Perth 9 Weeks In

ghost

Well we made it, and we are living here. I posted after about 3 weeks and I thought I should do an update.

Things arent so good after nine weeks. I guess im just posting on a bad day, but im feeling a little frustrated.

I dont want to be a "whingeing pom" but I guess its good to put these things down so that people coming know what to expect.

I love the place, I love the beaches, I love how friendly people are. Im getting frustrated with the "starting over" status.

Phone line, cost me nearly £200 ($300) to get a phone line put into our house, we had to have one as part of our rental agreement.

We cant get internet, as there are "no ports" available in our area. The only option was mobile internet. This is going to be inscuffcient as I am supposed to be starting business over here , and also with being freshly over here we want to skype with our family etc. So decided to to g0 with mobile for now , but couldnt get credit on a $60 a month mobile card, with no equipement because I dont have a job (was taking 6 months off) Actually finally got it in my wifes name, I think it was her occupation as housewife that did it.

Tried to get a drivers license but cant do that without the visa sticker in the passport, even though the visas are linked to the passport number( easy enough to get put in once you arrive, just another hurdle)

We have had issues with our agent letting a builder into our house when we werent there to fix something.

My youngest daughter (11) seems to be getting on fine at school, but seemed a little unhappy this week.

My middle daughter loves it (14) altho I wonder why that is, she did tell me that during one lesson they just played in the sea, the teacher brought in his surfboard and went surfing.

My olderst Daughter is 17, was 3/4 through her apprentiship as a hairdresser, but they want to start her from year one here which is frustrating (they dont have to pay as much) shes adamant shes going home at 18, which is another concern which hope will change.

TO top it all the contents of our house has been in customs for 3 weeks. I bought a motorcycle over, and I had a few spare pairs of handlebars I shipped over. Seems that customs want to tax me on the bars as part of the bike, which means the shipper has had to sift through our things to find them, and ultimately nothing has been released yet.

Seriously thought this morning about calling them up and telling them just to send everything back.

It seems that its the small things that are beating us, but it gets you down. Everythign was pretty well sorted in the uk.

Im sure it will get better once our bits get here and we sort all these mundane things out that you take for granted.

Well we made it, and we are living here. I posted after about 3 weeks and I thought I should do an update.

Things arent so good after nine weeks. I guess im just posting on a bad day, but im feeling a little frustrated.

I dont want to be a "whingeing pom" but I guess its good to put these things down so that people coming know what to expect.

I love the place, I love the beaches, I love how friendly people are. Im getting frustrated with the "starting over" status.

Phone line, cost me nearly £200 ($300) to get a phone line put into our house, we had to have one as part of our rental agreement.

We cant get internet, as there are "no ports" available in our area. The only option was mobile internet. This is going to be inscuffcient as I am supposed to be starting business over here , and also with being freshly over here we want to skype with our family etc. So decided to to g0 with mobile for now , but couldnt get credit on a $60 a month mobile card, with no equipement because I dont have a job (was taking 6 months off) Actually finally got it in my wifes name, I think it was her occupation as housewife that did it.

Tried to get a drivers license but cant do that without the visa sticker in the passport, even though the visas are linked to the passport number( easy enough to get put in once you arrive, just another hurdle)

We have had issues with our agent letting a builder into our house when we werent there to fix something.

My youngest daughter (11) seems to be getting on fine at school, but seemed a little unhappy this week.

My middle daughter loves it (14) altho I wonder why that is, she did tell me that during one lesson they just played in the sea, the teacher brought in his surfboard and went surfing.

My olderst Daughter is 17, was 3/4 through her apprentiship as a hairdresser, but they want to start her from year one here which is frustrating (they dont have to pay as much) shes adamant shes going home at 18, which is another concern which hope will change.

TO top it all the contents of our house has been in customs for 3 weeks. I bought a motorcycle over, and I had a few spare pairs of handlebars I shipped over. Seems that customs want to tax me on the bars as part of the bike, which means the shipper has had to sift through our things to find them, and ultimately nothing has been released yet.

Seriously thought this morning about calling them up and telling them just to send everything back.

It seems that its the small things that are beating us, but it gets you down. Everythign was pretty well sorted in the uk.

Im sure it will get better once our bits get here and we sort all these mundane things out that you take for granted.

Sorry to hear things haven't been quite as easy as you hoped.

With regards to the Driving Licence transfer though, can I ask which centre you went to? I went to West Perth, didn't even need to show my visa. Just filled in some paperwork, got my photo take and they transferred it over (did cost a little though!).

I went to joondalup. Apparently the rules changed 2 months ago.

Why don't you have a sticker in your passport? They put ours in at the airport on arrival. I am surprised you were able to enrol your children at school. I would not have been able to process the enrolment at my school without sighting a visa that entitled them to free schooling. If I didn't see a visa, I would have to charge school fees if you presented a UK birth certificate without proof of visa status.

Hey Ghost

No words of wisdom just wanted to empathise! Its tough man and one of things I completely underestimated was not having any of our "stuff" around us until the container arrived which of course was delayed from the original estimated DOA as most do seem to be :sad:

However six months down the line and I'm starting to feel much more settled. The homesickness comes in bouts but I'm handling it better. We have acquired most of the "things" that make a home for us and are looking forward to the icing on the cake....

Someone told me it takes two years to really feel at home here. That's a long time but we're having fun exploring our new country and have been up north for a camping holiday and had a few weekends away too. We feel it helps to put ourselves about so to speak and to ensure that we schedule in fun stuff as well as the mundane things that we need to do to have a real life!

There is lots coming up over the summer with festivals and events galore for all the family.

Not too sure what goes on up your way but these are a couple of good sites for things to do in the city...

http://www.showmeperth.com.au/

http://www.enjoyperth.com.au/

:hug:

hiya

ive been here 7 months now. where are you guys living ?

we used vivid wireless for internet and cant fault it, but we live in Perth so if your on the outskirts it might be harder to get

Driving licence i got a few months back, didnt need to show my visa, just rocked up, showed them my uk one, paid and did eye test, easy, theres one in Kewdale, opens at 830.

Esate agents are the worst ive ever met, rude, unprofessional and wont answer any questions that are remotly hard, others i know have had exactly the same issues, its abit of a nightmare that one.

Ive had massive issues with my shipping company, the stuff arrived eventually and then found it was damaged, 5 months on we are still fighting for our insurnace claim, so frustrating, wish i could have opted out entirely of paying insurnace.

it is very hard, around the 6 month mark reality hit me that i cant see my parents or friends when i want, skype and phone calls arent enough and ive found im very much out of sight out of mind now. I dont think anything can prepare you for starting all over again, its is exceptionally hard but in a nutshell id never go back.

The aussies are freindly but they are all very clicky, i find the majority of people wanting to be friends etc are poms plus you also have to deal with being labelled a pom consently which i find very tiresome, its certainly not as accepting here as many think, many cultures make for many diffences ive found

it has good and bad side to it like anyplace in the world, lifes never going to be perfect thats for sure :)

So sorry you are having such a tough time. It does take a while for things to fall into place. We got our drivers licenses changed with no problems. We did take a copy of our visa grant letter with us which was duly photocopied along with our UK licenses and passports. Hope you get sorted soon.

Liz x

Guest lol1984

We have recently moved to Kalgoorlie and know exactly how you feel. It is totally the little things that can leave you feeling so frustrated! Except here, because it's regional, everything is a whole lot harder still.

When I have down days I just think to myself that I have a well paid job, have a wonderful boyfriend who loves me to bits and am healthy. Believe me it helps just to remind yourself of what good stuff you do have.

9-12 weeks is the time where the initial euphoria wears off and reality begins, BUT, things do get better, its the little things we took for granted back home that do tend to wear you down, once sorted and ticked off the list it all falls into place, just persevere a bit longer and take averything as an experiment and experience, you will look back and not realise how you did everything but you just did, summers coming, and xmas ( still bizarr saying that). enjoy. dont look too far into the future re kids etc, just let things roll and flow with it. :cool:

Guest Beth101

Hey ghost,

Sorry to hear you're not settling as well as you'd hoped. It is difficult living in rented accommodation without your belongings, ours was delayed for 6 weeks and we found it hard looking at the few pieces of IKEA furniture and the deck chairs that we'd bought for that long.

Believe me, it gets so much better once you're surrounded by all your own stuff - it's surprising how fond you can be of stuff.

Have you tried joining any clubs since arriving - there are a lot of sports clubs and even just exercise groups. I found that a great way to meet people, who have the same interests as you. It can be difficult but you've just got to keep getting out there and meeting people, and eventually you'll meet new friends.

Good luck, and hope the next few weeks improve for you :biggrin:

We are up at yanchep, which is a little way out, and probably xplains some of our issues.

Vivid wireless doesn't work here.

We just had to show our visa letter to the school and had no issues with it. I know some. People got the sticker before they left, we never even had to show our visa coming through customs it's all linked now.

I did post another article on the issues with the transport , in another section of the website.

I do have a great house here with a lovely view of he ocean. I keep reminding myself of what October in the uk is like.

I've joined a gym, and have a few friends here . Im sure once we get these small things in place the rest will fall into place.

Thanks for the support

Sorry to hear you're on a downer .... it's hard and frustrating starting over but hopefully these are things that will occur only once.

Re school ... you'll find everything is now on winding up for xmas break in a few weeks, all assignments will have been done and end of year excursions being planned .. the kids will have worked hard all year and a relaxing time now is their reward.

Again whilst frustrating, it's not ususual for people to have to start courses again, skilled migrants like plumbers and migrants find they have to do extra courses, so putting it into context it's not unusual for them to re-start your daughter on her course.

Hope things pick up

Hi,

I've been here 9 weeks too, we were also told by Telstra (ADSL1) that there was "no ports" but I called iinet (ADSL2) and they had no problem with it and I had phone within a few days and broadband the following week...mayhem if you haven't already :yes:

Yesterday I had a iphone 4s delivered on contract with Optus $59 p/m, I had also been told in store that we wouldn't be able to get a contract mobile for at least 3mths so I went online and placed an order...I don't work either !!

Good Luck

Lynne x

Sorry to hear you're on a downer .... it's hard and frustrating starting over but hopefully these are things that will occur only once.

Re school ... you'll find everything is now on winding up for xmas break in a few weeks, all assignments will have been done and end of year excursions being planned .. the kids will have worked hard all year and a relaxing time now is their reward.

Again whilst frustrating, it's not ususual for people to have to start courses again, skilled migrants like plumbers and migrants find they have to do extra courses, so putting it into context it's not unusual for them to re-start your daughter on her course.

Hope things pick up

i read your post kept thinking bout tom jones subliminalmessages? :twitcy:

Guest Crosby Family
We are up at yanchep, which is a little way out, and probably xplains some of our issues.

Vivid wireless doesn't work here.

We just had to show our visa letter to the school and had no issues with it. I know some. People got the sticker before they left, we never even had to show our visa coming through customs it's all linked now.

I did post another article on the issues with the transport , in another section of the website.

I do have a great house here with a lovely view of he ocean. I keep reminding myself of what October in the uk is like.

I've joined a gym, and have a few friends here . Im sure once we get these small things in place the rest will fall into place.

Thanks for the support

Hi Ghost,

I understand how you are feeling, myself and hubby had 4 attempts to get drivers licence, so annoying as one persons says one thing then you go back and its different again, we to had to get visa put into passport and they had to email Ireland to check our licence over there so all in all it was crazy for such a simple thing but i was told like you that it was something new that came in.Did the licence on monday then on the way to drop my son to schoo on Wednesdayl a guy drove into the back of me on marmion ave not far from were we live only had the bloddy car 2 weeks, thankfully we are fully comp and he has insurance.Was just looking up vividwireless and we are moving to Jindalee so thay say we will have coverage ..... have to wait ans see i guess....I hope you weekend will be better and the weather is to be good so hopefully it will help if not Mindare Keys have a xmas thing goin on Sundaya nd a few bevies always helps to !!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS we are here 6 weeks and so far so good......except 4 the drivers licence LOL

Muriel

hey up pal, hope things get better.Iv been waiting ten years for my dream to happen, now im having all sorts of negative thoughts because of the cost of things there , i was over 10 years ago and things were cheaper.I have a thriving business here and wonder wether im doing the right thing.Hope things get better,by the way im in construction and it doesnt look like there is much work for me.Im starting all over again and it seems a bit frightening. Chin up pal . P.S its a bit of a low ball sending builder in without prior notice, id have gone ballistic,

Thanks for everyones post. Ive had a low moment and am feeling much better now. Our stuff gets delivered tomorrow and my bike is ready for to be collected soon, so will hopefully have it this week. I have to remeber for all the things that are better at home, there are lots of things that are better here. I went for a lovely long walk on the beach this morning with my wife, and everyone said hello. I just cant do that at home.

I will be looking at iinet tommorow and give them a go for internet.

We had foxtel installed last week and the very nice man asked us for a bbq on sat. We also met some new people today and took their number. hopefully have them around soon.

A few down moments, but im looking forward to all the up ones.

hey up pal, hope things get better.Iv been waiting ten years for my dream to happen, now im having all sorts of negative thoughts because of the cost of things there , i was over 10 years ago and things were cheaper.I have a thriving business here and wonder wether im doing the right thing.Hope things get better,by the way im in construction and it doesnt look like there is much work for me.Im starting all over again and it seems a bit frightening. Chin up pal . P.S its a bit of a low ball sending builder in without prior notice, id have gone ballistic,

I did the same mate, sold up my business to move out. but if you dont do it , you will never know.

NO regrets here, however it turns out. Hey ive lived in Australia!

Thanks for everyones post. Ive had a low moment and am feeling much better now. Our stuff gets delivered tomorrow and my bike is ready for to be collected soon, so will hopefully have it this week. I have to remeber for all the things that are better at home, there are lots of things that are better here. I went for a lovely long walk on the beach this morning with my wife, and everyone said hello. I just cant do that at home.

I will be looking at iinet tommorow and give them a go for internet.

We had foxtel installed last week and the very nice man asked us for a bbq on sat. We also met some new people today and took their number. hopefully have them around soon.

A few down moments, but im looking forward to all the up ones.

Hi Ghost,

Its good your still seeing the positives that made you make the move mate.

I guess we will all go through things like this and people like myself appreciate your posts as although you have had a bad few days it helps prepare others for what they may encounter!

Chin up and im sure you will look back on this time and wonder what the fuss was about!

Gary

I've had some REALLY bads days recently...I think it's quite normal !! I was all up for going home but then the next day I felt the opposite..hang in there and it will all be worth it.

Once it all falls into place it reduces the stress a bit, at one stage I felt like nothing was going right and mabe I had made a mistake...but I haven't...going home would have been a mistake !!!

Lynne xx

If you are like my husband he felt much better once he had his bike here but he had the same with customs wanting to include a set of spare wheels in the value of the bike and they wanted the mileage (it is a track bike so no speedo) so we then had to explain that it was not for road use etc etc.. but it did take a week or so longer than the rest of our container to be released.

With regard to the visa stamp and driving licence we had this also as there driving licence systems can not check the electronic visas, but you can get the lable put in by going to immigration in perth. I took all my families passports and it was done straight away, did not have to wait long.

We have been here 10 weeks and I am still feeling very restless and am waiting to feel settled but I am hoping once all the bits and pieces are in place and we are not chasing about every weekend trying to get stuff done we will start to enjoy being here.

Jayne