Going from ETA (subclass 976) to defacto (subclass 820) or sponsorship (subclass 457)

Guest fridgemaster

Guest fridgemaster

Hello

I recently entered Australia on an ETA visa with the intention of applying for a defacto visa once landing. I rang immigration yesterday and was told that regardless of how quickly my bridging visa was granted, it would not be activated until my ETA visa had expired (90 days from entering the country) and that I wouldn't be eligible to work until this time.

Is there any way around this restriction? I can think of worse places to be unemployed for 3 months :biggrin: but am keen to get working as soon as possible!

I also have a potential Australian job offer in the pipeline. Is there anything my prospective employer can do to get me into work more quickly? Immigration told me over the phone that a sponsorship visa also required my ETA to expire before being activated.

Thanks in advance!

Hello

I recently entered Australia on an ETA visa with the intention of applying for a defacto visa once landing. I rang immigration yesterday and was told that regardless of how quickly my bridging visa was granted, it would not be activated until my ETA visa had expired (90 days from entering the country) and that I wouldn't be eligible to work until this time.

Is there any way around this restriction? I can think of worse places to be unemployed for 3 months :biggrin: but am keen to get working as soon as possible!

I also have a potential Australian job offer in the pipeline. Is there anything my prospective employer can do to get me into work more quickly? Immigration told me over the phone that a sponsorship visa also required my ETA to expire before being activated.

Thanks in advance!

You have not been fully advised.