Christmas in Brisbane - help!

karl and caroline

We are due to move over next Friday with the family. The packers start tomorrow so there is a lot of frantic activity here at the moment! We arrive on Sunday 27 November & move into a rented house around 1 December as long as we have rented furniture by then! Our container won't be with us until the New Year

With the move, we have not really thought much about Christmas and my wife & I want to get the children into the Christmas spirit so they can get involved in something as soon as we are in our new house. We have 3 children aged 3, 2 & 8 months.

We don't know anyone in Brisbane at all at the moment and we've no idea where we can find information about what Christmasy things are going on in the local area. Is there a pantomine, carol concerts, Santa's grotto, Christmas craft markets, school fairs etc. Our elsest is worried Santa Claus won't know we have moved so is keen to meet him just to make sure he knows!

Any suggestions for children friendly Christmas events and activities greatly appreciated !!

Are we the only family that find that Christmas spirit is very hard to come by when its 32 degrees, and way too fn hot to cook anything... let alone a trad dinner with trimmings.....

Guess we will be having the xmas barbie again this year.... but it wont be christmas

Our elsest is worried Santa Claus won't know we have moved so is keen to meet him just to make sure he knows!

Why don't you write Santa a letter before you leave and then have a reply from Santa 'arrive' to her at your temp address a few days after you move in. Let her know he got her letter and will know where to find her house now at Christmas and that he hopes she likes her new home and so on. You can make it personal to her and include those little things that will make it special. Might be a nice touch rather than relying on an in store Santa.

As people have said individual suburbs/areas have their own smaller events but here are some of the big one's:

Lighting of the xmas tree

The night after you move in to your new house the traditional lighting of the xmas tree takes place in King George Square in the city. Friday, December 2, 2011, 6:45 – 7:45pm.

Xmas_tree_2010.jpg

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/Whats-on/Christmas/index.htm?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D95993348

Myer Christmas Parade and Pantomime

The Myer Christmas Parade and Pantomime with over 200 performers is showing nightly at 7pm from the 16th - 23rd December. Should be fun for the kids.

00013757_23_Super_Site_2.jpg

http://www.bnecity.com.au/Events/View.aspx?id=21857

Lord Mayors Carols in the City

On the 10th of December is the Lord Mayors Carols in the City...a big family concert at the Riverstage.

00005347_23_Super_Site_2.jpg

http://www.carolsinthecity.com.au/

Christmas Lights Competition

There is a big christmas lights competition right around brisbane.

10246_066_h330.jpg

You can either drive around using the published map or join one of the brisbane city council bus tours. Every kid loves it.

We're in the same position. We currently live in Christchurch NZ and will be arriving in Brisbane on 17 December. Our gear won't arrive till some time in January. We'll just have to wing it. Having lived in the southern hemisphere for 6 years, I've actually made far more of an effort to get into xmas here than I ever did in the UK. I actually really enjoy it here and the fact that January is holiday month and everyone is in a good mood! I'd say just go with it - it's different but that doesn't necessarily mean bad!!

Good luck

Kate