and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest sturner

MFL secondary teaching

Guest sturner

Hello

I need some advice please! Am really keen to leave London and see somewhere else. I am a mid-30's, qualified modern languages teacher (French, Spanish and Japanese). How employable am I over there? Would I find a job easily? Met a guy on a train and he said they're crying out for teachers in Brisbane, and a teacher from Sydney who has recently joined my school says Sydney would be easy too. Is it that simple? I need as much advice as poss before I take the plunge!!

Thanks, Sarah itchy-feet

From what research I have done Victoria are looking for LOTE (Languages other than English) teachers in French and Japanese, so these languages must be in high demand there. I only have French and Spanish so I may find it more difficult but with Japanese you should find it easier!

Hi

My question is a little more general - can anyone tell me if French is taught routinely in state schools in Australia? My second language is German but I can't imagine there is any call for that over there?

Thanks

I contacted the Dept of Ed in WA and they said that they mostly teach the Asian languages and Italian in the state schools there, but it you look up the private schools then French is widely taught in them. I would say it depends on the state and again private or state.

Many thanks, just been reading about the proposed national curriculum which does cover languages. Meanwhile, private schools might be the way.

Thanks again

Guest SupportPants
Hi

My question is a little more general - can anyone tell me if French is taught routinely in state schools in Australia? My second language is German but I can't imagine there is any call for that over there?

Thanks

I haven't seen French taught in Qld. The LOTE has invariably been Japanese or Indonesian. Can you qualify for a WHV visa? I don't think anyone is sponsoring teachers as there isn't a shortage- except perhaps for Maths and sciences.

I haven't seen French taught in Qld. The LOTE has invariably been Japanese or Indonesian. Can you qualify for a WHV visa? I don't think anyone is sponsoring teachers as there isn't a shortage- except perhaps for Maths and sciences.

Last time I looked, without having a job already over there, SA were sponsoring Secondary STEM subject teachers and Primary teachers for a 176 visa, all other Secondary teachers can apply for the 175 visa though (but not primary).

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

Guest SupportPants
Last time I looked, without having a job already over there, SA were sponsoring Secondary STEM subject teachers and Primary teachers for a 176 visa, all other Secondary teachers can apply for the 175 visa though (but not primary).

I'm not sure if SA are sponsoring but try that. Teachers are plentiful here in Oz - I qualified 3 years ago in secondary business and English but have only done supply here and there. I'm Qld regional sponsored though - it may be better down South.

I'm not sure if SA are sponsoring but try that. Teachers are plentiful here in Oz - I qualified 3 years ago in secondary business and English but have only done supply here and there. I'm Qld regional sponsored though - it may be better down South.

They sponsored me for STEM secondary a couple of months ago and are currently processing the sponsorship for a couple of friends, one secondary and two primary.

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.