You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

2tigers

Smoking ban in cars?

Seems about as sensible as banning mobile phone use in a car, but equally as unenforceable.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest guest37336

OK rant coming,:mad:.

As a smoker I DON'T smoke in the car if the kids are with me, neither do I with my good lady in the car. No matter the distance I travel I pull over into a layby or services and feed my filthy habit there and then, so there 'could' be a case for banning smoking with passengers that DON'T smoke.:unsure:

But surely to god and hell these muppets who purport to lead us can come up with something better to waste our money on.

How about this one, instead of saying it is OK to drive with a 'minimal' amount of legal booze in our systems they say NONE AT ALL, (lost votes shocker):no:

I have nothing against drinkers, used to be one myself, but in this day and age to say you CAN drink a 'legal' limit and then drive is bloody dumbfounding.

The LEGAL limit DOES affect our ability to operate a vehicle.

Smokers are the 'chosen' few at the moment, and I mean that in the most derogatory way.:mad::no:

I am a smoker and never smoke in the car or in the house. Even if you are by yourself, the smell remains there. It's not fair for others.

At times, I see a mother or father smoking in a car with children. I'm totally disgusted when I see that. If this new law prevents this, then I am happy.

Unfortunately, those people who live by themselves/drive the car alone all the time, are the ones to be hit with an unfairness on this.

I'd prefer to protect the children from inhaling unwanted smoke then an adult who wants to smoke :)-

Cheers

B!K3R

Can't see the problem if you want to smoke in your own personal space and its up your own common sense if you have passengers in the car not to subject them to it.

Now a non-smoker rant I hate it when you walk down a busy street and a smoker gets rid of a lungful over their shoulder right in your face :arghh:. So instead of a smoking/ driving ban I propose a smoking/ walking ban :idea:

So what if I can't spell Armagedon ? It's not the end of the world.

While some medico's are calling for a total ban the pollies have only put forward a motion for banning smoking with children in the car.

The benefit of the latter I guess is that it gives police who spot people doing this the right to stop them.

Don't know about banning it when kids aren't present though.

It really is a dilemma though...obviously people who smoke in the house with kids are exposing the children even worse than the car...but that will remain legal. It seems what we do to children in public can be legislated against more than what we do at home. Should it be all or nothing?

Guest guest37336
Can't see the problem if you want to smoke in your own personal space and its up your own common sense if you have passengers in the car not to subject them to it.

Now a non-smoker rant I hate it when you walk down a busy street and a smoker gets rid of a lungful over their shoulder right in your face :arghh:. So instead of a smoking/ driving ban I propose a smoking/ walking ban :idea:

I agree matey.:yes:

As a smoker who has tried to give up on several occasions I would agree with your ban.:idea:

I once when on a mission to give up went for an innocent walk down the road, however I got stuck :unsure: behind a chain smoker who sparked up one after another.:no:

I was only due to go to the corner shop (for some mints,:biglaugh:) but ended up twenty seven miles from my destination as the smoker I was following was an extreme walker and never stopped until he rocked up at home.:biglaugh:

its up your own common sense

That's the problem!

Not all people have this and some are self centered, 'the world revolves around me', 'who cares about others' attitude!

Cheers

Guest Guest 47403

It should be banned when children are in the car but there's no reason at all to blanket ban it.

If its so bad for us why don't they just ban smoking altogether :idea:

maybe thats something to do with the £10 billion a year from tax :huh:

So what if I can't spell Armagedon ? It's not the end of the world.

Should it be all or nothing?

Very tricky indeed mate. I think that our world is far from perfect. There will always be 'bad' things happening and we cannot control everything.

So I would prevent the obvious, 'like banning smoking in cars with kids' etc. If we take it further, like banning smoking in our house, then we will loose our free will, which is important in a way, even if bad things happen.

Children will always suffer. Even those starving to death in 3rd world countries. We can then punish the authorities for letting them die. But no, we cant. It's a property if this dimension, which we call earth.

Not sure if I explained with I mean... :unsure:

Guest guest37336

I've long been an advocate of 'Shock and Awe' tactics when it comes to certain spheres of our lives. Bugger this trying to police stuff when in some cases it is way too late, catch em young and frighten them to death as far as I am concerned,:yes:.

Instead of being a nanny state we need to catch youngsters at an age when a message will 'sink' in hopefully.

Show the real dangers of smoking, in graphic detail, truly horrific scenes from real people who are living with smoking related diseases, and those family members that have lost loved ones through the evil weed.

Same goes for booze, show graphically what it can do, not only to yourself but many others around you. I remember a few years a ago the dangers of NOT wearing a seat belt (I think) shown on TV (Ad) and soon enough complaints came in about it being too graphic,:goofy:.

It was soon enough taken of air and 'refined'. What is the problem with showing the true dangers of smoking, drugs, booze if this stops many falling into the tarp later in life.

But more importantly the government instead of pussy footing like they are now should have the power of their convictions and show all what the true dangers are,:idea:

I am a smoker and and ex drug user and boozer, maybe, just maybe if I had been shocked to the core when younger I wouldn't have 'chosen' such a path that caused untold grief to me, but more importantly those I 'purported' to love and care about at the time.:idea::no:

Very tricky indeed mate. I think that our world is far from perfect. There will always be 'bad' things happening and we cannot control everything.

So I would prevent the obvious, 'like banning smoking in cars with kids' etc. If we take it further, like banning smoking in our house, then we will loose our free will, which is important in a way, even if bad things happen.

Children will always suffer. Even those starving to death in 3rd world countries. We can then punish the authorities for letting them die. But no, we cant. It's a property if this dimension, which we call earth.

Not sure if I explained with I mean... :unsure:

Your argument is along the lines I was thinking but was unsure where the loss of free will takes place....is there really any practicable difference between free will in your house and outside in your car? Are you not losing free will if banned in your car as well?

And on the flip side given we already impede free will when we stop someone bashing their child in their own house why not ban this other form of child abuse in the house?

Is it a matter of degrees maybe? The threshold for abuse is lower in public than in the house?

Your argument is along the lines I was thinking but was unsure where the loss of free will takes place....is there really any practicable difference between free will in your house and outside in your car? Are you not losing free will if banned in your car as well?

And on the flip side given we already impede free will when we stop someone bashing their child in their own house why not ban this other form of child abuse in the house?

Is it a matter of degrees maybe? The threshold for abuse is lower in public than in the house?

I agree with your logic. Smoking in the house with kids is the same like in the car. And like you said, bashing is banned anywhere. Smoking is not as bad as bashing but why ban in the car and not in the house too. Get your gist.

What the hell, ban smoking in houses too! :laugh: Except in the garden :wink:

Cheers

I agree with your logic. Smoking in the house with kids is the same like in the car. And like you said, bashing is banned anywhere. Smoking is not as bad as bashing but why ban in the car and not in the house too. Get your gist.

What the hell, ban smoking in houses too! :laugh: Except in the garden :wink:

Cheers

Heh, I wasn't giving the answer, just proposing the question :biggrin:

Heh, I wasn't giving the answer, just proposing the question :biggrin:

Yes, I know. I gave you the answer after thinking it twice :cute:

This is an Aussie poster....... Smoking%20banned%20cars%20kids.gif

Or how about this!

301103_10150501824678298_558373297_11404287_1191106824_n.jpg

"If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine"

I vaguely recall - I gave up smoking on 12th September, 1977 - that sometimes, I would take a drag, the cigarette would stick to my lips, my finger would carry on down the cigarette, and flip the burning end into my lap and/or burn my fingers. Just the sort of thing you'd want to happen driving.

Plus of course, there is the distraction of reaching for a cigarette and lighting same. The reason the 'Gestapo' want to ban various activities in the car is that they are all distracting. I'm sure there was a bad accident on a motorway in the UK when a driver was scrabbling for some sweets.

Here in Australia (and presumably also in the UK?) women continue to smoke and drink during pregnancy.

smokin in a car with a non smoker or children is just common sence , dont do it .......i really hope they ban it here as these bush fires are due to the smokers flickin their dimps out , they dont use ash trays in the car nobody does ,and they dont flick ash on their car floor either .......next time you stop at traffic lights , just have look down at all the effin dimps these litter bugs leave .......so, im not allowed to drink n drive why should you lot be able to smoke n drive .........?

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Guest JT1977

I agree with banning smoking if kids are in the car. If there is a non-smoker in the car? Nah, it's the smokers car, so it's their choice! The non-smoker needs to accept that or find another way of getting to where he/she wants to!

The BMA say that they want a blanket ban. Why? If I'm driving along and I want to smoke, in my own car, why can't I? There's enough idiots on the road as it is, without having to add in thousands of smokers getting tetchy because they need a smoke! Which will happen!

The BMA are just trying to reduce, further and further, our personal sphere where we can smoke, with a step by step approach to creating an all out ban on smoking. This would actually hit everyone hard, when it is seen the amount of revenue brought into the taxmans coffers, so tax would rise elsewhere!

The government and all of these quangos need to get their noses and paws out of our personal lives.

Right, off for a smoke now! :D

It should be banned when children are in the car but there's no reason at all to blanket ban it.

id agree i remember as a kid in the back, was bloody awful, not only do you have travel sickness, you're being choked at the same time, an open window just forces it around, does nothing to help.

the tax thing, i cant remember the actual numbers, it was in the billions, but the tax revenue from cigs is roughly 10x what the NHS spends on treating smoking related illness. but they still bang on about stopping, just loud enough to keep the do-gooders off their backs!

the thing is if a person is selfish, with a "i don't give a sh!t" attitude, who is going to stop them hurting their kids by strapping them into a smoke filled box?

the only people who have any power to act are the plod, and that means laws.

seems overkill, but its needed sadly.

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

I agree with banning smoking if kids are in the car. If there is a non-smoker in the car? Nah, it's the smokers car, so it's their choice! The non-smoker needs to accept that or find another way of getting to where he/she wants to!

The BMA say that they want a blanket ban. Why? If I'm driving along and I want to smoke, in my own car, why can't I? There's enough idiots on the road as it is, without having to add in thousands of smokers getting tetchy because they need a smoke! Which will happen!

The BMA are just trying to reduce, further and further, our personal sphere where we can smoke, with a step by step approach to creating an all out ban on smoking. This would actually hit everyone hard, when it is seen the amount of revenue brought into the taxmans coffers, so tax would rise elsewhere!

The government and all of these quangos need to get their noses and paws out of our personal lives.

Right, off for a smoke now! :D

Your 'hit' surely which you can no more do without than a heroin addict!

Guest JT1977
Your 'hit' surely which you can no more do without than a heroin addict!

Yet still legal and without any of the effects on motor skills, unlike smack! You have moved away from a debate about smoking in cars into just a rant now!

Yet still legal and without any of the effects on motor skills, unlike smack! You have moved away from a debate about smoking in cars into just a rant now!

Each time you take your hand away from the wheel to reach for your fags, push the lighter on, take a drag, stub it out, chuck it out of the window, all count as distractions, all likely to cause an accident.

Legal or illegal, they are both addictive. I mean, nobody would CHOOSE to smoke would they?