You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

2tigers

Smoking ban in cars?

I'm not a wowser or a puritan and I love going to pubs and cafes but smoking is the one activity that interferes with my enjoyment of everyday life.

Why should I not be able to enjoy the beer garden in a pub. Why do I have to continue to breathe cigarette smoke. Why do the staff, supposedly working in a smoke-free enviromnent, still have to endure it? People think that, just because it's in the open air, smoking is no longer unpleasant for the non-smoker. Football clubs recognize that by banning smoking completely.

I don't envy smokers. I pity them and that's not being patronising. The only way I was able to give up was to tell myself that when I smelt that glorious aroma, then I had to think, 'I am no longer addicted.'

I still do stupid things when I am driving. I try not to but nobody's perfect. I even 'paid' for it once when I pulled over to the side of the road to answer my phone. A bloke reversed into me. Does that mean that I should ALWAYS answer my phone when I am driving in future?

GTF:laugh:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Guest guest37336
I think smoking should be banned in cars, passengers or not. Regardless of the health implication for yourself or your passengers, you are driving a one ton (or more) piece of deadly machinery whilst simultaneously needing very intricate use of fine motor skills to hold and inhale from a very small object which is reaching 400-700C.

Bad move all round if you ask me.

Hi Paul.

I understand what you're saying, the times I have done it is unbelievable, but every cloud and all that.

A & E in Hertfordshire now give away a free T - Shirt to the 'Die' hard smoker.:notworthy:

blistered_fingers_tshirt-p235739547379448879q6ly_400.jpg

Guest JT1977
I'm not a wowser or a puritan and I love going to pubs and cafes but smoking is the one activity that interferes with my enjoyment of everyday life.

Why should I not be able to enjoy the beer garden in a pub. Why do I have to continue to breathe cigarette smoke. Why do the staff, supposedly working in a smoke-free enviromnent, still have to endure it? People think that, just because it's in the open air, smoking is no longer unpleasant for the non-smoker. Football clubs recognize that by banning smoking completely.

I don't envy smokers. I pity them and that's not being patronising. The only way I was able to give up was to tell myself that when I smelt that glorious aroma, then I had to think, 'I am no longer addicted.'

I still do stupid things when I am driving. I try not to but nobody's perfect. I even 'paid' for it once when I pulled over to the side of the road to answer my phone. A bloke reversed into me. Does that mean that I should ALWAYS answer my phone when I am driving in future?

So you wanted us to stop smoking in the pub, now outside? Tell me, where DO you want us to smoke? If we smoke in the garden, heaven forbid, we are polluting your air! If we smoke in our house, we are killing any visitors to our house! We're not allowed to have smoking rooms anymore. All because you are an ex-smoker and will never be happy, until smoking tobacco is illegal and heroin is legal!

Guest guest30085

Ahem . . . . . as a 'Reformed Smoker' I think I should now stand on my very high pedestal and tell you all off for being distracted whilst driving, the cost to the NHS, not thinking of your children's health, not thinking of your children's future, not being concerned about second hand smoke affecting other people, how much you smell . . . . . . . . . . . . . etc etc

Except I may not be able to preach for long as I may end up doing 20 years for first degree murder as Im such a miserable, irritable :mad::arghh::goofy:

So all you smokers carry on . . . . . . you lucky buggers :biglaugh:

Guest JT1977
Ahem . . . . . as a 'Reformed Smoker' I think I should now stand on my very high pedestal and tell you all off for being distracted whilst driving, the cost to the NHS, not thinking of your children's health, not thinking of your children's future, not being concerned about second hand smoke affecting other people, how much you smell . . . . . . . . . . . . . etc etc

Except I may not be able to preach for long as I may end up doing 20 years for first degree murder as Im such a miserable, irritable :mad::arghh::goofy:

So all you smokers carry on . . . . . . you lucky buggers :biglaugh:

Whether I was smoker or not, that was funny! :biglaugh:

Guest guest37336

As some of you know I have a 'vision',:shocked::biglaugh:. And to an extent my vision is based around the teachings from the OU and 'Che',:shocked::policeman::notworthy:

I am three quarters of the way there, I have longish hair, a slight 'goaty', a beret, camo clothes and assorted books about 'revolution' etc.:idea:

BUT,

I am not even contemplating the cigar after reading this thread.

Can you imagine, the fight against imperialism, a daft Beret, unshaven, treat some with contempt, believe that some should be taken 'out',:shocked: and my biggest worry is the the anti smoking police will bitch about the Cuban Cigar, it's a mad world ain't it.:biglaugh::goofy:

PFA1008.jpg

The basic point that smokers will never grasp, unless they become ex-smokers, is just how UNPLEASANT smoking is too non-smokers. They think we are just wowsers who can't stand to see anybody else enjoy themselves, be it smoking, drinking, chocolate, bacon, coffee.

When I smell freshly brewed coffee, frying bacon, pass a bloke sitting outside a pub with a glass of beer by his elbow, they are all wonderful. But smoking - cigarettes, cigars, pipes, is, at best an unpleasant smell, slightly less offensive than dog ****, and at worst, it is all pervading with no escape. Even in the so-called fresh air, it is unpleasant.

Throw in the dangers to health of 'second-hand smoke' and what was previously just an unpleasant smell becomes something to be feared.

Smokers will NEVER get it. They love the smell and as I said, it's only when you give up that you realize just how unpleasant it really is for the non-smoker. It's not self-righeousness but guilt that we feel for having imposed such a nasty thing on our fellows.

Guest JT1977

But what you ex-smokers do not realise is that whilst many non-smokers may not like the smell, you lot have a complete hatred of it. It is self-righteous or else you wouldn't mention the fact that you smoked. I have already said that it is guilt for you, but do not class all smokers as the same inconsiderate smokers as what you must have been. When I've quit smoking in the past, it made no difference to me being around other smokers, whether that was in a pub or in the great outdoors.

As for the whole thing with cigars and pipes, I know many non-smokers who enjoy the aroma of my cigars and even more who love the scent of my pipe (that is NOT a euphemism!)! When I smoke a pipe the only ones who complain are the ex-smokers.

So yes, with my experiences of being both a smoker and a non-smoker, because of the reaction towards me by smokers, non-smokers and ex-smokers when I smoke my various tobacco paraphenalia, I have gained the perception that ex-smokers are jealous!

:sad:I hate the smell ..... if i go in to someones house who has smoked in it ......if someone gets on the bus after having a cig i don't like the smell :frown:

But i'm one of those dirty , smellie peeps too :yes: i enjoy smoking ( the hit at the back of the throat ahuh disgusting ) . I always ask if any non smokers are with me is it ok if i have a smoke ( i only smoke outdoors ) . I do think people shouldn't smoke in the cars etc or near any non smokers also no eating , drinking , put lippy on , check their hair turn to tell the children to sit still in the car too . I can't see how they will police it ( lol they haven't got enough police now ) :rolleyes:maybe they are thinking of bringing in the smoking police , make more jobs but for less money .

These arguements can go on for ever , although one thing that really grates at me is when ex smokers get on their high horse, , Do you remember what it was like eh ?

but we all have freedom of speech and can comment

Good on ya for giving up welldone :hug:

Brides x

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle:cute:

But what you ex-smokers do not realise is that whilst many non-smokers may not like the smell, you lot have a complete hatred of it. It is self-righteous or else you wouldn't mention the fact that you smoked. I have already said that it is guilt for you, but do not class all smokers as the same inconsiderate smokers as what you must have been. When I've quit smoking in the past, it made no difference to me being around other smokers, whether that was in a pub or in the great outdoors.

As for the whole thing with cigars and pipes, I know many non-smokers who enjoy the aroma of my cigars and even more who love the scent of my pipe (that is NOT a euphemism!)! When I smoke a pipe the only ones who complain are the ex-smokers.

So yes, with my experiences of being both a smoker and a non-smoker, because of the reaction towards me by smokers, non-smokers and ex-smokers when I smoke my various tobacco paraphenalia, I have gained the perception that ex-smokers are jealous!

It takes a long while for some ex-smokers to completely lose the yearning, sometimes never. My dad never stopped wanting to smoke. But he listened to his doctor not his 'heart.'

But envy an addiction that is SO dangerous to one's health. Envy someone who is paying $18 a day, assuming they smoke one pack, for something that is designed both to 'hook' you and to destroy your health? That is insanity. You probably WANT ex-smokers to envy you. That is understandable. I learnt to tell smokers that 'I did not smoke' not 'No thanks, I've given up' just in case they said 'go on, just one wont' hurt you.'

Last night I ate a burger and chips AND an ice cream. I try to tell myself that it is something i do occasionally and I usually eat very healthily. But I still felt a little guilty thinking about my cholesterol levels and the statins I take to control it.

I tell myself that it my little treat, that once a week is OK. It's the same with having a couple of beers. I hope so but with smoking there is no safe level. One of my uncles had to give up his one or two fags a day after he suffered a stroke.

Of course he could have told his doctor to get nicked too.

:sad:I hate the smell ..... if i go in to someones house who has smoked in it ......if someone gets on the bus after having a cig i don't like the smell :frown:

But i'm one of those dirty , smellie peeps too :yes: i enjoy smoking ( the hit at the back of the throat ahuh disgusting ) . I always ask if any non smokers are with me is it ok if i have a smoke ( i only smoke outdoors ) . I do think people shouldn't smoke in the cars etc or near any non smokers also no eating , drinking , put lippy on , check their hair turn to tell the children to sit still in the car too . I can't see how they will police it ( lol they haven't got enough police now ) :rolleyes:maybe they are thinking of bringing in the smoking police, make more jobs but for less money . e

These arguements can go on for ever , although one thing that really grates at me is when ex smokers get on their high horse, , Do you remember what it was like eh ?

but we all have freedom of speech and can comment

Good on ya for giving up welldone :hug:

Brides x

We already have 'smoking police.' They are also called 'doctors' and they ride the highest horses of all. Sometimes they are so high off the ground that you try to pretend you cannot hear what they are saying.

We already have 'smoking police.' They are also called 'doctors' and they ride the highest horses of all. Sometimes they are so high off the ground that you try to pretend you cannot hear what they are saying.

They are advisors , if i listened and took notice of everything that was advised to myself by a doctor i would have to live in a bubble ,mind the plastic that the bubble was made out of probably would have some chemical that would probably kill me too .

I'm fine with a ban with smoking in cars if there are children in the car . If a non smoker is in a car with a smoker then they are adults surely they can ask that person not to smoke .

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle:cute:

Guest JT1977
It takes a long while for some ex-smokers to completely lose the yearning, sometimes never. My dad never stopped wanting to smoke. But he listened to his doctor not his 'heart.'

But envy an addiction that is SO dangerous to one's health. Envy someone who is paying $18 a day, assuming they smoke one pack, for something that is designed both to 'hook' you and to destroy your health? That is insanity. You probably WANT ex-smokers to envy you. That is understandable. I learnt to tell smokers that 'I did not smoke' not 'No thanks, I've given up' just in case they said 'go on, just one wont' hurt you.'

Last night I ate a burger and chips AND an ice cream. I try to tell myself that it is something i do occasionally and I usually eat very healthily. But I still felt a little guilty thinking about my cholesterol levels and the statins I take to control it.

I tell myself that it my little treat, that once a week is OK. It's the same with having a couple of beers. I hope so but with smoking there is no safe level. One of my uncles had to give up his one or two fags a day after he suffered a stroke.

Of course he could have told his doctor to get nicked too.

An addiction is an addiction and will never leave you. So, tell me, why do you feel the need to berate smokers? Especially when I have already shown that booze and obesity already cost the NHS more! Would you start calling someone who is overweight fat to their face? Would you berate anyone who drinks, even in moderation, seeing as they cost the the taxpayer more? How are you still able to berate smokers yet not a junkie? Especially when you have already admitted that you want tobacco banned, crystal meth legal, yet would rather your son/daughter smoked than took crystal meth. You really are full of contradictions!

Guest JT1977

So the doctors can arrest us? Wow! I think you need to let them know, they, along with the population seem to have forgotten about that particular information!

An addiction is an addiction and will never leave you. So, tell me, why do you feel the need to berate smokers? Especially when I have already shown that booze and obesity already cost the NHS more! Would you start calling someone who is overweight fat to their face? Would you berate anyone who drinks, even in moderation, seeing as they cost the the taxpayer more? How are you still able to berate smokers yet not a junkie? Especially when you have already admitted that you want tobacco banned, crystal meth legal, yet would rather your son/daughter smoked than took crystal meth. You really are full of contradictions!

Where are your figures? I researched the NHS statistics and have re-posted them below for your perusal. Smoking is the no 1 cost, then obesity, then alcohol. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

I wouldn't criticise anyone to their face and people who drink or are obese generally don't offend me. Drunk people do of course and that is the main problem with alcohol in society - binge drinking, not moderate drinking.

Smokers as such do not offend me. I just can't stand the smell of smoking and passive smoking is a known health hazard. Obese people do not cause me any harm and drunks usually don't and I try to avoid them. Avoiding passive cigarette smoke is almost impossible.

Your logic is perverse. Smoking whilst driving is OK because drivers have other bad habits. Smoking in general is OK because there are other bad habits that are dangerous to our health.

I would not want my children to become addicted to any substance harmful to their health but the fact remains that the most harmful substances are the 'legal' drugs - tobacco and alcohol.

Smoking at Number One, Obesity at Number Two, Alcohol at Number Three.

4.2 Costs to the NHS

4.2.1 Estimated costs to the NHS

Illness and disease associated with smoking gives rise to costs in the NHS. Direct costs of smoking arise from GP consultations, prescriptions for drugs and various costs related to treating diseases attributable to smoking. Research carried out by Oxford University estimated that smoking cost the NHS in the UK £5.2 billion in 2005/06, approximately 5.5% of total healthcare costs4. This updates the estimated cost of between £1.4 billion and £1.5 billion a year, estimated by research carried out by the Centre for Health Economics at the University of York5 in 1998. It is important to consider that these are costs of treating smoking-related illnesses and do not include costs related to working days lost or social security ill health payments for example, nor do they include any costs related to the effects of second-hand smoking

In 2008, the then government produced an update to the 2003 report. The report, The cost of alcohol harm to the NHS in England6, takes into account increases in unit costs as well as more recent and accurate data on alcohol consumption and harm. Using similar methods to the 2003 report, it is estimated that the cost of alcohol harm to the NHS in England is £2.7 billion in 2006/07 prices (Figure 4.6).

How much does obesity cost the NHS?

26 May, 2011 - 14:07 -- Jonathan Balls

fat%20boy.jpg

In his speech in support of reforming the NHS last week, David Cameron stated that obesity was costing the NHS £4 billion a year, with this expected to reach £6.3 billion by 2015.

So the doctors can arrest us? Wow! I think you need to let them know, they, along with the population seem to have forgotten about that particular information!

The original poster referred to 'smoking police', no doubt facetiously, and I merely went along for the ride.

Doctors try to 'arrest' our minds and the number one 'thought crime' is smoking.

I presume that the 'real' police can arrest you for smoking in certain circumstances - causing an accident, starting a fire, (poor old Steve Marriott) smoking in a non-smoking area.

Guest JT1977
Where are your figures? I researched the NHS statistics and have re-posted them below for your perusal. Smoking is the no 1 cost, then obesity, then alcohol. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

I wouldn't criticise anyone to their face and people who drink or are obese generally don't offend me. Drunk people do of course and that is the main problem with alcohol in society - binge drinking, not moderate drinking.

Smokers as such do not offend me. I just can't stand the smell of smoking and passive smoking is a known health hazard. Obese people do not cause me any harm and drunks usually don't and I try to avoid them. Avoiding passive cigarette smoke is almost impossible.

Your logic is perverse. Smoking whilst driving is OK because drivers have other bad habits. Smoking in general is OK because there are other bad habits that are dangerous to our health.

I would not want my children to become addicted to any substance harmful to their health but the fact remains that the most harmful substances are the 'legal' drugs - tobacco and alcohol.

Smoking at Number One, Obesity at Number Two, Alcohol at Number Three.

4.2 Costs to the NHS

4.2.1 Estimated costs to the NHS

Illness and disease associated with smoking gives rise to costs in the NHS. Direct costs of smoking arise from GP consultations, prescriptions for drugs and various costs related to treating diseases attributable to smoking. Research carried out by Oxford University estimated that smoking cost the NHS in the UK £5.2 billion in 2005/06, approximately 5.5% of total healthcare costs4. This updates the estimated cost of between £1.4 billion and £1.5 billion a year, estimated by research carried out by the Centre for Health Economics at the University of York5 in 1998. It is important to consider that these are costs of treating smoking-related illnesses and do not include costs related to working days lost or social security ill health payments for example, nor do they include any costs related to the effects of second-hand smoking

In 2008, the then government produced an update to the 2003 report. The report, The cost of alcohol harm to the NHS in England6, takes into account increases in unit costs as well as more recent and accurate data on alcohol consumption and harm. Using similar methods to the 2003 report, it is estimated that the cost of alcohol harm to the NHS in England is £2.7 billion in 2006/07 prices (Figure 4.6).

How much does obesity cost the NHS?

26 May, 2011 - 14:07 -- Jonathan Balls

fat%20boy.jpg

In his speech in support of reforming the NHS last week, David Cameron stated that obesity was costing the NHS £4 billion a year, with this expected to reach £6.3 billion by 2015.

So I take it you never read the links that I put? How did you put it? " Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

Guest JT1977
The original poster referred to 'smoking police', no doubt facetiously, and I merely went along for the ride.

Doctors try to 'arrest' our minds and the number one 'thought crime' is smoking.

I presume that the 'real' police can arrest you for smoking in certain circumstances - causing an accident, starting a fire, (poor old Steve Marriott) smoking in a non-smoking area.

No, you brought the "smoking police" back in when it suited you and then was ridiculed! As for "thought crime" isn't that the territory of 1984?

I see you still have no answer on your contradictions with regards to banning smoking yet making illegal drugs legal? And which one you would rather have your son/daughter/grandchild take up!

I must admit when it comes to smokers costing the NHS argument my answer would simply be take all tha taxes made off the cigs and bacca and set up a smokers hospital, all the do-gooders cant complain if smokers taxes pay for their own treatment. After all, with all the tax paid compared to whats paid on fatty food and alcohol the smokers hospital would be like a top hotel compared to an NHS one...

Hence the reason smoking will not be banned,,,,, it would hit the goverments pocket too much.

In my familys expereince my father who is and always has been a heavy drinker and Nan who never drank or smoked cost the NHS more than hubbys gran who smoked 60 a day from being 18 until she passed at 80+ years.

I hate the smell of alcohol, to me a non drinker its a disgusting smell when someone who has had a drink speaks to me it turns my stomach, but i wont stamp my feet for it to be banned or be done behind closed doors. We are all individuls and can make up our own minds, if you want to drink,,, drink,,, if you want to smoke,, smoke, if you want to do drugs,, do them,,,, we dont need some do gooder telling us what to do...

As for smoking being worse than beer ,, how many accidents have you read where someone having a fag has driven and killed someone ? not many in comparrison to drunk drivers,, How many people have died doing something stupid whilst under the influence of alcohol? a lot more than those who have had a fag,,,,so IMO why target tobacco and not alcohol?

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

No, you brought the "smoking police" back in when it suited you and then was ridiculed! As for "thought crime" isn't that the territory of 1984?

I see you still have no answer on your contradictions with regards to banning smoking yet making illegal drugs legal? And which one you would rather have your son/daughter/grandchild take up!

If they were legal which would mean that the manufacture would be taken out of the backyard laboratory and thus strictly controlled, then probably LSD or E.

Ten Most Dangerous Drugs

Posted By Dr. Ben Kim

<IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 450px; HEIGHT: 30px; OVERFLOW: visible; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://drbenkim.com/ten-most-dangerous-drugs.html&layout=standard&show_faces=false&width=450&action=like&font=tahoma&colorscheme=light&height=80&ref=artTop" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>

<!-- get node content -->According to a study published this month in The Lancet, alcohol and tobacco rank among the ten most dangerous substances used by humans. Both alcohol and tobacco have been assessed to be more dangerous than illegal drugs like marijuana or ecstasy.

The following three factors were considered in ranking the harmfulness of each drug that was evaluated:

• Physical harm to the user

• Addictive potential of the drug

• The drug's overall impact on society

Psychiatrists who specialize in treating addictive behavior and legal or police officials with scientific or medical expertise were asked to assign a score to each of the three factors listed above for each drug that was evaluated in this study. All told, 20 different drugs were evaluated, including cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, amphetamines, and LSD.

Ranked from most to least dangerous, the ten most dangerous substances were deemed to be:

1. Heroin - popular street names include smack, skag, and junk.

2. Cocaine - often referred to as snow, flake, coke, and blow.

3. Barbiturates - popular slang names include yellow jackets, reds, blues, Amy's, and rainbows.

4. Street Methadone

5. Alcohol

6. Ketamine - a powerful hallucinogen, often referred to as Special K.

7. Benzodiazepines - a family of sedative drugs.

8. Amphetamines - known as greenies among baseball players.

9. Tobacco

10. Buprenorphine - also called bupe or subbies.

The remaining drugs that were assessed in this study ranked as follows:

1. Cannabis - includes marijuana.

2. Solvents - volatile substances that can be inhaled, such as glue, nail polish remover, paints, hair spray, and lighter fuel (gas).

3. 4-MTA - is a derivative of amphetamine and has similar effects to ecstasy.

4. LSD

5. Methylphenidate - central nervous system stimulant, commonly sold as ritalin.

6. Anabolic steroids

7. GHB - short for Gamma hydroxybutyrate, a powerful central nervous system depressant, most commonly known as the date rape drug.

8. Ecstasy

9. Alkyl nitrates - group of drugs commonly referred to as poppers.

10. Khat - an amphetamine-like stimulant.

It is estimated that tobacco causes 40 percent of all hospital illnesses, while alcohol is involved in more than 50 percent of all visits to hospital emergency rooms. In light of these statistics, the authors of this study question why alcohol and tobacco are legal to use within current drug policies for Britain and the United States, while less harmful drugs like ecstasy and LSD are deemed illegal to use.

The bottom line: alcohol and tobacco are two of the most dangerous substances that you can expose yourself to on a regular basis. In terms of overall potential to cause harm, if used regularly, alcohol and tobacco belong in the same category as other recreational drugs like cocaine and heroin.

Smoking is a far worse danger to your health than drinking according to all the studies, smoking causes cancer in most smokers , drinking affects a small percentage...make your choice.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Guest JT1977

So tell me, where would they purchase the opium? From the same drug lords we are fighting in Afghanistan? Or are we to stop growing crops and rearing animals to grow opium poppies? Where are we going to buy the cocaine? etc. What are we to do with drug related crime? I am not on about for the addicts to get the money, but the effects of the drugs, such as psychosis. Also, different reports read different conclusions. Yes, alcohol and tobacco creates hospital admissions, but how many more would there be if hard drugs are legal and more people took them?

You still have not answered the question. No more dodging the question, no more acting like an MP being questioned by Jeremy Paxman. Would you rather you child was addicted to crystal meth/heroin/cocaine/crack or tobacco? Please, answer this!

Right, all you smokers can expose yourselves to the dangers of smoking but I chose not to smoke and expose myself to these dangers. I repect your choice to smoke so respect my and many other non smokers decision to not hasten our death and reduce our health by not exposing us to the effects of your enviromental tobacco smoke. Do it in the privacy of your own home or far enough away from others that it has no effect on their health.

Jumping off my sopa box now

• Heart disease mortality - an estimated 35,000 to 62,000 deaths are caused from heart disease in people who are not current smokers, but who are exposed to ETS
  • Acute and chronic coronary heart disease
  • Passive smoking has been linked to the narrowing of the carotid arteries, which carry blood to the brain
  • Exposure to secondhand smoke hastens hardening of the arteries, a condition known as artherosclerosis
  • Continual exposure to ETS has been shown to nearly double the chance of heart attack

Secondhand Smoke - Worse Than We Thought

Secondhand smoke is serious business, and should be a concern for anyone who breathes it in. Non-smokers inhaling secondhand smoke share some of the health risks smokers face. But smokers do face the worst of it - the risks of smoking are compounded by breathing cigarette smoke in for a second time.

Don't underestimate the dangers of ETS. While secondhand smoke may not kill as many people as smoking does, it is toxic and claims thousands of lives every year around the world.

Guest JT1977
Right, all you smokers can expose yourselves to the dangers of smoking but I chose not to smoke and expose myself to these dangers. I repect your choice to smoke so respect my and many other non smokers decision to not hasten our death and reduce our health by not exposing us to the effects of your enviromental tobacco smoke. Do it in the privacy of your own home or far enough away from others that it has no effect on their health.

Jumping off my sopa box now

• Heart disease mortality - an estimated 35,000 to 62,000 deaths are caused from heart disease in people who are not current smokers, but who are exposed to ETS

• Acute and chronic coronary heart disease

• Passive smoking has been linked to the narrowing of the carotid arteries, which carry blood to the brain

• Exposure to secondhand smoke hastens hardening of the arteries, a condition known as artherosclerosis

• Continual exposure to ETS has been shown to nearly double the chance of heart attack

Secondhand Smoke - Worse Than We Thought

Secondhand smoke is serious business, and should be a concern for anyone who breathes it in. Non-smokers inhaling secondhand smoke share some of the health risks smokers face. But smokers do face the worst of it - the risks of smoking are compounded by breathing cigarette smoke in for a second time.

Don't underestimate the dangers of ETS. While secondhand smoke may not kill as many people as smoking does, it is toxic and claims thousands of lives every year around the world.

And what about all of us who already are? This is where this argument came from. All of the smokers agreed with not smoking in the car when there are others around. We have been taken out of the pubs and on to the streets, which I agreed with, but when you then have an ex-smoker then complaining about someone smoking in the outside area of the pub, it takes the mickey! When the ex-smokers want us to stop smoking outside as it pollutes the air, yet we don't want to smoke indoors when the kids are there. As for smoking in the car, I will not smoke in the car whe there are kids in, but if anyone wants to share my car with me, then the choice is, take the ride with me smoking or not at all. And then for someone to want to ban smoking, yet legalise all drugs, even those which according to the report she put up shows tobacco to be less harmful than many of the drugs that she wants to legalise, just shows the hypocrisy. Especially when you learn that she was a smoker once too! And, by her own admission, not a considerate smoker at that!

And what about all of us who already are? This is where this argument came from. All of the smokers agreed with not smoking in the car when there are others around. We have been taken out of the pubs and on to the streets, which I agreed with, but when you then have an ex-smoker then complaining about someone smoking in the outside area of the pub, it takes the mickey! When the ex-smokers want us to stop smoking outside as it pollutes the air, yet we don't want to smoke indoors when the kids are there. As for smoking in the car, I will not smoke in the car whe there are kids in, but if anyone wants to share my car with me, then the choice is, take the ride with me smoking or not at all. And then for someone to want to ban smoking, yet legalise all drugs, even those which according to the report she put up shows tobacco to be less harmful than many of the drugs that she wants to legalise, just shows the hypocrisy. Especially when you learn that she was a smoker once too! And, by her own admission, not a considerate smoker at that!

A very contradictary statement. First you agree with not smoking in the car or when others are around then you said you would smoke in your car if you want to. If any of my friends thought so little of my life as to smoke in a car I was travelling in they would no longer be my friend. I have smoking friends who travel with me and I am more than happy to stop for them to smoke or wait before leaving so they can have a 'hit'. Kill yourself, but respect others who choose not to. I don't think you would be very happy if one of your friends decided to endanger your life.

I really don't think you smokers realize how unpleasant you can make other peoples lives by exposing them to ETS.