ETA and medical conditions which are under control

Guest joebron

Guest joebron

Hi,

I've been granted an ETA to visit Australia (by thevisabureau) and was careful to read everything to make sure that I do not violate any of the conditions. I have Ulcerative Colitis, which is under control and I am taking Mesalazine and Mercaptopurine for it. While in Australia, I will of course need prescriptions of these medications (no problem as far as I can tell) as you can only bring two month's supply across the border and I am staying for three months.

The Mercaptopurine requires blood tests, which I will require three or less of during my three month stay. To ensure that I would be abe to get these, I contacted eta-general (at) visabureau (dot) com and the reply stated:

"the conditions of at ETA for Australia state that you must have a clean bill of health when entering Australia. If this is declared, you may be refused entry to Australia with this particular visa. I recommend you apply for a tourist visa - 676 for 3 months. This will give you the opportunity to declare any medical issues and provide further information to the Australian government"

I don't remember it saying you have to have a clean bill of health, but something more along the lines of "you must not require treatment that could reduce the quality of care we provide to Australian citizens".

What are people's thoughts on this? Where can I find the requirements that I saw (and can't access again as my visa's been granted) while applying?

Thanks for any help

PS: I'd be particularly interested if George Lombard or someone else authoritative would reply to this

If you are from the UK, you are entilted to Reciprocal Health Care. Once you arrive in Oz you can sign up for the 3 months at a medicare centre showing your passport. This will give you a 3 months visitor card.

If you need to go to the doctors or get blood tests - you can get these done but you will have to pay the medical center first - then you go to medicare with your reciepts amd medicare card and you will get so much of the money back.

I dont know what the current cost of doc and blood tests are but a few years ago - I paid $40 to see doc and $90 for blood test. And you will need to pay for your prescriptions.

Have a look at the medicare site for reciprocal health care.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

Guest joebron

Thanks. I've looked into the price of prescriptions already and it's not a cost I'd want to pay, but many countries wouldn't subsidize at all and its just a cost I'll have to accept as part of my travel plans. Likewise for the blood tests.

So would you say that, (and this is the important part) given my condition is generally under control, I won't have any problems with an ETA visa; you have no reason to expect a chance they might refuse me entry to the country? There are no terms in the ETA (I can't find the actual terms anywhere!) that would prevent me entering or give them reason to deport me?

Thanks. I've looked into the price of prescriptions already and it's not a cost I'd want to pay, but many countries wouldn't subsidize at all and its just a cost I'll have to accept as part of my travel plans. Likewise for the blood tests.

So would you say that, (and this is the important part) given my condition is generally under control, I won't have any problems with an ETA visa; you have no reason to expect a chance they might refuse me entry to the country? There are no terms in the ETA (I can't find the actual terms anywhere!) that would prevent me entering or give them reason to deport me?

You should be fine. You are going on a hoilday. The statment the agent made - is to stop people who are going to Australia just for medical treatment, or who are sick and cant leave again.

Are you from the UK?? I cant see that a medical condition that is under control by medication will stop you entering - especially if you come from a country with the Health Care System that we have in UK.

Once you get to Australia sign up to medicare - so you can claim back any expences that you may have. I cant remember exactly but I think that a Doc appointment when I was on WHV was about $40 and was able to claim back $25. So cost me $15, and with the exchange rate then was about £6.