Flies sydney hills and coast???

frostie

Hi, we are moving to sydney in early 2012.....For some reason i am a bit hung up on the flies!!! :confused:

Do you get a huge amount more flies inland in the hills that in a costal area??

I cant stand flies so am really worried about them. Have even been put of moving to the hills area due to someone telling me we would get loads of flies .

Not sure how true this is so was hoping to get someones experience of them who has experienced them especially mid summer!! :eek:

Thanks Mandy :smile:

Guest littlesarah

I live just North of Sydney, in a coastal suburb. We only tend to get flies around when we eat outside. Otherwise, you get the odd few outdoors but nothing to get too hung up on. They are attracted by the tantalising smell of barbecuing meat, I think!!!

Guest StuckontheCC

Yup you get flies and they bite too!

At the moment the big fat ones get in the house then die so you are forever hoovering them up.

Last weekend we popped down to the beach (Terrigal) and it was awful the flies were everywhere, people were walking around with 5-6 flys on their back!

How acute is your fly phobia Mandy?

Fleabo my phobia is not too bad .... Just really worried that they would be everywhere. Someone has told us they are worse the further west you go so was hoping they would stay away from the coast (and me )

Maryrose thanks for your post its reassuring

Stuckonthecc................That is just horrid!! Made me shudder reading your post thanks for your honest opinion though! Research into the best repellent will be my next move. I will make sure they dont want to come near me lol

Guest StuckontheCC

To be honest the flies are probably the least of your worries, but the cockroaches are a nightmare and come into the house more when its been heavily raining outside, which happens frequently here in Sydney.

Up on the coast we do have a mozzie problem too and the kids get bitten despite me spraying them, the buggers are persistent. I have coils out, spray the kids they still bite.

I do wish someone had told me about the cockroaches as they can get you down.

Fleabo my phobia is not too bad .... Just really worried that they would be everywhere. Someone has told us they are worse the further west you go so was hoping they would stay away from the coast (and me )

Maryrose thanks for your post its reassuring

Stuckonthecc................That is just horrid!! Made me shudder reading your post thanks for your honest opinion though! Research into the best repellent will be my next move. I will make sure they dont want to come near me lol

In that case I don't think you need worry if you follow basic hygiene around the kitchen. The worst flies I ever encountered were on the top of Mount Koscuizko where they covered everyone's back. In Sydney, they are rarely a problem, compared to say the seagulls at the beach, or the mossies if you forget to put repellent on during their active periods. You just adapt to it.