nicolaj

Finally landed in Sydney

After a rollercoaster few weeks, the stress of packing up our house and all the other stuff, we have now landed in Sydney.

Husband started his new job on Monday and I am just taking a week out to recover from it all. Just enjoying being a tourist for a little while!

We shall start the fun of looking for a rental shortly, really looking forward to that one!!!:wacko:

I must admit, I did feel a little adrift when we first got here and little lost and very scared! I assume that this is a normal reaction for most people?

Overall, the city seems nice and generally the people friendly so hoping it is the start of a positive experience.

:biggrin:

We moved to wollongong 5 weeks ago! Its a majorly scary experience especially when the OH goes to work and our left on your own! but to be honest i have found it a lot easier than i thought i would. people tend to be so friendly! i have a 3 YO so that has actually made meeting people a lot easier. My advice for you tho is to try and sort rental accommodation out ASAP. the market is so saturated and in our experience you are generally up against a handful of families all trying to get the same house! we were in a holiday let for 4 weeks and luckily found a place to rent in the last week which we are now in (without furniture - still at customs!!!). We had no previous rental history though as we own a house in the uk so that proved a hurdle, plus we didn't have a lot of the documentation they required (there is a lot!!). i don't mean to scare you and it ma be totally different where you are going to live, but its better to have some inside knowledge! also keep pestering the real estate agents - they are useless! as the market is so saturated they don't have to do any chasing around to rent out a property!

good luck :clown-wink:

Hi we are thinking Northern Beaches somewhere but just starting to look.

It seems to be popular with Poms! I lived at Narrabeen at one time and liked it though I am happier living in the City.

In the Herald last weekend - Domain - they featured Newport - I like Avalon but the furher up the pensinsular you go the further you have to travel if you are working in the city.

I must admit, I did feel a little adrift when we first got here and little lost and very scared! I assume that this is a normal reaction for most people?

I assure you your experience is entirely normal. Despite the fact that they speak English here, it is still a foreign language. You will be missing all the background knowledge as to how to do things, where to find things etc that you had in the UK, so doing some things will feel like an adventure, other things may feel like hitting a roadblock.

And get used to using Satnav to drive everywhere, that way you will know the day you turn it off you have really become a local :-)

Grew up in the northern suburbs of Wollongong. It's a great place to live - the beach in front of you and the mountains behind you. What more could you ask for.