Hello, mining and general chat

Guest Ozi

Hi all I'm new to this forum our 176 was granted in July and hubby has been working on the mines in WA since August he absolutely loves his job but finds the weather difficult to work in..... Some days it's 46 degrees he currently works 4/1 and is on $150,000 my question is do you think this is enough to live on in terms of houses, food, bills flights back to Uk once a year ect? we are 24/28 and no children yet. We both feel so lucky he has landed a fab job but I am petrified of being on my own for 4 weeks at a time, I'm hoping to find a job when I arrive I'm currently in Uk finishing a nursing degree and waiting for house to sell :0( I know it's a compromise that will pay off and my hubby wouldn't do it if I wasn't happy, we spoke about the ups and downs before he took the job but I can't help but feel so up and down about it all the wobblers are getting the better if me at the moment is this normal xxx

The money is more than adequate, pretty good in fact, but the downside is that roster. Honestly, that sort of roster will be very difficult to live with, we call them "a single man's roster" at work because they break families up. If you're very strong as a couple you'll get through it for a few years, but if you have kids it's not fair on them or your OH and you might need to reconsider. Can I ask what job he does? In the Bowen Basin you don't get much less for doing rosters like 3/1/3/5 (days, not weeks) or 7/7 which suit families and couples much more.

The money is more than adequate, pretty good in fact, but the downside is that roster. Honestly, that sort of roster will be very difficult to live with, we call them "a single man's roster" at work because they break families up. If you're very strong as a couple you'll get through it for a few years, but if you have kids it's not fair on them or your OH and you might need to reconsider. Can I ask what job he does? In the Bowen Basin you don't get much less for doing rosters like 3/1/3/5 (days, not weeks) or 7/7 which suit families and couples much more.

Hi I know I am very worried that we will be doing this and in the end it could cause problems! At the moment I'm happy with it as it was a once in a life time opportunity he got in through a friend and has landed lucky by next Xmas the Rosta will change from 4/1-3/1. I'm hoping to get work up there too on the same Rosta whilst I'm still young with no children, living near him isn't an option as rent in port hedland is extortionate! He's a labourer but the company is putting him through his electrical courses (he's an Uk electrician) but needs Oz licences. I just can't help thinking money isn't everything and if it did get too much my oh said that I come first and we'd reconsider his options :-/ confused xx