You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

pinup

Health Insurance - PMV Visa

Hope someone might be able to answer my question. I have just come to the end of my private health insurance policy in Ireland and now looking at options for travel insurance to cover my 9month prospective marriage visa but I think I will be covered by Medicare on the visa.

Under the prospective marriage details on the immi website it states:

"you may use Australia's medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare, but only if you are in Australia and have already applied for a Partner visa"

I'm not entirely sure what that means...but in any case presumably I can get private insurance in Oz once I get there or do I need to be an Australia citizen or permanent resident for that any help would be great, cheers!

Timeline:

Visa Sent 15th July, Meds Done 18th July, Confirmation/CO Assigned and extra docs requested 19th July...waiting!

Guest Balou

Hi Pinup!

I was on a PMV until recently and this is what I was told: when you do not have Medicare, you cannot take out private health cover.

And unfortunately on the PMV you are not entitled to Medicare, unless you have applied for your Spouse Visa. I believe you will receive a letter from Immigration that you can take to your local Medicare Office and apply for Medicare. This is how they explained it to me at least.

I got my Spouse visa almost immediately after applying for it so I never had the chance to test this, but I can confirm from personal experience that once you have your spouse visa you will be entitled to medicare and private health cover.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait and hope nothing goes awfully wrong healthwise in the meantime. :confused:

Hope that helped!

Thanks for that Balou!

I feared that might be the case :( My current provider are looking for 900euro + for annually travel/health insurance which seems fairly excessive!

I'll keep looking!

Timeline:

Visa Sent 15th July, Meds Done 18th July, Confirmation/CO Assigned and extra docs requested 19th July...waiting!

You can get private health cover without being Medicare eligible, but it will cost you 30% more (because the government subsidises the cost of private health if you are eligible).

I've always been on a partner visa, so I didn't realise that PMV wasn't Medicare eligible, but from what you've quoted that's what it sounds like - that you can't get Medicare until you have lodged your partner visa application.

Hope this helps.

applied for 309/100 19/1/10, 309 VISA GRANTED 28/4 - arrived Sydney 4/2/11, second stage visa app lodged Jan 2012, PR visa (100) GRANTED 7/6/12, now waiting for babywellie to come join us!:biggrin: