cost of living

Guest icleworth

Guest icleworth

Hi there, we are currently looking to move to oz on the 457 visa through my wife's job, would it be possible to live initially on one income of around $100,000 in rented accommodation with 2 small children?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

100k is a good wage, you can easily get by on that, 100k AUD is the equivalent of about £43,000 based on the average skilled wage in Australia which equates to about $2.2 to £1, ignore the current exchange rate. Best of luck.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
So Jim do you think we'd be okay with a starting off wage of 70-75k for dave (but they said it'll prob be more esp if he was to work weekends) and id be working but im not sure how much id earn on minimum wage. No kids. Do you think we could do okay on that?

I think 75k is decent for the two of you, its about £33,000 and you would be ok on that here in the uk, the costs of things overall are very similar as long as you use the 2.2 rate.

I think 75k is decent for the two of you, its about £33,000 and you would be ok on that here in the uk, the costs of things overall are very similar as long as you use the 2.2 rate.

but do people not say things cost a lot more esp in perth? dave makes less than that here and we do okay, not great but still okay. we dont starve! would be better if i was working too. Same in perth, im hoping i can bring it upto at least 90k. When we went to the open day for western power they said that 75k is just the starting figure, it all depends on your experience and if you want to do overtime. So we'll see!

Dont expect a massive house with a pool but would like to have a bit more extra money!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
but do people not say things cost a lot more esp in perth? dave makes less than that here and we do okay, not great but still okay. we dont starve! would be better if i was working too. Same in perth, im hoping i can bring it upto at least 90k. When we went to the open day for western power they said that 75k is just the starting figure, it all depends on your experience and if you want to do overtime. So we'll see!

Dont expect a massive house with a pool but would like to have a bit more extra money!

I have been to perth and Brisbane and i worked out the cost of living to be very similar overall, some things are dearer, some things are cheaper, its swings and roundabouts, but basing the cost of living on the $2.2 to £1, you will find the cost of living is almost the same and don't forget the brilliant sunny weather and sea and beaches are .............. FREE. :wink:

Guest Beth101

Hi Icleworth,

Yes, you can live in Perth on $100,000.

Your biggest expense will probably be rent, which can be really expensive close to the city. If you live a bit further away from the centre you'll be able to rent a decent house for around $500 a week.

We are a family of 4 and spend around $3000 a month on bills (rent, groceries, petrol, elec, gas, water, health insurance etc).

Hope that helps and good luck with your move !

Guest icleworth

Thank you very much this is very helpful, my wife will be working as a paramedic and will have to work at various stations around the metropolitan area, are there any areas you would recommend?