emmaroo

Has state of economy stopped your return?

Has anyone been planning a return to UK but postponed or even completley cancelled a move back to the UK due to the precarious state of the economy?

If you have postponed- when will you go back? Or will you go back? :eek:

Emma

Lang may yer lum reek!

Wishing and wanting to go back but we keep having children. Twisting my wifes arm more and more to wanting to go back in the next couple of years.

State of the economy is always at the back of my mind but at the end of the day, workforce in Brisbane isn't 100% guaranteed either. Found it harder to find work in Brisbane than I every did in the UK.

If one of us can regain employment in the UK we will return. But not without at least one job secured first.

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

How do you feel about moving back in this uncertain economic climate?

How do you feel about moving back in this uncertain economic climate?

Nervous!

Lang may yer lum reek!

No it didn't stop me and I came back as a single parent. My situation may be very different than most. For me, my mental health came above finances.

"If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine"

Nervous!

I can understand that... it is not an easy decision right now, I agree.

Personally, I'm sitting tight at the moment and I would be reluctant to move back without one of us securing a job at least and a sufficient amount of savings behind us, and I'm not talking about a few thousands, but enough to see you through for about six months, should you not find any work.

I am going first to try and secure a job then if unsuccessful will have to return :arghh:. But I will remain positive and i will get a job hopefully the great experience I have had here will go in my favour.

have bought two buy to let houses over there whilst living here and hope to continue buying houses and eventually doing property rentals for a living.

If we could continue doing it from here we would for now but even with the two it seems to gets difficult. Its our dream and our goals goal!!

Guest guest17301

I think you should follow your heart and worry about the finances later.....amazingly real happiness has little to do with fiscal fortunes...

I think you should follow your heart and worry about the finances later.....amazingly real happiness has little to do with fiscal fortunes...

It does if you are unemployed and can't afford to live properly. The saying money doesn't buy you happiness is right, it doesn't. What it does give you is security and peace of mind (to a point). Having to stress each month about making ends meet will get even the most optimistic person down eventually.

If you only break even each month, if you can just hold your head above water, then getting hit with a large bill to repair the car or pay for repairs to something, it can knock a person for six and take them many months to balance the books again.

Sure you can live on a tight budget, but you need to have some savings to back up a move from one country to another and/or a decent job offer that isn't going to fall through just before you depart. For example last year, I got offered a job here in the UK, accepted it and they were happy I start at the beginning of May. Even did a couple of training days that I didn't get paid for and of course incurred expenses with fuel etc. All was well. So I went off to Aus for a trip back with hubby, long planned. Got back 3 weeks later, found a letter waiting for me, sent 2 days before, telling me the job I was due to begin in 4 days no longer existed due to some business deal not proceeding. Nothing I could do. I'd forked out £120 fee for my son to start nursery which I lost and my travel costs for the training days, plus childcare on those days I'd paid for. To say I was pissed off was an understatement. We'd saved hard for the trip to Aus, hadn't had a holiday in over 3 years till that point. And hubby had done loads of overtime. So it wasn't like we were flush with cash before we went, it was all saved and scrimped for. And then got let down a few days before the job began. A job I'd been relying on, looking forward to when we got back. Didn't happen. Luckily it just made things financially hard still for a while, we didn't lose our home or anything like that. But we had to cut back more and hubby had to increase overtime. And it took me another 8 months till I found another job.

So yeah, follow your heart, but back that up with some savings or a concrete job that isn't going to disappear overnight. Even if it takes a year longer to save to return, better to do that than return with very little and not give yourself some breathing room if things are a struggle.

Guest Shelduck

i agree with snifter, when you have a family and such you have to think about finances because moves like this require a lot of forward planning and plan b's- you cannot put a roof over your family's head at risk.

we plan to return next year but we too are very concerned about the uk economy, and have the same concerns as most it seems. we will need to sell our property here to fund the move back, and hubby will need to secure a job first. we very much want our plans to come to life but we have to be realistic in that they might not if we cannot gets jobs etc :confused:

Guest guest17301
It does if you are unemployed and can't afford to live properly. The saying money doesn't buy you happiness is right, it doesn't. What it does give you is security and peace of mind (to a point). Having to stress each month about making ends meet will get even the most optimistic person down eventually.

If you only break even each month, if you can just hold your head above water, then getting hit with a large bill to repair the car or pay for repairs to something, it can knock a person for six and take them many months to balance the books again.

Sure you can live on a tight budget, but you need to have some savings to back up a move from one country to another and/or a decent job offer that isn't going to fall through just before you depart. For example last year, I got offered a job here in the UK, accepted it and they were happy I start at the beginning of May. Even did a couple of training days that I didn't get paid for and of course incurred expenses with fuel etc. All was well. So I went off to Aus for a trip back with hubby, long planned. Got back 3 weeks later, found a letter waiting for me, sent 2 days before, telling me the job I was due to begin in 4 days no longer existed due to some business deal not proceeding. Nothing I could do. I'd forked out £120 fee for my son to start nursery which I lost and my travel costs for the training days, plus childcare on those days I'd paid for. To say I was pissed off was an understatement. We'd saved hard for the trip to Aus, hadn't had a holiday in over 3 years till that point. And hubby had done loads of overtime. So it wasn't like we were flush with cash before we went, it was all saved and scrimped for. And then got let down a few days before the job began. A job I'd been relying on, looking forward to when we got back. Didn't happen. Luckily it just made things financially hard still for a while, we didn't lose our home or anything like that. But we had to cut back more and hubby had to increase overtime. And it took me another 8 months till I found another job.

So yeah, follow your heart, but back that up with some savings or a concrete job that isn't going to disappear overnight. Even if it takes a year longer to save to return, better to do that than return with very little and not give yourself some breathing room if things are a struggle.

Thats what I meant:wink: But sometimes...you just have to go with it...or youd never do anything, Im all for sensible but depends on your situation, if i was desperately unhappy..Id go where my heart told me and worry about the rest later, i truly would, not so sensible but hey, thats me!

Wishing and wanting to go back but we keep having children. Twisting my wifes arm more and more to wanting to go back in the next couple of years.

State of the economy is always at the back of my mind but at the end of the day, workforce in Brisbane isn't 100% guaranteed either. Found it harder to find work in Brisbane than I every did in the UK.

This was similar to me. Struggled big time to get work in my field and when I did work for my company was drying up and they wouldnt commit to sponsoring me.

At least back in the UK you get responses to jobs applied. The volume of jobs I applied for was massive and would say I got a response from about 2-3% of them.

Here I dont have to worry about Vias's when getting work either

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I was unfortunate to have been out of work for a whole year in the worst slump this country has had in living memory in 1981 and although i don't quite think it is as bad as then, it isn't far off. most places are firing, not hiring so to speak, but the real concern to me isn't the jobs on offer, it is the job package, gone are the days where you could get a job like mine, with good pay and conditions, a decent pension, with early retirement, NO ........... whats on offer for anyone lucky enough to get a full time job, most are part time, is not great pay, heavy workload, poor eventual pension and retire from 65 plus. Its really grim at present and i don't think its going to get any better any time soon, its predicted that the total of unemployed youths will go through the one million barrier which is a national disgrace.

Is it not just about to come out that there are one million unemployed? Im one of them, although hopefully im starting in the next week or so with Royal mail

Is it not just about to come out that there are one million unemployed? Im one of them, although hopefully im starting in the next week or so with Royal mail

One million where?

UK unemployment is around 2.7million iirc. Highest rate since 1994

We are long past 1 million unemployed that's for sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15275046

is it not one million young people? thats what i meant. not sure if its right tho, just thought i had read it online

Guest famousfive

We return to Ireland in a few months.At first the state of the country was sitting heavily on my mind,especially after reading some of the posts on here,but not anymore.My change of heart came when I realised we had little to lose.We do not own property and even though we would like to build within a couple of years it will not be the end of the world to wait longer if needs must.We have a business lease to return to,including accomodation,which is very affordable.Schooling for kids will only cost E150 per year maximum for books,no uniform or extra costs(except for E30 insurance).If the business is quiet one of us will work elsewhere until things pick up,moving to a small area with a good work reputation will help here.

It is not a huge risk for us so we are not too concerned.Family in the area have tightened their belts but still work,all self employed and we aim to be the same.

If you have work or good contacts then with the rest you really just have to decide realistically how many of the financial problems are going to effect you on your return....we were surprised at how few had any bearing on us personally.

is it not one million young people? thats what i meant. not sure if its right tho, just thought i had read it online

This site might be worth squizz Stacey

http://www.poverty.org.uk/35/index.shtml

The rest of the site makes interesting reading aswell.

And yup, its close to it now.

Yup, terrible situation in UK at present. My mind is not made up about returning at all and the economy is a very big part of that. I can't help but think going back would be foolish, for us at least. We have been lucky I think reading the stories of some others, OH works less hours here and is paid more than in UK. No matter what I may feel emotionally about the UK, there is no way I would jeopardize my family's future for a nice warm feeling inside. I am just too pragmatic I suppose.

Incidentally, my brother is one of those unemployed in UK, no home, debts, living with parents at 33 years old and it's nice to hear some get responses when applying for jobs in the UK, my bro certainly doesn't, it's all been extremely disheartening for him.

-CrimsonPetal

i had a great job in uk, gas fitter, plenty of work, had the licences, and would be mortgagae free and could have owned 2nd house by now if I wasnt adventurous, the uk did me well, got me my trade quals and in turn my visa here in Oz, I know what to expect if i ever went back and my pals back there earning good money still esp as winter on way. i miss the extra dosh in my pocket sometimes, used to just buy most anything i wanted. luxury here in perth is adding the film channel to the foxtel. beach and hillarys etc is great and close ( i lived closer to beach in pompey) but sometimes i like a bit of variation. good to see bananas coming down in price too :)

Guest Mattinoz

I have been back in the U.K for nine months and in that time had far more job offers and opportunity than I could of ever dreamt of in Oz.