Doctors in the ACT, how does it work?

claireg

Hi

Looking at registering with a doctor now that we are settlig in. Can anyone advise me how it works here.

Do I just call round my nearest doctors and register or, do I wait until an actual doctor is needed, then find one?

Any advice would be appreciated on how the system works here.

Ta

Claire

Hi there,

there are lots of threads on this subject and on how medicare works. You could use the search function.

WRT doctors, I'd look for a clinic that is taking new patients first (as not all do), and decide whether you want a private or bulk billing clinic. The latter tend to be busier and with less chance of seeing the same doc, often you just rock up and wait for hours rather than booking an appt. Fine for coughs and colds but not necessarily for chronic medical conditions, which is where a private clinic is far better.

Having found a decent clinic to your liking, I'd ask if they want you to make an initial appointment or can you just put your name down on their 'books', and wait til you actually need an appt.

I'd find one and register before you need one Claire. You need to find one that is taking on new patients first of all, which can be a bit of a pain. Secondly, you need to decide if bulk billing is important to you or not. Bulk Billing doctors are practically impossible to find in Canberra. Gininderra Medical Clinic bulk bills, but it's like a drop in centre, you don't actually book an appointment, you turn up and sit and wait. You also don't get continuity of care that way like you would with a GP. My GP bulk bills children under 5 and people on concessions/health cards. This is probably the type of thing you want what with two little ones.

Are you going to the Melba playgroup tomorrow? I will be there if you want to chat about it some more.

:wink:

I just wanted to add that, in Australia, no one has to "register" formally with a doctor; you are quite free to go to any GP at any time.

However, as mentioned, many practices are so busy that they won't accept new patients. And with small children it would be wise to know in advance which practice will accept you... as said children have a talent for needing urgent attention at the most inconvenient times :rolleyes:

However, you are quite free to use a different GP at any time if you want to.

It's quite difficult to get into a good practice in Canberra TBH. Ask around your neighbourhood to see where people generally recommend then call the surgery to see if they are taking new patients.

http://the-riotact.com/seeking-a-gp-in-canberra/27434 is a useful thread.

Personally I can vouch for the Wakefield Gardens surgery but not sure that they are taking on new patients

Bulk billing doctors in ACT are scarcer than hens teeth

Thanks everyone. Yes i would feel happier knowing which doctors I can use as we have two young children. Sorry for sounding daft but what is bulk billing? Do you get billed once a year or something similar.

Ta

Claire

Bulk billing is when the Doctors bill Medicare 100% direct, so you don't have to pay any money up front. If you get a Doctor who isn't bulk billing then you pay upfront and claim a percentage back from Medicare. My GP are charging $70 for an adult appointment atm, it's $55 for children over 5 and they bulk bill for children under 5. When you look into Doctors it's important to ask them about their billing systems because not all practices are the same.

You should also make sure you're registered for the Medicare Safety Net and have applied for your Family Assistance but I'll explain what that means and entails when I see you :biggrin:

Thanks everyone. Yes i would feel happier knowing which doctors I can use as we have two young children. Sorry for sounding daft but what is bulk billing? Do you get billed once a year or something similar.

Ta

Claire

Dont get hung up on the bulk billing thing just find a doctor you like and who is taking new patients. Expect to pay around $30 out of your pocket per GP visit and if you dont have to pay that much then it's a win.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone else has said, it's a struggle to find good doctors (or bad doctors) who are taking new patients. I haven't got round to sorting it yet, but I needed to go to the doc's yesterday. Garema Place (in the City) is taking on new patients and I went there yesterday. Obviously, I can't really judge after one visit, but I was impressed yesterday. The location's not ideal though, unless you work close by (which I do). I have also used the drop in centre at Phillip. Everyone at work has told me that can be a nightmare (can't book appointments), but I must have been lucky on the day that I went as I didn't have too much of a wait. In fact, not much more of a wait than in the UK, when I actually booked specific appointments (which were never on time). :)

Guest cjps678

Hi Claire & all the other new mums/ families to Canberra.

My family & I emigrated to Canberra from Leicestershire on 5th August 2011 & we are currently renting in Giralang, Belconnen. We needed to bd near Evatt as my eldest goes to pre-school at Miles Franklin. We have three pre-school aged children: two girls (5 last week & 3) & a boy of 9 months.

If you are still needing some advice regarding GPs...I would be happy to meet up & have a chat. In the three months we've been here in Canberra we've needed to visit the GP on three occasions & A&E once!! My neighbour is a GP & has given me some useful advice & im in thd medical profession which has helped to understand the system.

Also, I would ask you....have you had your girls immunisations records transcribed yet? It's a simple process & there are quite a few differences

between the systems that may require your children to have some injections

ASAP. All three of mine needed injections according to the Aussie

system...even though we- as im sure you did- had ensured they were up-to- date in the UK.

Please get in touch if you feel I can be of help. Even if it's just because you would like to meet another young family with similar aged children. We love Canberra so far. I hope you are finding it to be everything you had hope for too.

Carrie

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Claire & all the other new mums/ families to Canberra.

My family & I emigrated to Canberra from Leicestershire on 5th August 2011 & we are currently renting in Giralang, Belconnen. We needed to bd near Evatt as my eldest goes to pre-school at Miles Franklin. We have three pre-school aged children: two girls (5 last week & 3) & a boy of 9 months.

If you are still needing some advice regarding GPs...I would be happy to meet up & have a chat. In the three months we've been here in Canberra we've needed to visit the GP on three occasions & A&E once!! My neighbour is a GP & has given me some useful advice & im in thd medical profession which has helped to understand the system.

Also, I would ask you....have you had your girls immunisations records transcribed yet? It's a simple process & there are quite a few differences

between the systems that may require your children to have some injections

ASAP. All three of mine needed injections according to the Aussie

system...even though we- as im sure you did- had ensured they were up-to- date in the UK.

Please get in touch if you feel I can be of help. Even if it's just because you would like to meet another young family with similar aged children. We love Canberra so far. I hope you are finding it to be everything you had hope for too.

Carrie

Thanks Carrie

Yes I have had them transcribed now, received back the other day. Both need Hep B which is only given in the UK under some circumstances but not standard for most. One of them needs Chicken Pox vaccine and the other Whooping Cough. They were both up to date when we left the UK 2 months ago so there are differences here for sure.

I have found that the Belconnen Medical Centre is accepting new patients and can make appointments as well as just drop-in. They bulk bill children under 16, those on a healthcare card and pensioners.

The adult apt fee is $65.

I have an appt to go and see them tomorrow morning to sign up and then I can make the appointments for the childrens vaccinations too.

Would be happy to meet up one day with the kids. Are you free Wed or Thur next week?

Ta

Claire

Hey Carrie, we're in Giralang too!! We should meet up sometime for coffee, my twins are two :). I've been here since March 2010, my husband is a Canberran.

Sent via Tapatalk

Fancy a get together somewhere in Giralang Janet? Not been to Giralang yet, any good parks or Coffee shops?

Ta

Claire

Fancy a get together somewhere in Giralang Janet? Not been to Giralang yet, any good parks or Coffee shops?

Ta

Claire

Nope, there is nothing in Giralang really. We're the suburb with the shops that have been derelict for 5 years. :biglaugh: We've got a couple of local playgrounds but that's about it apart from the primary school, preschool and Docs. But, we're pretty close to Lake G if you wanted to meet up there with the kids. Probably John Knight park is best for kids.

We're pretty busy up until Christmas though, how about we meet up on a Tuesday in January while ELTL is on a break? :wink:

West Belconnen Health Service are bulk billing, they are in Charnwood, they seem nice and were taking on new patients in Oct when we registered, cost us $60 for a family of 4.

Thanks for the info. I will give them a call in the morning before I go to Belconnen Med Centre, if they bulk bill the entire family, would prefer that. Charnwood is not far from us either.

Ta

Claire

Nope, there is nothing in Giralang really. We're the suburb with the shops that have been derelict for 5 years. :biglaugh: We've got a couple of local playgrounds but that's about it apart from the primary school, preschool and Docs. But, we're pretty close to Lake G if you wanted to meet up there with the kids. Probably John Knight park is best for kids.

We're pretty busy up until Christmas though, how about we meet up on a Tuesday in January while ELTL is on a break? :wink:

Yeah sounds good. The next ELTL is on next Tuesday last one til 14th Feb. Are you going next week?

PS how was Melbourne?

Yeah sounds good. The next ELTL is on next Tuesday last one til 14th Feb. Are you going next week?

PS how was Melbourne?

Yep should be there next week. :biggrin:

Melbs was great thanks. Bit of a fleeting visit unfortunately as we went kid free. We did manage to get hangovers though. Haha.

Hi - did I read your post correctly - are you saying they charged you just to register as new patients?

I have just called them. They are a Co-operative so you have to become a member in order to receive bulk billing but covers all the family.

The yearly membership is $66 for a family.

You have to make an appointment to see the Doctor so I am going this morning.

Ta

Claire

Ok so you don't need an appointment to register as I found out when I turned up this morning. The receptionist had no idea why I was told I need an appointment when all I wanted to do was register.

The costs are as follows if anyone else is interested.

- Membership is for the calendar year January - December, although those registering in December will be covered for the following year.

- Single (with Healthcare Card) - $16

- Single (without Healthcare Card) - $33

- Family (with Healthcare Card) - $33

- Family (without Healthcare Card) - $66

Ta

Claire