Where to live? Advice? Thx

Guest rjim

Hi everyone or should i say g'day.

Ive only just discovered this forum so apologies if this topic or something similar has already been posted before

Ive recently been offered a job in Brisbane (just waiting for the visa) and am looking to base myself somewhere near a good beach. ie gold coast area.

could anyone recommend a good location.

ps im single so locations such as facility friendly areas for kids are not require.

from online research so far i believe the commute is approx. 1hr from Brisbane to the Gold Coast.

could anyone confirm if this is during normal traffic hrs or rush hr?

im likely to both drive and use public transport so any advice would be grateful.

thanks

many thanks for the reply roger,

the office is located

Ann Street Brisbane QLD 4000

but as ive never been there before i wouldnt have a clue if its easily accessible.

im used to commuting on the M25 and M4 everyday if that provides an idea of my tolerance levels to traffic!

Brisbane is pretty cleanly divided north and south, however, your working right smack in the CBD, so being northside or southside is fairly irrelevant

In this instance I strongly advise you to look at travelling in to the city by public transport, roads and parking are BAD and made worst by a lot of construction work, we have a pretty good train network....providing you don't live in Redcliff..

Beaches are a little of an issue, if your looking for classic golden sands then you need to look gold coast/sunshine coast, everything in between is Morton bay and not that great.... however, if you are looking for water sports then Cleveland, Manly, Wynnum, Sandgate, Brighton are good options

Guest The Joker

The hour you quote from the Gold Coast to Brisbane CBD (Central Business District - where you will find Ann St, right alongside Central Station) is on a very good day. Today, for example, you would have been lucky to make it in under 2 hours due to motorway tailbacks. The train is reasonably reliable - the Gold Coast line is a favoured cash-cow for the government owned Translink operator so they have had the lion's share of new trains and line upgrades in recent history, but that has made travelling by train popular and the trains are often crowded with standing room only for the whole journey.

I have moved up to the Sunshine Coast now and put up with a near 2 hour commute each way but, in my view, the beaches are better and the place is far less crowded and not quite so touristy as the Gold Coast (and far less crime). But I am a middle-aged married man with almost grown -up kids (do they ever grow up?) so my needs are going to be different to yours.

Phoenix / The Joker,

Many thanks for your advice.

Im being put up in a hotel for the first month approx. 100m from the head office in the CBD and i guess i will use that time to find somewhere permanent.

Im after a better quality of life outside working hrs hence im looking for a nice coastal location.

Sunshine Coast looks great.

Less crowded and enough golf courses nearby to keep me happy!!!