List of commute times to civic from suburbs?

Angela820

Hello

We have just moved to Canberra last week and are facing the daunting task of finding a rental property.

we have seen a few few already - some fine, some awful - ALL expensive (in my view) we did expect this though...

We are going round in circles at the moment in choosing or narrowing areas and wondering if people could respond if they commute into Civic by car or bus in the morning and where from and how long this takes. we are in temporary accomodation at the moment and of course viewing properties during the day when there is less traffic and would like to know the realistic commute times from different suburbs.

Thanks so much in advance!

Angela

Giralang to Civic would probably be about 20 minutes by car.

I don't do buses but according to Action/Google Transit websites it would take about half an hour. Probably worth having a play with this from a few different suburbs if you want to get an idea of bus times. Some suburbs are better serviced than others for buses though and pretty much anywhere in Belconnen district you'd have to go through Belconnen first I think. Anyway here's the link:

https://www.action.act.gov.au/googletransit/default.html

Hunting for rentals is an absolute pain in the butt. I feel your pain! Good luck :)

Guest destinationoz

Welcome to Canberra!

We are in Macquarie in Belconnen - you can get the bus into civic in 20 minutes or drive in 10 minutes max - this will be the same for Aranda and Cook I guess. You could also cycle in from these suburbs in half an hour (depending on fitness levels) as its downhill and get the bus back as buses have bike racks at the front!

I walk to Aranda which takes 10 minutes and get the bus from there which takes 7-10 mins!

If you are in Lynham or pretty much most places in inner north you can cycle in 15 minutes or so or get the bus in 5-10 mins. Ofcourse houses in the inner north are smaller or more expensive !

Hope that helps a little

I live in Queanbeyan and find a trip to civic takes about 15 mins but during rush hour it can take 25 mins (I asked the wife as she works in old parliament house). This all depends on where in Queanbeyan you live though. My times are from Queanbeyan East.

As for public transport ACTION don't cross the border so you have to take the private service that I think can take 45 mins but it calls at most places on its way to civic. If you live over the border then a car is the way forward!

Welcome to Canberra!

We are in Macquarie in Belconnen - you can get the bus into civic in 20 minutes or drive in 10 minutes max - this will be the same for Aranda and Cook I guess. You could also cycle in from these suburbs in half an hour (depending on fitness levels) as its downhill and get the bus back as buses have bike racks at the front!

I walk to Aranda which takes 10 minutes and get the bus from there which takes 7-10 mins!

If you are in Lynham or pretty much most places in inner north you can cycle in 15 minutes or so or get the bus in 5-10 mins. Ofcourse houses in the inner north are smaller or more expensive !

Hope that helps a little

Hi there...sorry to jump. in on the post!! we are hopefully moving over to canberra. We are brining our dogs with us and i heard forde is a fab place for walks etc...the hubby will be working in belconnen and i wondered what the commute is like. Thanks

We are in Ngunnawal and it takes me 20 mins to drive to Civic at 5pm - I don't work morning so can't help there but am guessing it would only add 5 mins as my traffic is fairly heavy in parts (heavy for Canberra isn't the same as heavy in London though!!)

And welcome to Canberra

And Sunshineplease I guess Forde to Belconnen would be 15 mins normal but 20-25 peak time. I took my daughters to dentist on a MOnday morning for a 8.40 appointment and left home at 8.10 to make it on time with a couple of mins to spare

Hi there...sorry to jump. in on the post!! we are hopefully moving over to canberra. We are brining our dogs with us and i heard forde is a fab place for walks etc...the hubby will be working in belconnen and i wondered what the commute is like. Thanks

If your working in Belconnen then Bruce, Macquarie, Weetangera or Florey are an easy commute by bus, walk or cycle which will save you needing 2 cars & still plenty of space for dog walking etc.

• 3 weeks later...

The rule of thumb is that most places are only 20 minutes away and unless you are going north to south then its true, we can do Ngunnawal to Civic in 20, to Acton (The ANU) in 23 and to be fair from Ngunnawal to Tuggeranong in only 30 to 35, so nothing is to far assuming you have a car of course.