Commonwealth Games 2018 to be hosted by the Gold Coast

Rudi

YEAHY!! Well the Gold Coast will be hosting the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Great news for the Queensland Economy with an estimated 30000 new full time jobs to be created as a result of this win.

Love

Rudi

x

Innit great news??:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

YEAHY!! Well the Gold Coast will be hosting the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Great news for the Queensland Economy with an estimated 30000 new full time jobs to be created as a result of this win.

Love

Rudi

x

54 countries in the Commonwealth, and only two were interested! Strange!

30,000 new full time jobs, I don't believe it. It is a political stunt by Bligh

Work it out $1.1 billion cost, 30,000 jobs @ say $1000 each per week, taking into account super, holiday pay etc. That mean the money would be spent in 9 months, and that is not counting material cost. Nope election is coming up and you can't believe or trust Bligh.

I am glad it is over the other side of town to me. I would find it also difficult to see any gain to the taxpayer. Sorry just read a statement from Juliar Gillard, the cost is now $1.92 billion plus any over runs. lol As the ex Lord Mayor Jim Sooley said," The Commonwealth Games are archaic today"

At least Rudi you will be busy with B7 B

Love

Rudi

x

I think it is great news, and it will be good to inject some money into the Gold Coast and get some world class sporting facilities outside of the capital cities.

Work it out $1.1 billion cost, 30,000 jobs @ say $1000 each per week, taking into account super, holiday pay etc. That mean the money would be spent in 9 months, and that is not counting material cost. Nope election is coming up and you can't believe or trust Bligh.

I am glad it is over the other side of town to me. I would find it also difficult to see any gain to the taxpayer. Sorry just read a statement from Juliar Gillard, the cost is now $1.92 billion plus any over runs. lol As the ex Lord Mayor Jim Sooley said," The Commonwealth Games are archaic today"

I think you will find it won't be 30000 full time jobs to build/run the games and construction but it includes all other industries involved and indirectly involved. Pubs near the construction sites will need more workers, the local mcdonalds will need more, etc etc

I heard all the same things said against the Manchester Commonwealth games... and too be honest those were my thoughts too at one time

I couldn't have been more wrong:

+the boost to the local economy and jobs was terrific

+the games went off without a hitch

+the infrastructure legacy is still providing good benefits now and for years to come

The only downside of it was that Man City didnt't do too bad out of either !!

JT

Love

Rudi

x

Perhaps the benefits are a little over rated. Most such events have a short shelf life of two weeks and then leave town with the taxpayers picking up an over inflated tab.

Also the Commonwealth Games by it's nature is rather insignificant with very limited international appeal.

• 1 month later...