Mechanic/fitter thinking of moving to oz...

Guest richiee

Guest richiee

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum. From reading through some of the posts it seems to be very in formative. I am a quallified diesel fitter/mechanic. I live in Ireland and have been in the trade since 1998. I feel I need to move on, a new challenge i suppose is what I want. I also would love to travel and hopefully make some money. I have been speaking to friends who are working in Australia at the moment and they have told me that my trade is in short supply over there. I have looked into it the last few weeks and have sent my cv to a company who are involved in the mining industry in Australia. They have some vacancies for fitters. I have also been in contact with a recruitment agency and they are lining up a few jobs for me. They are talking about earning big money, one figure mentioned by the company I sent my cv to was $145,000 per year on a 2:1 work schedule with 12 hour days. It sounds like big money! Im sure the work would be demanding to say the least. has anyone any information they can share with me? I am assuming that that money is before tax. What kind of tax rates are in Australia. I am a single man with no dependants.

I would love to get in touch with anyone who is, or who has worked as a fitter in the mines in Australia. I have so many questions.... its a very big step to take! I want to get as much information as possible before I commit to going.

Many thanks,

Richie

Hi Ritchie

My partner is a plant fitter and we are also from Ireland so just wanted to say hi.

We have just been granted our 175 permanent visa and are looking to head over to OZ early next year.

there seems to be a lot of jobs at the moment in fitting, gary has been offered a few positions (before our perm visa come through) but unlike yourself we are not willing to go into the mines so we are hoping to secure a job in one of the cities when we have sorted out our house.

Gary worked in the mines when he was in OZ on a working holiday visa, money is good but its very isolated.

anyhow good luck with your move

Guest richiee
Hi Ritchie

My partner is a plant fitter and we are also from Ireland so just wanted to say hi.

We have just been granted our 175 permanent visa and are looking to head over to OZ early next year.

there seems to be a lot of jobs at the moment in fitting, gary has been offered a few positions (before our perm visa come through) but unlike yourself we are not willing to go into the mines so we are hoping to secure a job in one of the cities when we have sorted out our house.

Gary worked in the mines when he was in OZ on a working holiday visa, money is good but its very isolated.

anyhow good luck with your move

Thanks Julie. I know the mines are isolated. I am free and single tho so I'm prepared to do it for a while anyway. I'm

In co. mayo, where are ye from?

Like ye, I hope to be going there early in the new year. It's a big decision to go. I still have work here but I want a change.

As regards to Gary working in the mines previously. How did he find it? Was the money good? Is it actually worth it?

Best of luck with your move. Hope all works out over there for ye!

Richiee

Hi there mate, I'm an HGV mechanic too, fly out on monday to Melbourne to start working for Scania. Money is very good, hours are good and all the little add-ons make the same job in oz much more appealing than here in the uk. I'm on a 457 visa to start with, and hopefully permanent after a few years.

Check out Osborne Recruitment, they are guys who set me up, they're always looking for mechanics for both the mining industry and for dealership work.

All the best mate!

Thanks Julie. I know the mines are isolated. I am free and single tho so I'm prepared to do it for a while anyway. I'm

In co. mayo, where are ye from?

Like ye, I hope to be going there early in the new year. It's a big decision to go. I still have work here but I want a change.

As regards to Gary working in the mines previously. How did he find it? Was the money good? Is it actually worth it?

Best of luck with your move. Hope all works out over there for ye!

Richiee

Hi again

I am actually from Liverpool but gary is from Dublin which is where we live now.

Gary was only in the mines a short while as he was on a working holiday visa at the time he said it was good while it lasted (money was good) but wouldent like to live there full time.

I see you are looking at fifo, that would probebly be the best option in my opinion as your getting the best of both worlds also 2:1 work roster is very good.

do you have any preferance as to where to would like to go?

julie

Guest richiee
Hi again

I am actually from Liverpool but gary is from Dublin which is where we live now.

Gary was only in the mines a short while as he was on a working holiday visa at the time he said it was good while it lasted (money was good) but wouldent like to live there full time.

I see you are looking at fifo, that would probebly be the best option in my opinion as your getting the best of both worlds also 2:1 work roster is very good.

do you have any preferance as to where to would like to go?

julie

Thanks for that info Julie. I have no preference really as to where in oz I go. I'm a country guy, I don't think is be into city life really but I guess I'd be open minded. One thing I wouldn't be too keen on is to hot a climate. I like sun but wouldnt be a man for excessive heat. On the rare occasion we get 30 degrees here it's hot enough for me! But then again I'm sure I would get used to the warmer climate.

Thanks again and all the best down under!