Wanted Down Under series!

Guest ino4ek

Guest guest57545
Programme gave me exactly what I wanted. A free trip to Perth to validate my visa and the chance of a look around. When I saw yesterday that the family were going to be so much better off I was quite surprised based upon our episode where we pretty much break even. But that's if we had bought the house we liked which was quite a big mortgage and my wife not working as she does not in the UK.

The filming is all done independently of the host's comments and no, she is never around for filming while in Oz. Try and remember that they have a license to edit the show whichever way they want to and that not all conversations can be fitted into a 45 minute show. Those conversations may be the ones that include items such a childcare. Our episode is on the 25th, make of it what you will.

I can appreciate that it would be a fantastic opportunity for those of you that took part in the show and best wishes for your future moves.

Just maybe it could just be a bit more balanced for those watching and thinking of moving. IMO the programmes i've watched don't truly reflect what oz is like just the good bits (which there are many) but there are some downsides too!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ausblu

The Prices were lower as they are New Build Houses the land in these Areas is cheaper, but what they didnt tell you is what add ons like painting and garden tiles carpet etc, You can watch it itv and BBCi player over here if you have a download program expat shield and broadband 2+

If you have not got the money (£100,000 plus) & a job then it will be a dream holiday then back to reality (uk) with no job & a lot less money.

Unless you already live in the real world, and not over privileged Toff land, in which case, you cut your cloth accordingly and she'll be right mate, no matter how little you have to spend. (and I speak from experience).

Guest thehoe5
aw nice one , thought they came across as a smashing family

Thanks poms u guys are much nicer than twitter or is it twitter?? The people on there were disgusting wish I hadnt read it! They didn't get my sense of humour (walk in robes) I joke when upset. Anyway u cheered me up so thank you :wubclub: xx

Moving to a nice home is a major factor in most peoples moves, if you break it down into a % I would imagine Job would 30%, School (if you have kids) 30% and Home (notice I said home and not house) would also be 30%. The last thing you want is to start off moving half way around te world and end up with less than you have already, as my OH keeps telling me. I have noticed 4+2 with good room sizes, cinema room and large covered outside area for $380,000 (£250,000) this is only £20K more than our house is worth ( I hope) and the house size is about the same and this includes decoration, tiles and carpet therefore we are aiming for something the same as we have, not more or less but the same. Then the move might feel worthwhile in the short term.

Thanks poms u guys are much nicer than twitter or is it twitter?? The people on there were disgusting wish I hadnt read it! They didn't get my sense of humour (walk in robes) I joke when upset. Anyway u cheered me up so thank you :wubclub: xx

From the time we started the WDU process I have maintained that they can portray me how they want as I am getting what I wanted in return. My wife is a little worried about how they will edit the show but 99.9% of the people watching are, and always will be, strangers to me so I am not particularly bothered what their opinion is. To the point that I won't even go looking for comments other than on here as most people will have a basic understanding of how the show works from previous threads. To a certain degree, even the people I do know at home can say what they want, come the 13th March we are on the way to the airport so their opinion doesn't really mean a lot going forward. Our family and close friends know the people we are and if anyone thinks any differently then good luck to them. I won't be losing any sleep I can assure you.

Ironically, the day our episode is being shown we are flying to Lanzarote for a short break with some of our close family and friends as a send off just before it airs so won't get a chance to see it until we get back and will have seen any reaction before we see the show. Probably better that way to be honest.

My sister did an episode of Deal or No Deal about a year ago and because she was nervous and made a throwaway comment about being able to afford matching underwear she was slated on FB etc. When she called me upset my response was that some people have the brass ones to get out there and do it while others have such a pathetic life they spend it sitting at home making comments about people they do not know, but had the courage to try, on social networking sites.

I know which I would rather be. I just hope they don't focus too much on the cross dressing.

Guest mattanlisa

Emigrating is such a massive deal to anybody,so if people are that shallow to believe that walk in robes are what you are all about then they're really not worth losing sleep over. Those of us who have the guts to make such a big decision for a better life for our families will,i'm sure get support from PIO and not be criticised for the odd offhand joke. Lets face it, no one in there right mind would put themselves through the whole process just for petty luxuries! Anyway,rant over! Will be looking for your future posts so keep us updated as your cicumstances are similar to ours,hubby a plumber,we're looking at perth tho as property seems cheaper although would go anywhere TBH! Two kids,age 11 and 22! My daughter cried when she heard your daughter's story but was so glad when she said she wanted to go with you. Good luck with whole process and thankyou xxx

I thought you were fab. Although I am slightly jealous - I thought you were one of the children when I first saw you! We are the same age but reckon I could pass as old enough to be your mother!

First rule of media - don't look for, or look at, anything about you in it. I couldn't find anything at all about you on twitter, other than one post about your hubby that wasn't wonderfully flattering, but in the grand scheme of things, one little comment in amongst thousands shouldn't really chafe - must have been going some to find it :biglaugh:

It's telly - you got out of it what you wanted, so why care what other people think? Did WDU not have advisors that made it clear what going on a tv programme means? If not, they should include that in the budget - every show we've been involved in over the years has always had a sort of nanny type person that makes it quite clear you are being taken advantage of, so you need to take as much advantage as they do - but then a free trip to Oz isn't all bad, so methinks you're laughing last at any rate :biggrin:

Glad your daughter decided to give it a go, not really anything to do with anything, but wanted to say isn't she a pretty girl, and lovely manners etc (I'm female, not a letchy old guy btw lol).

Do you know when you plan to go over, and did you decide to go to Brissie area, or try elsewhere/another state?

yes, just watched today's episode and it was really interesting. Though the salaries sounded good! Again, would be interesting to hear what they decided to do. Perhaps the daughter's boyfriend would decide to go as well. I know i certainly would!