Wanted Down Under series!

Guest ino4ek

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I am in OZ I watch WDU without the rose tinted glasses. They show the most amazing houses at totally unrealistic prices. The first family reckoned they would be £2000 a month better off -YES because they both worked full time and she didnt work in UK. There was no mention of child care for little ones which is very expensive. Im now convinced the whole series is a propaganda machine to recruit clueless Brits to Oz. And yes I fell for it!

But would you move back?

We've been looking at the developments mentioned and those prices seem to match even now with the land/build package deals available.

For example http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-banksia+grove-109020466?listingType=buy a 3+2 @ $293,400

I think we may build ourselves though and save another 25-40% on the developer prices or get a larger lot and pool. Self built in the UK in 2007 so not too daunting !

I've been contenplating building my own as well but I haven't managed to find out details of suppliers etc etc, has anyone done this before?

Yup, should have said we are heading for Perth so I know I would have to register with WA as an owner builder (not as a pro builder). The gas and electric requirements are nothing new but plumbing is (not sure why, it's not like it could kill anyone !).

Back to the developer land and build packages it's surprising what you can get included. I've found a brand new 4+2 for $378,000 which only needs the back yard doing !

Anyway back to the program, like the subtle change to the format but if they spent a few less seconds twirling the flags they could include more info. Always skip past the message from home bit as we know it will be hard to leave family and friends and that is just part and parcel of it all, we get it !

Looking forward to the next one ...................:wink:

I've found loads around the $420,000 mark (4 +2 with study/games room) that include floor coverings, decoration, full AC and even blinds just not sure about the areas.

I still struggle with your accent mate.....................if you mean what is it in pounds, then $378,000 is about £250k and $420k is about £277k.

I guess it all depends on your deposit, available mortgage funds releative to your income as to what you can afford !