Travelling to OZ before visa is granted

Guest cararich

Guest cararich

Hi

I've been trying to find an answer to this question but am getting more and more confused.

I am Australian and my partner has applied for his 309/100 visa. They are currently accessing him under the 100 which should have the decision on at the end of December.

The problem is that we want to go back earlier well we are actually booked to go at the end of the month. We know he needs a visa so will be getting him an ETA to travel on but we wanted to know does he HAVE to have an onward ticket or is it enough to show funds to buy one?

Also we know that as we applied offshore that he needs to be offshore when it is approved, his co has confirmed that for us, has anyone actually done this that knows or can tell me what they did please?

Thanks for your help x

Hey cararich,

Can't help u with this but will bump it up incase someone else can, this site has changed so much... there is not the same info on it as there use to be... good luck :)

Guest cararich

Thank you to both of you. There is so much conflicting information on here sometimes and sometimes it's just peoples opinions rather than actual fact and it makes you even more confused! x

Thank you to both of you. There is so much conflicting information on here sometimes and sometimes it's just peoples opinions rather than actual fact and it makes you even more confused! x

Yes, I agree, u wud be better to ask an agent, normally the first half hr or 15 mins of their time is free , that way u will know for sure or else go on the gov website for immigration an its def right :biggrin:

Hi

Also we know that as we applied offshore that he needs to be offshore when it is approved, his co has confirmed that for us, has anyone actually done this that knows or can tell me what they did please?

Thanks for your help x

Hi

I was told by the Embassy that if I wanted to travel to OZ before my VISA was granted that I had to tell my CO and have an onward ticket, otherwise the immigration in the airport can refuse entry. To get the best answer I would ask your CO, they would have to know anyway.

Good luck

You do have to tell your CO, but carrying evidence that you've applied for an offshore visa, a quote for a ticket to NZ and sufficient funds to buy that ticket once your CO tells you the visa is ready to grant "should" be fine to get into the country, since they know you're not going to overstay as you have to leave the country to get your visa.

Based on what I've read so far on the forum, I'd agree with RockDr.

I'd just like to add that after the notification from CO that the visa is ready to be granted, people usually go to New Zealand, Malaysia or Indonesia (cheap plane tickets).

Guest marmitegirl

Hi, thanks for this post. I am in exactly the same position! Have been told the same thing by immigration, I can travel in as a tourist but must leave when the visa app outcome is ready to be decided upon. I have no idea how much notice you are given to leave the country again and when you can return on the new visa (if it's granted) so PLEASE let me know how you go!!

We did this last year. I applied for my 309 in NZ and my visa wasn't granted by the time we were ready to move. I emailed my CO and advised we were going on an extended holiday to visit family and she just emailed me when she was ready to grant the visa. I then had to fly to Auckland to get the visa issued. I flew in, stayed the night, got the visa granted first thing in the morning and then got back on the plane and came straight back.

They do tell you to bear in mind that you travel at your own risk and there is no guarantee you will be granted a visa. But if you have a straightforward partner visa application it's likely not to be a problem.