diac's email regarding post and pre qualification experience

Sol2Oz

I emailed DIAC asking if for non-licensed occupations, if they'll consider pre qualification experience for points. Here is their response:

PRE-GRADUATION WORK EXPERIENCE

If you have undertaken part-time skilled employment work while completing a course of study, you may count this towards any General Skilled Migration skilled employment requirements as long as you were employed on a paid basis for at least 20 hours per week at the skilled level. Generally, pre-graduation skilled employment experience would be at the 'semi-skilled' rather than the 'skilled' level and therefore not be acceptable.

My situation is that it was the other way around: I have undertaken part time schooling while working full time in my current profession. So in my case, I can safely assume that I can count the experience while in school, since my job was full time and schooling was part time?

That depends on what type of work and schooling you're talking about.

The point DIAC are making is that in most cases prior to gaining the qualification (i.e. while you're studying), you're not fully qualified, so any work in that area would be considered semi-skilled.

That depends on what type of work and schooling you're talking about.

The point DIAC are making is that in most cases prior to gaining the qualification (i.e. while you're studying), you're not fully qualified, so any work in that area would be considered semi-skilled.

In my case, the schooling is for a Bachelors degree that I took in the evenings (took me 5 years to finish the degree while I did it part time) while I worked full time. ACS gave me a positive assessment, and counted my work experience as more than 8 years, BUT they wrote, "as of X date, you have satisfied the requirements of Group A" - or something like that - sorry don't have the letter in front of me. X date was when I got my bachelors degree which is a very different date from when I started working.

So all of my work experience was counted, but it's that little clause they have there - that I satisfied ACS's requirement for the Group A only after I received my college degree.

Thoughts?

Not sure how diac may take that.

• 1 year later...

Hi Sol2Oz,

Could you please share the whole answer and/or email of DIAC. As I also have 2.5 years of experience while studying in University (which is already confirmed by ACS) and I need DIAC to confirm at least one year from these 2.5 year. So would like ask them about that before applying for visa.

Thank you in advance.

PS:

Sorry for posting a message in such an old topic, but I have just registered here and don't have permissions to send private messages yet.