Very worried, 2nd WHM and travel overseas to obtain ETA

Guest xxsweet

Guest xxsweet

Has anyone got an idea of how common it is that customs might refuse you?

My second Working holiday Visa is nearly running out, I applied for the 676 onshore but got refused, and now I'm considering to take a trip to NZ for a few days. I know about the fact that you need to have an ongoing flight.

I really like to spend christmas here with my friends and I have got enough funds to support myself and fly back home (Holland) after christmas.

I'm about to make the decision to get rid of my rental apartment or take the risk of keeping it till I'm back in the country. I would really like to have a place to come home to if customs do let me cross the boarder.

Any ideas? And what would you do in my situation? Move out of the apartment or take the risk?

Thanks in advance!

My Brother-in-law is a customs officer and its nothing to do with Customs, that's immigration job.

Did they give you a reason why you got refused?

Because you just spent 2 years on a WHV which is a visa that you can work then you applied for a tourist visa onshore they probably suspect you are going to do something stupid like continue to work on a tourist visa (illegal).

If you go to NZ and return to Australia is would be brown shorts in a white room time, plus a long trip home with a 3 year ban in your back pocket.

Guest xxsweet

Is it really that serious? I thought that more people go overseas and obtain a new visa even backpackers after a WHM. Would they really give me a ban?

The reason was because I'm seen as a temporary-resident and by law they can't allow me an onshore tourist visa. I gave enough evidence that I don't need to work and I had letters of invitations to show I was going to stay with friends.

They'll only give you a ban if you overstay. Leaving the country and applying for a new visa definitely isn't ban-worthy.

If the only reason they gave you is that you can't apply onshore for a tourist visa from a WHV, then it's worth trying to apply from offshore.

Well its worth a shot to apply for a tourist visa offshore and if they refuse you then you know where you stand (most likely xmas in NZ), but 2 years on a WHV and then coming back straight away on a tourist visa can look like a 'Visa Run'.

Visa run is where someone does a trip offshore an come back on a fresh visa but with intention of picking up where they left off. It does happen.

Some people can still be granted a visa in NZ but then get refused at the immigration in Sydney airport on inspection of their passport because of suspected visa running, a refusal at the immigration line is usually deportation and the ban.