You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

wetnwindy

bringing toiletries

can I load my container with boxes of toiletries, deoderants, shampoos that we like or will we be charged duty?

Yep, wondering the same. Hopefully we will find out!

Donna x

Donna 32, Terry 31 and Katie 5!:cool:, IELTS Academic Passed 12/03/11, ANMAC approved 27/06/11, WA SS 30/06/11, 176 visa lodged 30/06/11. CO 2/8/11, PCC UK 26/8, PCC cyprus 7/9, meds finalised 31/08/11, visa granted 10/10/11, flight booked 02/03/12.

You can take toiletries but not aerosols i think, not sure about cleaning products etc....You can buy Molton Brown over there though :)

event.png

I wouldn't bother too much to be honest. Most of the brands that you have in the UK we have over here. The only thing I did bring a couple of extra pots of was my moisturiser because I get eczema on my face, and needed enough to last until I could find a suitable alternative. I have just had a big spring clean and I found loads of half-used tubes and bottles of things that we bought in our regular packing that we haven't used after three years.

Oh that's good to know my hubby laughs when i start going on about "stock piling", oz is not a 3rd world country is all i hear him say, he thinks i'm bonkers LOL! x

event.png

Oh that's good to know my hubby laughs when i start going on about "stock piling", oz is not a 3rd world country is all i hear him say, he thinks i'm bonkers LOL! x

LOL so does mine, he wants to just go with a suitcase untill i told him how cheap it would be to ship his plasma and playstation, then it all changed, suprise suprise!! :biggrin:

Phew! Was gonna get a stash of hamdwash!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Donna 32, Terry 31 and Katie 5!:cool:, IELTS Academic Passed 12/03/11, ANMAC approved 27/06/11, WA SS 30/06/11, 176 visa lodged 30/06/11. CO 2/8/11, PCC UK 26/8, PCC cyprus 7/9, meds finalised 31/08/11, visa granted 10/10/11, flight booked 02/03/12.

Look, bring a few bits to keep you going whilst you settle in, it's one less thing to worry & stress about initially. Most things can be bought over here be it under different names for example Sure deodorant = Rexona. The major brands can be found in the supermarkets. If you use a specific product try to research it, amongst the other millions of things you need to do, before you come over. Good luck

Sue

Open your eyes; the world is outside your door

You can take as long as they are not flammable, there is usually an orange flame symbol on the back if they are. The packers should weed them out anyway. You can get most stuff here but not some European face care brands, depends what you use.

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

Guest Beth101
can I load my container with boxes of toiletries, deoderants, shampoos that we like or will we be charged duty?

I wouldn't bother, you can buy most of the same toiletries and cosmetics here - especially the big brands like Herbal Essences, Pantene, Dove, Palmolive etc

Have a look at http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/aboutus/faq.asp.

I was surprised to find The Body Shop in most malls and Rimmel products being sold in Big W.

Does anyone know if you will get charged duty on a box of new toiletries though? I have just been to the Body Shop sale and picked up about 15 bottles of shower gel for £2 each. I checked the prices for Body Shop Oz and the exact same ones are about $13 each so I said I'd fill my boots. But I don't want it costing me roughly the same by the time I pay duty:eek:

What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?:eek:

Be careful about taking Pantene shampoo/conditioner lol, weird I know but i heard something about someone hiding drugs inside one once, and actually when i opened my suitcase it was everywhere! The lock on my suitcase was broken, like they'd checked my toiletries lol. Might be different for shipping tho?

Btw you are allowed aerosoles if it has a locked lid

I have been told no aerosols, so I think apart from that I may as well take any toiletries I have here, better to use then than to throw them away and then have to buy again.

Does anyone know if you will get charged duty on a box of new toiletries though? I have just been to the Body Shop sale and picked up about 15 bottles of shower gel for £2 each. I checked the prices for Body Shop Oz and the exact same ones are about $13 each so I said I'd fill my boots. But I don't want it costing me roughly the same by the time I pay duty:eek:

Who buys 15 bottles of shower gel???????? Are you mad!

Why do women have to stock pile?

Or do you have an odour problem? :biglaugh:

14-03-08 Operation Get Down Researched 23-03-08 Appointed Agent 06-05-08 TRA Application Sent 23-05-08 TRA Passed

04-06-08 Online Visa Application Submitted

Who buys 15 bottles of shower gel???????? Are you mad!

Why do women have to stock pile?

Or do you have an odour problem? :biglaugh:

Men don't get it. My other half was using my extra special £15 shampoo as shower gel every day:eek: I also hate going to the supermarket so I tend to stock pile as much as I can. My only day off in which to go to the supermarket always seems to fall on Senior Citizens day when all the specials are on but you can't get anywhere near the shelves for motorized buggies. Hope no one takes offence to that but seriously, it really grinds my gears..............bless them:twitcy:

What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?:eek:

Men don't get it. My other half was using my extra special £15 shampoo as shower gel every day:twitcy:

Men don´t get it I agree, my OH has not got a clue, he just goes on about my potions as he calls them, I like to use TIGI hair products, and truly miss them as they are so expensive here, like three times the price of the UK.

I love Molten Brown too, but I am a DOVE fan too as I get quite dry skin.........

Our shippers said it was fine to take toiletries but to be careful because a lot leak on the way. Also that a lot of things don't survive over the Equator - he said the container can sit at 40C+ in the container.

I sent a box of toiletries 'cos like many ladies I stockpiled, and some of it was Bath & Body Works from the USA which you can't get here (tho strangely The Reject Shop sells cheap knock-offs of B&BW?!). No aerosols, I just carried them with me (had bought a few Magicool sprays, which you'd think would go down a storm in Aus, but you can't get it!).

It all got through AQIS no probs, looking forward to my smellies arriving Monday!

She'll be right!