General Skilled Migration - the future

George Lombard

Guest VickyMel
Hi George..

Curious what your thoughts are...

If the gov't decides to take an occupation off the SOL, say in July 2012 (or even earlier), what would happen to those applicants who have already made an application prior to the change?

I think when the new SOL came out in July 2011, everyone who wasn't on the new SOL got moved to Category 5 (neverending wait :S). Could that happen again in 2012?

Or would they just "kill off" those applications and make them apply for a new visa?

I think that has always been the case.

When I arrived on PIO applying in 2009 for a Cat 2 visa (at the time) it took me a little while to work out that a load of people who applied in 2008 had previously been top of the pile had been dumped down. Then just as we were looking forward to hearing from our CO priorities changed and we went down a couple, new changes and down again, then eventually up again although some of the people applying for the same visa as I did are still in Cat 5.

They did try killing off people (pre-Sept 2007 applicants) and I think did a few but I think the threat of legal actions kept a few in the game. There are people in Cat 5 waiting since 2007. Some of those people even had COs at one point and I know at least one who had been asked by a CO to do their Meds etc.

So your application remains in play but you can go up and down the priorities with changes. We were in 4 different priorities during the process.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then... wouldn't any independent offshore applications now be a bet on the 2012 SOL?

The CO allocations at the moment for 175 independent offshore are only up to late April 2011 (before July 2011 changes), which is 8 months earlier; so unless DIAC speeds up processing, it'd prob take at least 8 months if not more for an application today to be allocated to a CO (at the current priority level). If the SOL changed between now and July 2012 then.... :S

@Jowill - yes you'd have to be prepared to roll that dice but it's a dice with 200 sides and despite what I've said above about possible changes, in reality the change which does eventuate will be incremental. Expect no more than four or five changes every year unless Skills Australia changes its methodology.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest chocolatecoffee

Hi George,

I am new there.

Thanks for your information.

I am applying 176 visa, and have attempted IELTS for 6 times, but never got 7 in writing and speaking (just 6.5). Is there any means to get 7 in w and s? can I use combined result as I have got 9 in R and 8.5 in L.

Thanks a lot.

I've had quite a number of enquiries recently concerning how people should be approaching GSM in the future, when the new "skill select" model is introduced and people have to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) before they're allowed to apply for a General Skilled Migration visa.

Start of an FAQ, please feel free to add your own:

1. Where can I find out about the 2012 changes?

DIAC does have a link on its website, see http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skillselect.htm and a blog, see http://skilledmigration.govspace.gov.au/2011/10/05/skillselect-–-the-who-what-when-why-and-how/

The blog posts will be necessary viewing over the next 6-12 months. Not sure how influential they'll be in challenging DIAC actions, but probably they've decided to use a form of communication which is "informal" in the hope that they won't be bound by unintended consequences of the content.

2. What are the likely changes to the skilled occupation list?

Skills Australia does publish a list of "flagged" occupations which does indicate some insecurity for people in some occupations, see http://www.skillsaustralia.gov.au/PDFs_RTFs/FlaggedOccupations.pdf .

Obviously it would take some courage to initiate studies in Australia (planning to pursue the graduate migration pathway) in a flagged occupation. For people planning to lodge their application now, it's possible that although an application might be validly lodged you might lose priority status if the occupation is downgraded during processing.

3. Do the GSM changes apply to onshore students?

Yes, DIAC is giving strong indications that there will be no exemptions or transitional arrangements for onshore students.

4. What will be the pass mark for my EOI to generate an invitation to apply?

This depends on the competition at the time you apply and the quota for your occupation. Given too that the points test is a blunt instrument, ie there will be many people at each significant points level (65, 70, 75 etc) the order of lodging your EOI will be of critical importance, in fact the time of day of lodgment is going to be significant.

More to come.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi CC,

You've got what the IELTS gurus call a jagged profile. Which means that it would be worth your while appealing the next time you get a 9 or 8.5 in any area, since IELTS tries to moderate results on appeal. Or you've got some form of dyslexia - I don't like your chances of getting the IELTS people to accept that as a pardonable disability but I would certainly be in touch with the IELTS admin where you are to find out.

You sometimes see people who have taken the test 15 or 20 times instead of investing sensibly in coaching - although the test is totally ill-suited and inappropriate for native speakers, it can throw up issues which have a background in fact, in your case I doubt that you've just been unlucky six times.

Of course, as soon as you reach 6.0 on all parts you're eligible to apply for your 175 but would be taking a gamble about reaching 7.0 on each by the time a case officer picks up your file.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest chocolatecoffee

Thx George!

Yes, really tortured by the past IELTS exam.

I will start the course next week and already applied for my 7th attempt in Jan.

I should have applied appeal for the first time where I got 7 in all except 6.5 in w. But when I found there was a chance to appeal, that was already past the deadline by one day.

Next time, if I really get 9 or 8.5, I will appeal as you suggest.

really hope to be australian:cry:

Hey all,

I am in a soup at the moment and was wondering if someone could help me out clear some points that is kinda foggy for me atm.

Below is my situation:

I was recently approved of my 485 visa after almost 13 months of waiting.

My employer has agreed to sponsor me for my permanent residency. But for a 485 to proceed to an ENS one should have a minimum of 3 years exprience in the skills that one is applying for and should have a positive skills assessment.

I have the ielts score with me atm, the positive skills assessment which falls into the ENS skills list but I do not have the 3 years experience yet.( i have 2 years au exp(part time+ ful time) and almost 6 months overseas exp)

Would it be advisable for me to apply for a 3 year work experience waiver and put my ENS application across? Is it usually approved? Are waivier applications usually delayed?

If a DRC is filled out with a waiver for work experience what are my chances of getting a permanent residency?

has anybody here applied for a work exp waiver through ENS? If so, how easy was it and how long did it take? I seriously can't be bummed waiting for another year!

Thanks all

Cheers,

Ross

Guest chocolatecoffee

hi George,

just re-reading your post, and found that the 9 in R and 8.5 in L is the latest result meaning that not yet past the appeal deadline.

I wonder what the common moderation is in case of appeal? is it usually 0.5 or even 1? (where I got 6 in w and 6.5 in s)

can I appeal for 2 papers at one time?

Hi CC,

You've got what the IELTS gurus call a jagged profile. Which means that it would be worth your while appealing the next time you get a 9 or 8.5 in any area, since IELTS tries to moderate results on appeal. Or you've got some form of dyslexia - I don't like your chances of getting the IELTS people to accept that as a pardonable disability but I would certainly be in touch with the IELTS admin where you are to find out.

You sometimes see people who have taken the test 15 or 20 times instead of investing sensibly in coaching - although the test is totally ill-suited and inappropriate for native speakers, it can throw up issues which have a background in fact, in your case I doubt that you've just been unlucky six times.

Of course, as soon as you reach 6.0 on all parts you're eligible to apply for your 175 but would be taking a gamble about reaching 7.0 on each by the time a case officer picks up your file.

Cheers,

George Lombard

@ Ross - the DRC only applies to agent-lodged applications. I think a lot of onshore student applicants are making assumptions about DRC and three year waiver applications which aren't justified. It's a simple matter to consult with an agent on those issues. One important issue where we see a lot of confusion is that part-time work cannot count towards the three year employment requirement.

@ CC - just appeal and see what happens. Call them if you're unsure and remember that phrase "jagged profile".

@ Shaigi - get professional help, you can't apply for a 475 and then go for more points for an 887 application.

Cheers,

George Lombard

@ Ross - the DRC only applies to agent-lodged applications. I think a lot of onshore student applicants are making assumptions about DRC and three year waiver applications which aren't justified. It's a simple matter to consult with an agent on those issues. One important issue where we see a lot of confusion is that part-time work cannot count towards the three year employment requirement.

@ CC - just appeal and see what happens. Call them if you're unsure and remember that phrase "jagged profile".

@ Shaigi - get professional help, you can't apply for a 475 and then go for more points for an 887 application.

Cheers,

George Lombard

hey george,

thanks for getting back mate.

yes, i am taking the help of an agent!

Wanted to make sure that work exp waivers actually are fruitful! have u dealt with waiver apps mate? how was the strike rate?

Thanks.

Ross

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just needed some information regarding migration. I have just got promoted in a retail store that I worked for the last 2.5 years, and just wondering whether there is such thing as sponsorship for retail manager? I am currently on bridging visa A (finished my adv.diploma study in Australia) to my 485, but then I can't get to the skilled migration since my occupation is out of list (baker/pastry chef). I am hoping that the company I work for would sponsor me later, thus I am trying to find out whether I can be sponsored by them for my PR.

Thanks

Hi Arc,

There is a list of occupations for a 457 visa, and a separate list for ENS applications, and yet another list of occupations for RSMS. I doubt that you'll be eligible for an ENS visa directly as you won't have three years work experience but it's conceivable that you'd qualify for the concession, it depends on your situation. DIAC is suggesting that holding a Bridging Visa may be considered leniently in any 457 application at the moment, I don't think that approach can carry over to ENS or RSMS. Talk to a migration agent.

Cheers,

George Lombard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angus13

hello to all i am a new memebr here and i have one crucial question

i was born on August 9th of 1980 and if i will do the visa procedure now I will be eligible according to the immigration booklet to get 30 points in the enw imigration point system

my enquriy is this: on 9th of August 2012(this year) I will close my 32 yeras old do you think that after tha date and until the 9th of August 2013 i will still eligible for these 30 points?

please help me with this crucial question

whwre may i ask for that thing?

thanks

hello to all i am a new memebr here and i have one crucial question

i was born on August 9th of 1980 and if i will do the visa procedure now I will be eligible according to the immigration booklet to get 30 points in the enw imigration point system

my enquriy is this: on 9th of August 2012(this year) I will close my 32 yeras old do you think that after tha date and until the 9th of August 2013 i will still eligible for these 30 points?

please help me with this crucial question

whwre may i ask for that thing?

thanks

Yes, I cant see why you wouldn't as long as you are 32 when you put in your visa application

Guest angus13
Yes, I cant see why you wouldn't as long as you are 32 when you put in your visa application

thanks for your quick response

do you think that I will be still eligible for these 30 pointa until the 9th of August 2013 when I wil close my 33 years old?that means I have 1 yera and about 8 mnths to be in the categoiry of the 30 points submitted ot am I wrong?

It all depends on your age at AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. If you are 32 at the time you apply, you WILL get your 30 points, even if they process it later when you have turned older. It doesn't matter when they process it or when you get the visa, it only matters that on the day you applied, you were 32....

Guest angus13

ok but when i am 32 and one day or 32 and 11 months or 32 and 11 months and 29 days just one day before i turn 33 will I still be eligible for these 30 points?please i want your help

thanks

hello

could anyone help me with a small problem regarding an occupation on SOL or refer me to someone who might help:

does ANZCO 224111 -actuary refers to actuarial analyst occupation as well? these two are closely related, but one requires high accreditation which few people have it..

thanks for any input

ok but when i am 32 and one day or 32 and 11 months or 32 and 11 months and 29 days just one day before i turn 33 will I still be eligible for these 30 points?please i want your help

thanks

Hi Angus,

You must be 32 years (at most) when you lodge the visa part of your slkilled migration application in order to obtain the 30 points.

If you lodge the visa part of the paplication when you are 33 + 1 day you will not get 30 points.

As already stated above, once you have the visa application lodged - it doesn't matter what age you are when the case officer reviews and hopefully grants your visa application.

Hope this helps.

Declan Clune

MARN 1001083

Hi Sidney,

The ANZSCO classifies 224111 as detailed below

Hope this helps.

Declan Clune

MARN 1001083

224111 ACTUARY

Analyses mathematical, statistical, demographic, financial or economic data to predict and assess the long-term

risk involved in financial decisions and planning. Registration or licensing is required.

A minimum of a degree qualification is required for this occupation.

ACTUARIES, MATHEMATICIANS AND STATISTICIANS

Tasks Include:

defining, analysing and solving complex financial and business problems relating to areas such as insurance premiums, annuities, superannuation funds, pensions and dividends examining financial projections for general insurance companies, finance companies, government and other organisations designing new types of policies, assessing risks and analysing investments in life insurance, superannuation funds, health insurance, friendly societies, financial markets and other areas formulating mathematical models to simulate processes applying models to experimental observations, and adjusting and recasting the models using numerical analysis methods to develop algorithms and perform computations liaising with management and clients to determine the subject or area to be surveyed or examined specifying the data to be collected, and the methodology to be used in collection and analysis evaluating and describing the reliability and utility of source information analysing and interpreting data, and producing relevant statistics to describe and infer particular trends and patterns

Sorry to join the discussion so late.. But there were some earlier posts regarding the possibility of some occupations ( in my case accountancy) being removed from the SOL.

From my understanding of the new system, there really is no point to removing professions from the list as they will only invite as many as they need, at the top points rating. Unless they want to limit how many existing applications they will have to process in the interim.

I was wondering if they announce changes to the SOL in advance, or is a surprise on the morning of 1 July?

My reason for asking is that I am pregnant, and although we anticipate getting a CO soon, it is impossible for us to get everything processed before 1 July.... Unless I have the medicals while pregnant. I really don't want the X-rays until after the baby arrives, but if it means possibly being pushed into cat5 then I feel I should get it done and just apply for a separate visa for the new baby.

Of course if we know in advance what will happen on 1 July, then the decision is much easier to make.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Nats