and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest slgk

Qualifying as an Australian Solicitor

Guest slgk

Hi there,

I only moved to Oz last week and so I am totally new to this forum!

I am an English qualified Solicitor (3PQE - civil litigation and conveyancing) and was wondering if anyone else is in the process of trying to cross qualifying and has any advice regarding the process and/or has any advice re the job market in Sydney and whether it is preferable to get a job in the first instance as a paralegal or an English qualified solicitor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sarah

If you have not already done so, speak to the NSW Law Society.

Good luck.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest Cooperclan
Hi there,

I only moved to Oz last week and so I am totally new to this forum!

I am an English qualified Solicitor (3PQE - civil litigation and conveyancing) and was wondering if anyone else is in the process of trying to cross qualifying and has any advice regarding the process and/or has any advice re the job market in Sydney and whether it is preferable to get a job in the first instance as a paralegal or an English qualified solicitor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I was just wondering if you got to Oz under the GSM route and if so was this as a solicitor?

Thanks Anne

Hello

I am in the same boat. I spoke to a recruiter and he said don't bother with qualifying again in oz. I have tried to research it myself but it is typically opaque. I'm 3 PQE financial regulation / corporate it's easier apparently the bigger the 'brands' you have worked for in the uk and obviously your area of expertise. If you have any insights, I'm on the plane next week! Let me know.

I'm keeping an eye on this as well. Scots qualified but in-house with a large aerospace company.

I'm in the same boat i'm 2.5 year PQE employment law experienced and wanting to move to NT to live with my partner and wondering what I will need to do to qualify there.

Can I ask what type of visa you went for as well please?

Arrived in Australia on a working holiday visa 10/08/13 (to live with my partner), applied for De Facto Partner Visa 820/801 and granted bridging visa 09/07/14, last documents uploaded 22/12/14, contacted 09/07/15 by immigration and asked to have my medical done, medical completed 20/07/15, uploaded 27/07/15 and temporary partner visa (820) issued 27/07/15 :smile:

Just signed up to this forum! We're heading over to Oz at some point before the end of this year (on a 100/309 partner visa) and I've also been looking into this. It seems quite straightforward - you need to apply to the Legal Profession Admissions Board for exemptions, then if you meet all the criteria to apply for admission (2 character references plus the fee) and attend the admission ceremony. You may need to take a couple of subjects at uni or equivalent to satisfy all the academic requirements, but that very much depends on your academic history to date.

http://www.lpab.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lpab/legalprofession_overseas_practitioners/legalprofession_overseas_practitioners_overseasadmssn_uniform.html

Hope this helps!

Hi

Looking at moving to oz.... I'm an NQ and wondered whether any of you had decided to cross qualify and whether you are still working in the legal field.

Thanks

Guest guest73691

I wasn't on the thread originally, but I'm in the process of trying to get qualified in NSW. I came over here a year ago at about 1.5 years PQE and have been working for a law firm for most of that time. I am working as a lawyer, but can't call myself a solicitor until I am admitted here. Although you can work here without being admitted, most firms will want you to get admitted. The process is a bit of a pain. Most English qualified solictors I know who have a law degree and want to get admitted in NSW have to study between 4 and 5 academic subjects, plus 2 college of law subjects. I imagine it is similar in other states, but each state will have their own process and requirements.