How long has it took you? And how much?

Guest Kristy

Hi Kirsty

The whole process for getting our 176 PR visa took about 6 months and cost about £2700. I think the time it takes might depend on which visa you are going for.

It seems to take ages to begin with and then no sooner have your medical you get your visa! Then you have to pay out more money to fly into Australia to validate it - but that's the fun bit :laugh:.

Good luck with your application if you decide to go for it, Natasha :spinny:

Hi again Kirsty! Forgot to say about first steps!

We used the Australian immigration page to check out the occupations in demand.

My husbands a teacher and I'm a social worker and they are both in demand so we knew we could apply.

There is an online check you can use which gives you an idea of whether you will be eligable.

I would check that your profession is on the occupations in demand list first and if it is, then go through the check list.

Best of luck :wink:

Guest SupportPants

I think probably around 3500 pounds for the visas, 2000 for flights, 2500 for shipping. Once here you need a run around car (unless in a city centre with public transport) 5000 AUD, 2000 deposit on a rental and 2000 month in advance. If you haven't a job lined up then about 2 months living expenses.

Our visa took about 11 months. Oh and then we had to fly offshore to validate it as we were already here.

Take a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard to start.

It cost us £3k to get the visa but that was DIY, using an agent will add around £1500 extra.

We are looking at shipping costs of £3-4k and flights (for 5) to be around £3k.

We started the process in April this year so 6 months ish time wise, but could have pushed it down to 4-5 months if we'd been in a hurry !

Justin:wink:

Thank you for the advise and replys... I worked out once I had sorted things at my end in the uk in a few years time I'd have £20-£30k depending on housing market.... I'm a photographer here with my own business, been talking to photographers in Melbourne and looking at there work and seem on par with them... I guess my biggest hurdle is I'm now a single mum :(

I know I'll achieve my dream some how, I just want to set myself some goals and time scales....

Guest Pixie10

Bit like Chardy for us- we started the skills assessment and IELTS end of March beginning of April, SS went in May and visa submitted June granted 1st August, we too could have rushed the meds and Pc through quicker if we needed to.... as for money a lot! We did it ourselves so about £ 115 for skills assessment, IELTS I forget but not alot,PC about £35 ish each, Meds £170ish Visa £1800 ish I think? then £1600 for 2 adult flights in Jan and £ 370ish for 5 large boxes to be shipped, couple of hundred for holiday rental for a few weeks.

Goodluck you can do it xxx

I think thats my plan too... sell my house, rent somewhere here for 6mths while i start putting things in line, I want to look at boosting the art side of my business too, 2nd income there as i can run that from any where in the world, i seem to sell alot of my work to america at the moment...

i'm a breast feeding support worker in my free time here too... i'd hope to be able to keep on helping new mums there too x

• 3 weeks later...

Good topic ,

£2880 for my agent , £135 for Ielts , £450 for vetassess and thats where im upto , have the following still to come

Trade test £1600ish

State sponsorship £150 IIRC ish

Visa submision to DIAC £1960

Police checks £35

Meds £125 ish

Flights £650 ish

Shipping upto 4 K

A long way to go still :biggrin:

ive got the figure at a guess at £20k. i expect some change though! quite a bit would be nice.

it doesnt help that my skills assesment has gone from about £150 to £2300 (3500$)! its all good though, maybe victoria university could use it to paint the place or something. a new coffee machine would be nice :)

thats for 2 adults, 3 children and a 40ft container with our lives in.

the missus is a bit of a hoarder, and just about everything is sentimental. (it is as bad as it sounds!)

probably bung the car in the container too, so that should save a few quid. (i hope!)