register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest melonie

Hi new in Aus Tax

Guest melonie

Hi can someone please tell me how i can apply for a tax number for my husband. Also as i am a non working housewife do I also need a tax number?

please advise, sorry if this is a repetative question, we have looked on line and asked questions but the replies we get keep on referring us back to the same website. :embarrassed:

Hi Melonie,

Have a look at this PDF, some really good info on there:

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/beginning-life/_pdf/eng.pdf

Hopefully page 8 will answer your question

IELTS 19/03/11 (Overall: 8.5) | ACS (Dev/Prog 2613-12) passed 18/06/11 | 175 Lodged 22/06/11 | Front Loaded PCC 26/09/11, Meds 19/11/11 | CO: 30/01/12 | Visa Grant: 31/01/12 | Fly Out to Perth 13/08/12 | Settling into Perth...

Guest melonie

Thanks a million, will do ;)

Guest wannabeozz

That's really good info, thanks!:)

Hi, getting a tax number is very easy, just requires you to fill in a name, address and passport number online (2 mins tops) and it gets sent via post within about a week.

If you plan to bring savings with you, and to have them in a joint bank account, be aware that all people who share the account must submit their own TFN number to the bank, otherwise the bank is legally required to withhold the highest rate of tax (45%) on any interest you earn.