and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Gregoz

where to live in Central QL??

Hello everbody!!

I am Gregoz from Scotland.

I have just scored a travelling sales job and my boss, who is based in WA has given me free licence to live anywhere in the Central coast of Queensland eg Mackay, Airlie Beach, Rockhampton etc.

I am a country boy at heart but I am 35 years old, single so do not want to be stuck away out in the sticks by myself. I will be travelling internationaly quite often so reasonably close proximity to an airport is a must.

Can anyone suggest the best locations to consider setting up home in this region?

Thanks in advance,

Gregoz

Guest SupportPants
Hello everbody!!

I am Gregoz from Scotland.

I have just scored a travelling sales job and my boss, who is based in WA has given me free licence to live anywhere in the Central coast of Queensland eg Mackay, Airlie Beach, Rockhampton etc.

I am a country boy at heart but I am 35 years old, single so do not want to be stuck away out in the sticks by myself. I will be travelling internationaly quite often so reasonably close proximity to an airport is a must.

Can anyone suggest the best locations to consider setting up home in this region?

Thanks in advance,

Gregoz

I guess you are looking at a trade off between the inconvenience of not being near an international airport and somewhere you like? Do you know FNQ at all? I think Cairns would give you access to Singapore or Japan but Brisbane, of course, is the most convenient. If you are looking for pretty towns then I'd say it's Airlie Beach (very very small though) and Cairns. Rockhampton and Mackay? Well....I'd be surprised if a 35 year old chap would enjoy them unless he has a fetish issue.

thanks! So Mackay and Rockhampton are out you reckon!

Cairns is too far North, Brissie too far South, I think I am going to have to look at Airlie Beach - I was leaning towards it anyway!

Thanks for your help and please feel free to add anything else.

Thanks,

Gregoz

Guest SupportPants
thanks! So Mackay and Rockhampton are out you reckon!

Cairns is too far North, Brissie too far South, I think I am going to have to look at Airlie Beach - I was leaning towards it anyway!

Thanks for your help and please feel free to add anything else.

Thanks,

Gregoz

I thought Cairns might have been your best bet - multicultural, lush and green, decent social scene and less hick than other parts of FNQ. Airlie is tiny - just a few bars on the main strip. Do you sail? The Whitsundays are lovely and there is some great diving at Bait Reef (2 hours or so from Airlie). Airlie is a backpacker town generally so the pubs will be busy. Apart from the small size (and probably infrequent exy flights? Haven't checked) - then I don't think you'd be disappointed. I'm here now and it's lovely!!

Quiet sounds good....for most of the time. yeah, like my boating but LOVE my fishing Airlie seems like a nice central place to be. I will be servicing the mines inland so travel required whatever. I'm due out there early Jan - maybe hook up for a drink if you are still around?

GB

Guest SupportPants
Quiet sounds good....for most of the time. yeah, like my boating but LOVE my fishing Airlie seems like a nice central place to be. I will be servicing the mines inland so travel required whatever. I'm due out there early Jan - maybe hook up for a drink if you are still around?

GB

We, sadly, have to be down in Mackay in another week or so for work but it's pretty close. We have a boat so will be round. A drink would be good.

sounds good! thanks for your help and I will give you a shout closer to the time.

GB

GB

Mate, chances are that you will need Mackay airport a fair bit, Airlie is supposedly going to get a revamp, but with the tourist trade and government monetry funds being low, I doubt it will be for many years yet.

Plenty of excellent fishing and boating in and around Mackay...:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

If that beauty in your pic is anything to go by Bob, then there certainly is!

Accomodation choices seemed a bit limited in Mackay - I guess the old supply/demand rule. What would I be looking at by road between Airlie and Mackay?, about an hour and a half?

Thanks mate!

If that beauty in your pic is anything to go by Bob, then there certainly is!

Accomodation choices seemed a bit limited in Mackay - I guess the old supply/demand rule. What would I be looking at by road between Airlie and Mackay?, about an hour and a half?

Thanks mate!

About that, Greg; it takes me 2 hours to Prossy Dam, towing my tinny.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. The barra was caught at Kinchant Dam, 60 km from Mackay.

Cheers Bob! I reckon I can live with that but will have a good hunt around before I settle on something.

what kind of wieght was in that cracker? Never had a barra. done my fair share of fishing in Oz but always down South - looking forward to putting that right!!

Thanks again mate!

Cheers Bob! I reckon I can live with that but will have a good hunt around before I settle on something.

what kind of wieght was in that cracker? Never had a barra. done my fair share of fishing in Oz but always down South - looking forward to putting that right!!

Thanks again mate!

103 cm (40.5") and 39 lbs...a tiddler.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.