Whats in your Dream Box from home arriving tomorrow morning?

Guest IrishM

Hi Everyone.

I'm hoping that some of you will be able to help me, hopefully I am not being cheeky. I am currently researching providing a bespoke shopping service for expats. I have lived abroad myself, and spent a year in Australia. I know that some items can be expensive for you to buy there (random items like books, greeting cards, perfume etc). My younger sister has been in Brisbane for over 3 years and has given me her list of 10 things she would like delivered tomorrow morning (it's a dream box :wink:) but she had to think back to her first six months when she missed everything so much more.

My intention is to provide a personal service that will cut out high shipping costs. I feel for anyone who is homesick & sometimes a few things from home could help you get through the worst of it..or maybe you just can't do without your No 7 Protect & Perfect serum & your M&S undies or NEXT childrens clothes!! I understand also that you may not always want to have to ask family/friends to send items out.

I really really appreciate anyone who has time to think about it & send me a reply. Because of my geographical postition I will be able to provide both UK & Irish goods.

Thanks so much in advance if you can help me out, really looking forward to reading what's in your box...enjoy the sunshine & your new lives. xx

Thanks, I know, but you would be paying seperate shipping charges. I would like to combine all the purchases into one package which would be much more cost effective for the customer.

Thanks so much for coming back to me..any feedback is really appreciated as I really need to guage the demand.

Hiya, we have not yet moved, but have been thinking hard on this exact topic, on what I might send myself, or ship out.

I think it would be useful for birthday cards, greeting cards, gift wrap etc, as there are loads of chose in m&s and next for £1 items with are lovely.

White bras, and all underwear really,

Pj's

Chocolate bars are a worry for me, as a proper addict to giant choc buttons

I totally understand I can buy everything in australia, but the comfort of home is amazing.

I mum posted me a box while in cyprus, it had bed socks!, thortons chocs, more chocs, forgotten the rest now, but loved it.

Am sure other things will be noticable when we move, and know that it is expensive for our folks to post things out.

Donna x

Thanks Donna..brilliant.

Chocolate could be a problem as it's one of my sisters biggest losses but can't be posted..she found a stall at a fair selling UK chocolate & spent $14 all on her self..wouldn't even share it with the kids!, sound familiar?! I really appreciate this..personally I think we should all get our home comfort fix if we need it..no matter how random it is!..if you think of anything else let me know.

Good Luck with your move..so exciting!

Thanks for the good wishes Lara...teabags are a big one!

It's wrecking my head at the moment but putting everything into it..any feedback is so welcome!

Hope hubby gets home safe.

Thanks again x

Guest SupportPants

I think you'd need to 'add value' with a sort of cutesy ex pat basket of things you didn't know you missed. Or anticipate new products in the UK that someone would like. I say this because of course you can get free shipping to Oz on amazon, asos, m&s, next etc

I suspect there is a niche but invention and creativity is the key!

Guest famousfive

I'm Irish and one of the things I have noticed here is quite a few British products are available,especially in the major cities but Irish goods are still hard to come by.The same goes for online shopping,no chance of getting your favourite undies sent over from an Irish shop because most do not ship to oz or if they do they charge a fortune.

My mom sends a goodie box every 3mths and for the kids the favourites are....jelly tots,wine gums,fruit pastilles,taytos,monster munch,biscuits etc...for the adults she sends barrys and lyons tea bags,jamaica ginger cake etc..Sent ready brek for the kids last time,they ate it for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

Good luck with the venture.I know we can get irish gift baskets sent here but they are megga expensive.I think the more day to day items are the way to go.And.....a copy of the local paper is nice too.I know you can read them online but it is not the same.Mom sends two local weekly rags and we all have a gander.

Thanks so much to everyone for their replies..please keep them coming, all your comments are fantastic.

I don't want to do the usual wrap it with a bow..impersonal basket from the homeland. I want to combine a general shopping experience with a "go get my shopping list I miss"..no matter how diverse.:biggrin: Hopefully it will work!

I think the thing is that whilst we miss some things ... my kids always ask for quavers for example if someone is coming over - I don't know that I would buy them specifically from a website. My local IGA sells british chocolate now too.

I think you do adapt to things here and then tend not to miss things from the UK quite as much.

Guest perkipie

I can not drink anything but PG tips....... will be interesting to see if i can adjust lol.

You have a great idea, good luck with it :yes:

PP

I know, Ali if you settle then thats fab, but not everyone does..also not everyone wants to ask the folks at home to send them out their bisto & bra's (not really what every mother in law needs to see on the xmas list!) I just want to help all the one's who aren't ducks to water, those who don't want just want the extra few things to keep them going without all the talk at home about what you have to send out..the irish folk will know what I mean!!

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who has had her own business - and planning a new one - i've too many ideas to mention - go for it , you never know till you try.

As someone who is hoping to move next year - i was thinking recently of the things i'd miss - knorr breadsauce for christmas (wouldn't be christmas without it), Lyons teabags, cadburys - all of it, oil of ulay. Sure theres lots more - great idea though - good luck with it