North Lakes?

Keira huggins

hey guys

So it's a go and I have spent WEEKS looking / researching where potentially we would like to live.

I guess a bit of background would help.

My hubbie, 36 and a true lover of everything outdoors, underwater and walking, will be working within the CBD.

My son, 12. Mad into sport especially rugby and football. Very sociable nd likes to play OUTSIDE.

Me, will also be the wrong side of 35, kind of quiet until you get to know me but will appreciate being able to meet people and hopefully work within the law enforcement side of things.

I really would love to be able to point the other half in the direction of where we could and would like to live.

We are not city dwellers, we like the quiet but with the option to have the fun close by. We are looking for a great family community, good schools, good commute links, good house prices ( sounds like we want the world)

From research so far I really do like the sounds of North Lakes but to make an informed decision I need pros , cons and alternatives..............SO........ Anyone who can help, I will send a mince pie over to you :biggrin:

Hi we are moving to the redcliffe area end of Jan,we looking at mango hill after loads of research like you.

Seems to provide what we looking for and from what I can tell mango hill nicer than north lakes.

Hubby has already secured a job and I'm transferring my business from the UK,I work.from home so shouldn't be too hard.

We have 3 children a nearly 11 year old girl a 8 year old boy and my littlen who is almost 2.

I'm nearly 32 and like you a bit reserved until you get to know me lol.

I would love to chat etc as we are both similar ages and both moving to the same area I guess.

Plus forgot to say the final reason I think we have decided on mango hill is the brand new mango hill state school which opens in Jan.I've heard mixed reviews on north lakes school,not the private one and my two go to a very small school over here, and mango hill is only expecting 150 to enroll the first year which suits my two as they won't be thrown in with a big crowd.

Anyway will stop rambling on

Kate x

Hi there

I have done a bit of a research into these areas (mainly on here!). North Lakes gets very mixed reviews so it's worth doing a search. The school up there looks ok but I seem to remember it was massive. I remember reading on here about the traffic problems getting out of the area too.

I looked a bit at Redcliffe area but the NAPLAN results from the state schools over there weren't great. (my school website) This put me off a bit as my son goes to a great school here in England.

Done some research about Narangba, and now looking at Albany Creek too.

You seem to get lots of value for money in areas like Joyner and Warner but I don't know what they are like as haven't seen them mentioned much on here.

Interesting to read about the new school at Mango Hills. I didn't know about that.

Good luck, it's not easy.

North Lakes is no longer "cheap". The plots have got smaller and the prices dearer. If you aren't into running a taxi service, the only thing the kids will have to do is make their way to the shopping Mal and depending where on the estate you live, it could take 'em ages to walk there.

Ignore Naplan. It's flawed.

Closer in, take a look at Petrie, Murrumba Downs, (no rail) Bracken Ridge, Albany creek, carseldine

good luck

Yep has taken me an entrity looking up schools,my hubby is going to be based in redcliffe but as you said schools arnt that great.So far Mango Hill ticks all the boxes and is still only a 10 min drive to the beach a big need for us lol.

There is a website for the new mango hill school and am going to keep checking it for more info,as you said the north lakes school is huge and again mixed reviews.

As we moving to new country I am.hoping a brand new school will help kids settle.

Hi,

We (husband 45, myself 34 and 2 yo son) are moving in March next year. We have been looking for a similar lifestyle to what you are describing (beach, watersports, outdoor living) and think we have settled on Petrie. It is 35 minutes on the express train to the CBD and I've been told it has larger blocks of land and a good community feel. We prefer a quiet, safe, "neighbourly" home life and have good access to the city when needed. It's also 20 minutes to Redcliffe beach and we are looking forward to getting up to the Sunshine coast on the weekends.

Anyway, as everyone always says on here - nothing beats having a look for yourself! Im going for a short visit in January to check things out and can let you know what I find if you'd like.

Jess

Cheers for the info guys, I guess the hunt is still on:wink:

Will take a look at Mango Hills and the other areas mentioned. My son actually found there the other day and said he liked the look of that. I guess I should be 12 years old when searching on the tinterweb, they seem so much better at it than us oldies.

We have the time, due to the new laws for animals coming into play, my hubbie is travelling out first and we will follow at the end of May, pah! but can't leave the pooch behind it would be like cutting off my left arm!

Guest guest36187

Brisbanes western suburbs gets sadly overlooked a lot when people come to Oz.

If you dont need to be on the north side, it is worth considering us too. I like in sinnamon park, we are fifteen ks from the CBd. We are forty mins from gold coast, just over an hour from sunny coast. We have more sports stadiums here in brissie than you can shake a stick at!!!

I have looked at places in random, literally bringing up map of Brisbane and looked at surrounding burbs from the gap north lakes, south east(can't remember names as I seemed to have looked everywhere ! Hence Help pleeeaasseee. You can't get any better than getting over there to look but unfortunately my hands are tied and hubby starts work pretty much immediately and will be looking at me to guide him also I hope with a little help from people he meets over there.

Any body who is going over there and anyone who is already there your onions are like gold dust and I SO appreciate the feedback.:biggrin::biggrin:

hi

we have been in north lakes for over 4 years and love the area. lots of parks, walk and cycle ways, dog parks, the markets, westfield and good schools.

sure the blocks have gotten smaller as the new areas have opened up but with the amount of parks within each estate, it is not such an issue. we have a five year old and are on a 500sqm block and it is big enough for a trampline and swing etc. we have good neighbours and a nice quiet street.

there are a couple of state schools and a private one with a catholic school on anzac avenue at mango hill so you have your choice of which one to send your children too depending on your circumstances.

i guess that where you live is as much about the area as what you put into it.

there are some downsides though to north lakes and mango hill. the biggest being the commute during the week can be a pain from 0530 till about 0800 though for me it is not such an issue as i can leave for work when i want. with big investments due over the next few years the suburbs will boom.

lol i sound like a real estste agent for stockland but am not, just a happy resident :-)

That's a really useful post,thanks,look I guess plot size is a big thing over in oz but in England its not something that people usually think about too much is it?

We coming from a 4 bed semi not that big really so all houses over there will be bigger than our present one.

At the end of the day ,surely there's more space than in Britain our streets ,rds suburbs are so built up its terrible lol,I'm sure I'll notice the diff straightaway.

X :biggrin:

That's a really useful post,thanks,look I guess plot size is a big thing over in oz but in England its not something that people usually think about too much is it?

We coming from a 4 bed semi not that big really so all houses over there will be bigger than our present one.

At the end of the day ,surely there's more space than in Britain our streets ,rds suburbs are so built up its terrible lol,I'm sure I'll notice the diff straightaway.

For myself, the reason a big block is a necessity is that folk aren't stuck indoors, particularly in Qld. If you have neighbours who entertain a lot, this is generally done outside and if you're one of those who like a bit of peace and quiet, then a smaller block isn't likely to give it to you, unless your neighbours are like you. Most blocks nowadays on newer builds are between 400/500 and the positioning of the house and windows left open if no air conditioning, means that every word of the neighbours can be heard.

Properties with larger blocks are available at susburbs closer in, and prices comparable, if not less than, North Lakes.

Take your time and choose wisely. Look at the neighbouring houses.............are there lots of cars outside a property? (extended families sometimes live in the garage) is the grass mown? Are free newspapers and flyers left on the drive? North Lakes has it's problems the same as any other suburb, particularly with rental properties.

Thanks that's really useful Info,originally we were thinking of kippa ring area as like you said more for your money but the schools issue is a biggen lol.

We haven't ruled out any area yet really bit I must admit I do prefer newer estates.

Do you know if they have any housing complex time things with communal pool etc in the redcliffe area as don't want a pool.in the yard cos of the baby but would like the option of using one

Guest Pete the Feet

North Lakes is a nightmare to get in and out of when commuting by car, rents over rated, crime is high but shopping centre good. Another suburb to look at is Rothwell or Moreton Downs or if your skint Deception Bay. Some of the houses on the North Lakes development are so close that the gutters are only 6 inches apart from the neighbouring house. Idealy South of the North Pine river with a train link near by. Bold Hills and Strathpine also worth a punt.

Guest Pete the Feet
For myself, the reason a big block is a necessity is that folk aren't stuck indoors, particularly in Qld. If you have neighbours who entertain a lot, this is generally done outside and if you're one of those who like a bit of peace and quiet, then a smaller block isn't likely to give it to you, unless your neighbours are like you. Most blocks nowadays on newer builds are between 400/500 and the positioning of the house and windows left open if no air conditioning, means that every word of the neighbours can be heard.

Properties with larger blocks are available at susburbs closer in, and prices comparable, if not less than, North Lakes.

Take your time and choose wisely. Look at the neighbouring houses.............are there lots of cars outside a property? (extended families sometimes live in the garage) is the grass mown? Are free newspapers and flyers left on the drive? North Lakes has it's problems the same as any other suburb, particularly with rental properties.

Yes people who leave news papers and flyers on the drive must be boguns musn't they!

Thanks that's really useful Info,originally we were thinking of kippa ring area as like you said more for your money but the schools issue is a biggen lol.

We haven't ruled out any area yet really bit I must admit I do prefer newer estates.

Do you know if they have any housing complex time things with communal pool etc in the redcliffe area as don't want a pool.in the yard cos of the baby but would like the option of using one

the schools issue is a big one, we looked at 2 state schools and 3 private/church schools and settled on st benedicts on anzac avenue. north lakes state school was just too big though this will start to thin off as mango hill ss and also the murrumba downs secondary school open. bounty boulevard looked good and had a good campus but we had heard mixed reviews from friends. the lakes college was good but expensive so then we looked at living faith lutheran school and st benedicts catholic school. both the last two have large enrolement applications for prep so it is kind of pot luck really. we are very happy with our school choice.

we do not have a backyard pool so we use the pathways leisure centre or go down to redcliffe which is a short drive away.

as previously mentioned the area does have its drawbacks but these are outweighed by the positives. maybe rent in the area for12 months before you decide to buy, that is what we did.

hope this helps a little

No worries with bubbies. All pools are fenced. As for using "community pools". I'd sooner swim in family pee than the pee of other families thank you :goofy: :biggrin:

the schools issue is a big one, we looked at 2 state schools and 3 private/church schools and settled on st benedicts on anzac avenue. north lakes state school was just too big though this will start to thin off as mango hill ss and also the murrumba downs secondary school open.

I very much doubt it. Schools run to capacity. Having another school open in the area will not diminish NL's intake as North Lakes (estate) will continue to grow, so will the intake of the school.

Hi! this is nothing to do with your post but I just noticed you are from Birkenhead, I'm from Wallasey and hubby is from Liverpool, his mum and sister live in Oxton. Ha! Haa!!! small world eh!!!??? We go to Brisbane on 29th Nov, getting close now. When are you moving out??? We are me Elaine and hubby Bill, kids Rebecca, Alex and Benjamin, 15, 13 and 9. Do you have any children?? We are looking to rent initially around North Lakes/Mango Hill and will have a good look around before we buy. Looking forward to it, busy packing still, removals come on Monday. Hope you don't mind me dropping you a line or two?

Bye for now!!

Elaine

Hi! this is nothing to do with your post but I just noticed you are from Birkenhead, I'm from Wallasey and hubby is from Liverpool, his mum and sister live in Oxton. Ha! Haa!!! small world eh!!!??? We go to Brisbane on 29th Nov, getting close now. When are you moving out??? We are me Elaine and hubby Bill, kids Rebecca, Alex and Benjamin, 15, 13 and 9. Do you have any children?? We are looking to rent initially around North Lakes/Mango Hill and will have a good look around before we buy. Looking forward to it, busy packing still, removals come on Monday. Hope you don't mind me dropping you a line or two?

Bye for now!!

Elaine

I have private messaged you Elaine x

We moved over 5 weeks ago and will be moving into a rental in Bridgeman Downs which is next door to Albany Creek. Like you I did a lot of research before we came over and I thought North Lakes was the place I wanted to be (or Mango Hill) but when we got here and we drove to different suburbs I felt that North Lakes (although very nice) seems to much further away from the city than we had anticipated so we started looking closer in but still North. We really liked Albany Creek, Eatons Hill, Bridgeman Downs areas and the schools have good reputations and looked great when we visited them. I've heard good things about North Lakes State College but bad things about Bounty Boulevard. It's all relative though and there will be pros and cons for everywhere.

There are so many nice suburbs here and all offer different things, so I'd say narrow it down to a short(ish) list and then hire a car and drive to those suburbs, visit the schools, check the rental costs and go from there!

Hope this helps!

Good luck with everyone and let me know if I can do anything to make it smoother for you.

Jane

PS I have 3 young kids under 5.

North lakes isn't for everyone some love it some hate. It has a good shopping center nice parks and is well looked after.Schools are ok but if you can afford it go private far better than any state schools.traffic is not a problem any more now there's new roads.The older side has larger plots. All the new plots seem to be getting smaller there's still the odd good sized plot around.

Thanks everyone for your comments,its such a lot to think about,and no matter how much I research until we arrive I feel I can't make a solid decision lol.

Also for those of you who have recently moved how did you find accommodation for when you first arrived.Have found a couple of places,for say a two week stay one being the Kippa Ring motel and don't want to spend a lot of money really.

Obviously I need a washer,kitchen a furnished unit really as I have 3 messy kids,but am.struggled finding somewhere,any help gratefully received x