register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Ladyw

Vetassess - Practical assessment vs Technical Interview

Hi

My husband is a Joiner and we have passed the first stage of the Vetassess application, however we have come to stage two and there are no available dates for a practical assessment in the UK until Feb 2012!! We have looked at possibly doing the technical interview but we are not sure what this involves or whether you still need to do the practical - any advice!? We dont want to wait until February to get this sorted!

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa & Robert

VETASSESS Aug 11, Practical 03/12 IELTS S 9, R 8.5, W 8, L 7, WA SS 01/06/12, 176 Visa Lodged 10/06/12, CO assigned, Meds 10/07, PCC 10/07. Visa grant 24/07/12. Perth 15/10/12!!

Hi,

I sat the joinery test a few months ago, you say Feb? this is not unreasonable as I have to wait a few months till the old wagon rolled back into town, (fortunately the college of north west london is 10 mins away from me!!!) I digress, If you want to know what is store for the practical then let me know and Ill let you know all.

I opted for the prac as was worried I may not come across clear in a skype interview,

What type of joiner is your husband? I worked on bespoke doors and windows (past tense!!! not a joiner anymore :wideeyed:)

speak soon JTC

Voted worst new member 2011..... :err:

Guest Sianburton

Hey

My hubby did the technical interview for carpentry last month as his written application was good and they didnt feel he need to do the practical. He said the interview was quite strange and the number of carpentry related questions was only about 30% of the interview. Tey asked him all sorts of other stuff like basic steel fixing, spit guns and other stuff.

My other half has worked on site for years so knew a bit about other stuff but if your husband isnt sure on other bits i would say to go with the practical. Its a lot of money to spend and him fail to get it through a bit quicker. On the plus side it was only 3 days before we heard he had passed.

Thanks for the replies! I was also hearing that you can go for a TRA assessment, but not sure what htis is as I thought Vetasses was the route to take?! Any advice.

Lisa & Robert

VETASSESS Aug 11, Practical 03/12 IELTS S 9, R 8.5, W 8, L 7, WA SS 01/06/12, 176 Visa Lodged 10/06/12, CO assigned, Meds 10/07, PCC 10/07. Visa grant 24/07/12. Perth 15/10/12!!

Im a metalworker but finding it incredibly difficult to get any info on the trade tests , the test format, dates and content , This thread appears close enough as its still a practical assesment , just in wood not metal :-)

As far as im aware their is only the option of a practical assesment from Vetassess for my trade ( sheet metal worker) and the technical interviews may be phased in some time in the future .

If i indeed had the option id havto ask myself wether i could demonstrate my skills sufficiently in a verbal way , interview and explanation , or wether to be hands on the tools and demonstrate my skills in a practical way . Im on the fence as it is as i would feel confident enough in a tech interview but also happy to stick my overalls on .

Quick question , JCT ,

prior to your practical test did u receive any info at all from the test station or vetassess about what was expected of you , ??? was your test indepth or fairly ( i wont say simple ) remedial and general tasks relevant to the job ?? i realy cant believe that u are expected to just turn up and demonstrate something that you may not have been tought on a uk apprenticeship , or something that you toutched on 20 years ago at college but have never done again in a day to day job . a little hint on revision from them would be nice .

I have located some info on the Vetassess web site about levels of competency and skills expected however, it looks quite demanding 10 % i have never done , been tought or needed to know ,( CAD drawing especially ) 10 % i did at college but havnt touched since then , and theyre also quoting pattern development demonstrations , the amount of knowlage needed to be retained for a pattern development test without a reference book is like asking a sparky to remember the contents of his 17th edition book and all the mathmatical calculations they have on those cards they carry everywhere.

Im a very competent fabricator and sheet metal worker , all the certs , loads of experience and pride myself in being to work with all metals and all fab techniques , but the test has propper put the willies up me !!!

regards lee.

IELTS 08/10/11 8.5/8.5/7.5/9...8.5 O/A, VETASSESS 15/11/11,level 1 pass 19/12/11,practical 25/02/12, results 21/03/12, WA SS 04/04/2012,Approved 30/04/12,DIAC 18/05/2012, CO 28/05/12, PC's 30/05/12, meds 01/06/12 PCC 19/06/12 , VISA Granted 21/06/12......

Hey

My hubby did the technical interview for carpentry last month as his written application was good and they didnt feel he need to do the practical. He said the interview was quite strange and the number of carpentry related questions was only about 30% of the interview. Tey asked him all sorts of other stuff like basic steel fixing, spit guns and other stuff.

My other half has worked on site for years so knew a bit about other stuff but if your husband isnt sure on other bits i would say to go with the practical. Its a lot of money to spend and him fail to get it through a bit quicker. On the plus side it was only 3 days before we heard he had passed.

Hi, i wonder if you could help me regarding the technical interview your husband did for carpenter. I'm a joiner and am about to book up the technical interview as i've been given this as an option with my level 1. Did he have to have his in a controlled environment? i've just got off of the phone to vetassess and they said that i would need to go to london for this which is fine but how long did the interview take?

thanks for any help.

Darren

vetassess jan,level 1 joiner jan,IELTS 21/4 L 7.5,R 9.0,W 8.5,S 9.0,practical 2/6/12,pos TRA 18/6,WA SS 26/6, 176 27/6,C/O 18/7,meds 10/8.visa granted 8/10