Guest Tonip

Mobile phone un -locking?

Guest Tonip

Hi, we are moving to perth in febuary. We were just wondering, if we get our iphone 4 unlocked here, can we buy pay as you go sim cards to put in them there? Or can we get them unlocked there then buy the pay as you go sim?? We dont want to have to buy a phone once we get there if we dont have to seen as though we have fairly new phones now. Thanks guys!!! :spinny::spinny:

What network are you on? Hubby and I both got o2 to unlock our phones, mine was free as it was a paid-off iphone3 I inherited from him when he upgraded, and his cost £15 to unlock as he ended his contract early. It took a few days from requesting though I couldn't say how long, as communications were patchy and we suspect all texts about my phone went to hubby instead of me which was confusing!

o2 unlocked the phones remotely, and once we hooked them up to iTunes the phone itself was unlocked. Easy!

She'll be right!

Guest Big Steve

If they are not unlocked already, then I would get them unlocked in the UK. There is a good chance they are not sim-locked though.

For a SIM - I would look at AMAYSIM. You can order a SIM, they post it from Oz to the UK for £5. When you're ready (perhaps a few weeks before you go) you can activate online. Pre or Post pay (and you can switch between them) and you can choose your own number (some at a premium).

I'm not linked to them in anyway, but I have been impressed with them so far. They are an MVNO, so not sure what the atual network coverage and reliability is. There's no contract so it's low risk.

My iphone is on O2 and I had it unlocked easily through O2 and itunes, just phone your provider up and they will unlock it.

When I took it to AU last year I just bought a pre-paid sim and popped it in no problems. I think I bought an Optus one, I seem to remember for what I needed it for they gave me the best deal.

"If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine"