what where your expectations of oz,and what did you receive

Guest sh7t man no way

Guest Shelduck

some really good points have been made an i echo the one about just being yourself- its not that we tried to be different to make friends but we definitely tried hard to establish ourselves in social circles. 4 years down the line and we have realised that its actually our friends back home that are the ones that know us for ourselves warts and all (we are lovely people honestly !) i know friendships take years to form but im tired of waiting! im v.impatient lol our expectations of oz as a country were spot on- beautiful country, great family lifestyle but as the op said maybe our judgement on some things was a little off. I am not sure what the future holds for us back in uk and there are lots of things i will miss about oz for sure but i am excited to go back to being around the people that we have chosen to surround ourselves with.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telly is totally ****e...agreed. You need satelite. Unless of course you are out at the beach playing volleyball and making loads of mates.

WHEN:eek: in the week it gets dark so early and by the time I got home it was dark and I was knakered, this beach after work thing is one thing I dreamt off before I went before reality steps in.

p.s..good one :wink: just got it... I see you were being sarcastic .

WHEN:eek: in the week it gets dark so early and by the time I got home it was dark and I was knakered, this beach after work thing is one thing I dreamt off before I went before reality steps in.

p.s..good one :wink: just got it... I see you were being sarcastic .

yes year round evening darkness in qld was awful - although we're in teh dark season now in Uk I know it wont last and the long evenings really do seem to go on for a long time here. Even though its still warm to be outside you then have all the evening bugs to contend with - we were inside or under cover far more there than here. Odd hey.

Migrating, even within the same country, is such a subjective experience and what works for one, is a disaster for another. That Scottish girl I told you about who worked in The Trinity Bar, I asked her what she liked about Sydney? 'EVERYTHING!' Caroline, the Irish girl who also worked there said the same thing and both were very sad that they could not stay longer (both on WHV's)

Did I tell you about Seamus, the Irish guy whom I got talking to in The Trinity Bar? I first met him when I was in the YHA hostel at Central whilst I was in between house moves. He had just arrived in Sydney for the first time on his WHV. He recognized me in the Trinity - 'You're Dave! Don't you remember me? Seamus from the YHA?' He was with a mate whom I automatically assumed must be another Irish/English bloke. No, he's an Aussie.

Listening to Seamus' experiences it was like hearing a 'blueprint' for success in migration. Live in hostels for a while, non-stop partying, travelling, then get a job, a flat, get sponsored by his employer for a change to a 457 visa. He plays squash socially in a league and does other sports/gym, made a load of friends, both Irish/British & 'Native!'

But somebody else, in the same circumstances, might find it hard to settle. I've found it easier the second time around, perhaps because I can't 'escape' to my Mum and Dad any more and I've had to 'push' myself to talk to people a bit more. Those barmaids I talk to for instance. I think there was a time when I thought people on the other side of the bar were 'different', to be kept at arm's length.

I can remember walking around this same suburb, on a Sunday, feeling lost, desolate, isolated, and I can imagine it's the way that others feel. I guess it just takes time for a place to feel 'Home' not 'Away!'

I know what you mean, Im not expecting it to be some magical place. Im trying to look at it as a adventure for a few years and then who knows

Think 1 of my biggest expectations was that the work environment was going to be a lot more relaxed in Oz. This came as a big shock as I worked a minimum 10 extra hours a week than I would have in UK. This coupled with the dark evenings in QLD meant you didnt get to enjoy all the sunshine you are expected to when you move to Oz

Think 1 of my biggest expectations was that the work environment was going to be a lot more relaxed in Oz. This came as a big shock as I worked a minimum 10 extra hours a week than I would have in UK. This coupled with the dark evenings in QLD meant you didnt get to enjoy all the sunshine you are expected to when you move to Oz

How many hours do you have to work? ( thats if u dont mind me asking)

we arent expecting it to be any different with work hours during the week or maybe even work a saturday but we're expecting to be able to do things at the weekend in the sun

Guest guest17301

we arent expecting it to be any different with work hours during the week or maybe even work a saturday but we're expecting to be able to do things at the weekend in the sun

and that you will Stacey. I think some people need more hope and optimism in their lives. Im all for realism but actually some people DO manage to find a better life here...yes really! I think if you read a lot into some posts on here you'd talk yourself out of liking it before you got here

My 1st job I had to work up to 72 hrs week Mon-Sat, thats not including travel. Some days had to leave house at 5am and not return to 7pm.

2nd job was 55-60 hours week, Mon-Fri (every 2nd Sat).

All depends what type of work you do regarding hours you ill work. I know during my 1st job I was really interested in anything other than rest after work

Dave works a lot of hours in the construction trade but not as many during the winter, he gets home at 6pm at the moment but in summer its 8pm, im hoping to just work part time if he can make enough money but if not then it'll be full time but probably just in a shop or somewhere like that. I dont have a skilled job like a nurse etc. The one thing for us is that the money seems to be a lot better for dave so might not have to work as many hours. Just have to see what they say at the job interview

Dave works a lot of hours in the construction trade but not as many during the winter, he gets home at 6pm at the moment but in summer its 8pm, im hoping to just work part time if he can make enough money but if not then it'll be full time but probably just in a shop or somewhere like that. I dont have a skilled job like a nurse etc. The one thing for us is that the money seems to be a lot better for dave so might not have to work as many hours. Just have to see what they say at the job interview

Hopefully you will get sorted.

Both my jobs were in the construction trade. My 1st job was a stop gap until I found better work, 2nd job was an improvement on hours and pay but the hours still meant I didnt get to enjoy the sunshine.

All the best

As long as we get the weekends together then we should be happy enough hopefully. Its a nightmare when you have to work those sort of hours here and still end up with not great money. Im really hoping it'll be easier for me to find work over there, its complete opposite where i live even just for finding retail work etc. not much out there

I feel a bit of a fraud responding to this thread as I haven’t lived in Aus, but I have visited a number of times over the years and thinking about it I guess we did have some pretty high expectations initially. We were so excited the first time we flew out as we had heard so much from family already living there. We couldn’t wait to check it out for ourselves.

Initial impressions were great. Perth was new and bright and clean. We really liked it and had a great holiday, but we didn’t come home with a burning desire to up sticks and move. It was odd, because nearly everyone we spoke to in WA loved living there, and they just assumed that we would want to move there too. It was like a big secret….we couldn’t quite work out what we were missing.

In the end it dawned that we actually like where we live, and value our home and lifestyle in the UK. I think having relocated a few hundred miles from where we were born and brought up we had already found a different lifestyle and one that suits us. Australia is an amazing country and we have fantastic holidays, but I'm not sure that it could ever be 'home' to us. Good job we are all different! :wub:

I feel a bit of a fraud responding to this thread as I haven’t lived in Aus, but I have visited a number of times over the years and thinking about it I guess we did have some pretty high expectations initially. We were so excited the first time we flew out as we had heard so much from family already living there. We couldn’t wait to check it out for ourselves.

Initial impressions were great. Perth was new and bright and clean. We really liked it and had a great holiday, but we didn’t come home with a burning desire to up sticks and move. It was odd, because nearly everyone we spoke to in WA loved living there, and they just assumed that we would want to move there too. It was like a big secret….we couldn’t quite work out what we were missing.

In the end it dawned that we actually like where we live, and value our home and lifestyle in the UK. I think having relocated a few hundred miles from where we were born and brought up we had already found a different lifestyle and one that suits us. Australia is an amazing country and we have fantastic holidays, but I'm not sure that it could ever be 'home' to us. Good job we are all different! :wub:

Nothing wrong with that! im glad you love your life in the UK, its definitely good that we're all different!

I have been trying to come to Oz for years as my mother is originally from Perth, I came her for a better way life for me and my family, I'm sorry to say I hate the place, Australian life is totally overrated promoted by tv shows like wanted down under. The main problem is the high cost of living, everthing is so expensive, I am doing the same job on the railway as the UK but I am worse of here and struggling to make ends meet, as for the better life I now have to work longer hours. The papers talk about rip off Britain but its more like rip off Australia. I would personally go back to the UK tomorrow!

I have been trying to come to Oz for years as my mother is originally from Perth, I came her for a better way life for me and my family, I'm sorry to say I hate the place, Australian life is totally overrated promoted by tv shows like wanted down under. The main problem is the high cost of living, everthing is so expensive, I am doing the same job on the railway as the UK but I am worse of here and struggling to make ends meet, as for the better life I now have to work longer hours. The papers talk about rip off Britain but its more like rip off Australia. I would personally go back to the UK tomorrow!

I worked 6 days a week most weeks in oz, mainly from home (lonely) and if I was away from my computer for half an hour my boss was ringing to see where I was. In sydney and melbourne every other week - the airport shuttle used to arrive at my house at 4.30am and I would be working with client until 8pm at night then staying in cheap hotel on my own. The work was also way behind here and I was more like a PA to my (male) boss. Here I am a proper consultant - travel in UK couple of times a month - all there and back in a day on train. Work is far more advanced and interesting - no-one checks on me - I am expected to manage my own projects workload and time - can pop out for lunch when I like, without anyone querying, or knock off early for a walk and a pint with my husband. He works shifts so if he is off in the week I can take time off with him and if he is working at the weekend I can work then to catch up. His work is also better - more control and autonomy, good shift pattern, lots of block days off. We just miss having the option to go to the beach, and when its grey - miss the sunshine. But we also have some great woodland and river walks here - plus good food and great pubs.

Guest ShellBee

I expected nothing when I moved to Oz as I was only intending to be here for 9 months, It's been 3 yrs now. It's been a tough old ride finding the right job, I'm a Social Worker and everything seems a little behind compared to the UK.

However, I did think that things would be a bit more chilled out in Oz BUT I was wrong. I'm a very sociable person and it's taken 3 yrs to find some good friends. I'm no way settled though and am moving back to the UK next yr!

I expected nothing when I moved to Oz as I was only intending to be here for 9 months, It's been 3 yrs now. It's been a tough old ride finding the right job, I'm a Social Worker and everything seems a little behind compared to the UK.

However, I did think that things would be a bit more chilled out in Oz BUT I was wrong. I'm a very sociable person and it's taken 3 yrs to find some good friends. I'm no way settled though and am moving back to the UK next yr!

I find workmates and my friends far more chilled out in the UK compared to Oz, but give australians their fair due though they do have a great work ethic and do earn their money unlike some of the lazy buggeres I know in the UK.