What are my options?

Guest shelleyd

Guest shelleyd

Hi all,

I just wanted to say this is a great website and the support you guys provide must be invaluable for all those making the scary decision to move to Australia or move back home.

So...I have been toying with the idea of moving to Oz for a long time now and have decided I have nothing to lose and to go for it but easier said than done as you all know! I have read through lots of posts and can't find one that specifically answers my question so I'm hoping you can help.

I am 26 years old and work in Human Resources with 6 years experience but unfortunately I didn't go to University and get the bit of paper to say I can actually do it! I have a diploma in HR and a diploma in Psychology so I am hoping this will help although I know in the real world it doesn't count for much.

It appears that I can't get a visa through the local programmes without the degree so my options are sponsorship or working holiday visa.

What are the chances of obtaining sponsorship and what is the best way to go about this? I am attending some of the expos in the UK to see what they have to offer but most of the agencies in Oz want you to be there in order to get a job!

The only alternative without sponsorship is a working holiday visa which will obviously limit me to 6 months with each employer (as well as having to do 3 months seasonal work to extend for a further year) and hope that I find something permanent. The frustration is I am good at my job, have lots of experience and could get great personal references of my contribution to all the companies I work at, but again, this doesn't mean much in the visa world. :goofy:

If the worst comes to the worst I will have to do the two year visa and then come home, I would be grateful for the two year experience but I don't want to have to come home unless I want to.

Any advice of what is best would be great. :cool:

I am not looking to move until Dec 2012 at the earliest but I want to make sure I am prepared.

Thanks again and hopefully if I manage to make the move I will be able to help out others in my situation in 18 months.