Has anyone used a relocation agent in Sydney?

Kathie

Hello all, after reading some of the problems people are experiencing renting a home in Sydney I am wondering if a relocation company would be helpful? Has anyone any experience or recommendations, and how expensive would it be? My husband is in a serviced apartment at present - he has 15 days remaining in it, and has not viewed any properties as yet. We are looking at the domain website, but with him starting his new job and me not arriving until mid January it's not looking as easy as I had expected, thinking that it would be like renting in the UK. Any suggestions welcomed! Thanks x

Yes, we did. We were moving over with two very young children, hubby had to start work almost straight away, and we didn't want the bother of moving in to a holiday place and then in to a permanent home after spending weeks looking around. The relocation agent sorted out suitable areas for us to choose from given where hubby was working, and then she arranged appointments and went to view houses for us, took loads of photos for us and so on. When we picked one out she negotiated on the rent (got a reduction and pool cleaning/upkeep thrown in, arranged furniture hire and met us at the house on the day after we arrived with a big basket of essentials such as bin bags, tea bags and toilet paper. She did us a guide to the area too, with doctors details, where to shop and so on. We arranged everything whilst we were still in the UK.

It was expensive, I think we paid about 1000GBP, but in my opinion it was far cheaper than moving in to holiday accommodation for a month, for which we would have been paying over the odds, and doing all of that looking around ourselves. We used these people http://www.eliteexecutiveservices.com.au/index.html.

• 1 month later...
Guest shusselmann

Hi,

What area are you looking at in Sydney? We didn't use a relocation agent but can see the benefits, I can personally recommend Northern Beaches Know-How and know that they provide a rental property search service. In case you need it, we spent six weeks in a furnished holiday rental that we got through http://www.rent-a-home.com.au/ ;from there we found a long-term rental.

Good luck with your plan.

We used one but work paid for it. Even if they hadn't I probably would have done, when we came out on a reccie in June we had their services and they were a massive help. Taking a brief from us as to what we wanted and identifying the suburbs they thought matched that was a help, introductions to schools that would have taken ages for us to organise was great, lining up suitable houses and ferrying us around without us having to go through all that palaver, helping us out with rental furniture, arranging utility connections, sorting out references for houses they were excellent in every respect.

If it weren't for them we wouldn't have got the house we wanted (and are now living in), because someone else put an application in before us. We probably would have given up and carried on looking, or maybe thought we'd have to offer more, they used the contacts in the agency to find out what the owner was most likely to value and we managed to get the house without offering more money, just by offering to take it on 2 weeks before the other party.

I think the service cost the company about $2K all up. I'd have been more than happy to pay for that given what we received