Johndoe

Solar power

We had a 3kW system installed back in June. We have, as of yesterday at lunch time, produced 1605kWh and have exported 873 of those to the grid. I am pleased with its performance, it had produced 12kWh in 6 hours of sunshine to 12pm yesterday, so I would imagine that at the end of the day it would have produced double that (I didn't check), and would imagine that it will have cut our electricity bill considerably. Unfortunately I am unable to tell you that for sure, because the electricity company won't provide us with a bill at the moment.

Definitely worth shopping around with respect to installers. We didn't go for the cheapest, but went for the company with the best reviews on an independent site. We took the view that they were installing something on the roof of our house, so we wanted it to be done well.

The way I see it, and correct me anyone if my figures are wrong.............a north facing 5kw system can expect to generate an average of 25kw daily. Average leccie price peak and off peak combined is about 20c a kw so I'll generate $5 daily equivalent to $1820 annually. In that secenario and averaging quotes for a 5kw system @ $10000, it would take me 5.5 yrs to get my money back..................I could be dead in 3............come to think of it, I could be dead tomorrow :goofy: I might just spend the 10k on "living for today"

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

We have a 3kw system and are very happy with it. We now organise how we use our power in the house and sell as much to the grid as we can.

Our friends have a 5kw system but they have a large pool so they are hoping to get their bills down having the solar energy, its a self cleaning top of the range job pool so not cheap to run.

We got the same installers as another friend who has a smaller system than us and so did our friends with the large system and we could not fault them.

Because we already had a smart meter we got onto the grid straight away.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

We were lucky enough not to have to pay for ours, someone else did, so there is nothing for us to pay back.

The way I look at it is that electricity prices are increasing all of the time. At the moment, during the peak tariff hours (2pm until 8pm), we pay 40c per kWh for electricity. I am at home during the day (I work from home), so if we can use the time during the day when we are generating and therefore not paying for that electricity to run things like the pool pump, washing machine etc, then the only bit of electricity we are paying for is during the off peak times when we are not generating. And if I can keep electricity use to a minimum during those times (by not needing to run the pool pump/washing machine) then I will save. The fact that we are exporting approximately half of the energy that we produce, means that we are saving the cost of half of the electricity used during the day by generating it(if that makes sense) plus exporting some to generate income also. It doesn't really matter how much income comes in from the feed in tariff, but how much you save on your bills by producing your own power in the long term when the bills start to go up.

Good post, I was thinking of a plot of land and a house one day and wondering about doing something like this . I suppose if you had a rheem for the hot water as well then over a few years would all pay for itself. Any maintence required or just plug and play after installation? Thanks

The way I see it, and correct me anyone if my figures are wrong.............a north facing 5kw system can expect to generate an average of 25kw daily. Average leccie price peak and off peak combined is about 20c a kw so I'll generate $5 daily equivalent to $1820 annually. In that secenario and averaging quotes for a 5kw system @ $10000, it would take me 5.5 yrs to get my money back..................I could be dead in 3............come to think of it, I could be dead tomorrow :goofy: I might just spend the 10k on "living for today"
Or ya might live to be 100,and kick yourself every day for Donkeys years that you never went for it while you had a chance!Innit.:wink:

Or ya might live to be 100,and kick yourself every day for Donkeys years that you never went for it while you had a chance!Innit.:wink:

If I did I'd still only be saving 5 bucks a day.................a kilo of shlte sausages....................big deal..............innit.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

We did not do it to sell power although its good that we can as it helps with the bills. We did it because we feel its the way the world has to go. Enough people have taken it up since the gov gave the incentive to close one polluting power station. This is a great achievement.

In my view houses in Australia should all have solar power when built together with water tanks.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

You get what you pay for with a solar system; a cheap system will lose an entire panel's generating power if some detritus falls on it and you have to get up there and clean it; a more costly system will only lose the cell affected. Unless you're home when the system is generating it's not going to do too much for you so if you want the benefit yourself you're better off getting one that comes with a battery system.

And watch the companies who subsidise your panel - if you read the small print they can take the rebate for putting power back into the grid in lieu of up-front payment. They had a Sunday Night investigation (or one of those programs) a while back on it.

insta #tabradders
Fine art landscape and portrait photography.  And occasionally fannying around with ultra-macro when I should be working.

Loads of people having them in the UK and the feed back is that they are fantastic and well worth the money so in 0z I thought they would really have taken off.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

in the uk, the government love to sell off the infrastructure of the country.

problem is with the feed in tariff; the company who bill you are also the people who have to pay you 10x the going rate for all the electricity you produce.

their solution...... solar panels. push the generation method that produces as little electricity as possible. it makes perfect business sense. still put everyone elses bill up though, blame it on the panels!

there is a new feed in tariff type scheme being launched in the uk in march, for a feed in type payment for solar heat panels to give you hot water.

this is massivly more sensible for the home owner. the same subsidies but it takes care of the most fuel hungry thing a house needs... hot water.

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/meeting_energy/renewable_ener/incentive/incentive.aspx

as for australia, i hope they do a similar thing, and if not, ill probably still bung some on the roof, i mean, prices can only go one way!

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

in the uk, the government love to sell off the infrastructure of the country.

problem is with the feed in tariff; the company who bill you are also the people who have to pay you 10x the going rate for all the electricity you produce.

their solution...... solar panels. push the generation method that produces as little electricity as possible. it makes perfect business sense. still put everyone elses bill up though, blame it on the panels!

there is a new feed in tariff type scheme being launched in the uk in march, for a feed in type payment for solar heat panels to give you hot water.

this is massivly more sensible for the home owner. the same subsidies but it takes care of the most fuel hungry thing a house needs... hot water.

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/meeting_energy/renewable_ener/incentive/incentive.aspx

as for australia, i hope they do a similar thing, and if not, ill probably still bung some on the roof, i mean, prices can only go one way!

What do you do in your house ???

We are a family of 5 and hot water is the least energy hungry thing, it's the electrics that push our bills - I'll be looking for PV and wet panels in Oz !

:cool:

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

too long in the shower i guess!

the rib and I, 2 teenagers. it dont take long to add up lol.

fareham, i was only there yesterday!

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.