olly

Mum dies from snake bite - is everyone aware of what to do?

They were reminding people what to do in case of snake bite on TV today, after that poor woman in Qld was killed this week. I was out walking in the bush today and spoke to my daughter who was with me about it, and it turns out she knew how to do the first aid (given that you know about it that is). Without panicking, it's worth knowing about I think.

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

Guest guest37336
They were reminding people what to do in case of snake bite on TV today, after that poor woman in Qld was killed this week. I was out walking in the bush today and spoke to my daughter who was with me about it, and it turns out she knew how to do the first aid (given that you know about it that is). Without panicking, it's worth knowing about I think.

Very good point Olly.:notworthy:

Though very rare always good to keep abreast of what to do.:idea:

And things have changed only recently concerning 'pressure' bandages and the like, so never a bad idea to check it out.

I did a course over here recently under 'The Dangerous Animals Act', as I was seriously considering buying a venomous snake.:shocked:

But then I got all soft and decided it wasn't fair on the snake, still fascinate me though.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

Guest sh7t man no way

brown snakes are everywhere in queensland olly--they got so use 2 humans,they are everywhere now--its only because humans as usual have taken over there habitat--deaths by snake bites are very rare in oz--but if you do a first aid course when in oz this will ease you worrys--theres heaps in oz that will kill or hurt you--but the golden rules is dont bother it,and it wont bother you--the sea can be just as bad as the land

Guest guest37336
Olly can you remember what those bandages with the rectangles that turn into squares were called,or where to buy them ??

Only from the course over here Janine I know a lot of the 'crepe' bandages have been superseded by some called, 'Forced Elastic Cotton Bandages'.

Apparently these maintain a better pressure for the period of bandaging, the crepe ones lost their ability to sustain pressure over a period of time, or until hospital treatment was performed apparently.

I don't know about Australia Janine, but the course over here dealt with many snake bites and included many OZ species as well, so maybe it is the case over there.:unsure:

Cheers Tony.

This is qite a good guide in what to do if you or someone your with is bitten..

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/a-guide-to-what-to-do-about-snake-bite/story-e6freoof-1226185226111

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest guest37336
This is qite a good guide in what to do if you or someone your with is bitten..

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/a-guide-to-what-to-do-about-snake-bite/story-e6freoof-1226185226111

Cal x

Good stuff Cal. Tourniquets are now a thing of the past as this often exsasipated the injury.

But at a 'guess' I would many still think this is the way to go after watching Hollywood films.:no:

Prevention is my game. That's why I bought myself some new camping atire from Aussie Disposals.

excal.jpg

Seriously though, I was thinking about this the other day. What if I was in the bush with my girlfriend and she was bitten. I wouldn't have a scooby what do do.

Guest Guest16631

........there is an app you can get on iphones

Guest guest37336
........there is an app you can get on iphones

Many uses the old iphone Tink.

I have that app.:yes:

Problem is after, 'Dial 1 For Brown Snake', Dial 2 for Tiger Snake', Dial 3 for Taipan', and soooooo on you are either dead, or worse the 'I Did It My Way' played over and again for the 'muzac' is your funeral song.:no:

Guest Guest16631

.........only know as the son has one..........but must admit that they do have a place in today's world............lots of information on them............I still have a bakealite dial home phone.....:goofy:

Makes me realise how foolish I was to try and catch one with a dustpan and a bucket . I caught a green snake that way and thought it was easy . Now I know why the lady of the house emptied a kettle of boiling water over it.

Guest guest37336
Makes me realise how foolish I was to try and catch one with a dustpan and a bucket . I caught a green snake that way and thought it was easy . Now I know why the lady of the house emptied a kettle of boiling water over it.

Fortunately Micky I have only ever killed one snake and that was when I was on the verge crew with the council.

The little bugger (Tiger) would not back down when we were building fire breaks, no matter the ushering it got one hell of an attitude and kept coming.:cry:

I was surprised how many pythons are around .under houses , in lofts . Who'd be a plumber in QLD!

Guest guest37336

Watched a programme the other night about snake bite in India.

'Official' figures show that approximately 400,000 people are bitten per year, and some 22,000 deaths.

The 'real' figures are closer to 1.5 million bitten and 100,000 die.:shocked:

Sort of puts Australian snake bite into context, though terrible when it happens, the 'real' dangers are somewhat insignificant on a world wide basis.

Cheers Tony.

What's the basics on what to do,like with no phone,no bandages and in the middle of nowhere?I often wonder about this.Someone Gi':confused:s a clue!

Guest guest37336
What's the basics on what to do,like with no phone,no bandages and in the middle of nowhere?I often wonder about this.Someone Gi':confused:s a clue!

Stating the bloody stupid here Rock.

But if no medical kit around, remain CALM. Blood pressure, anxiety and stress ALL have dangerous implications within the first few minutes/hours/.

The classic case was a fella in South Africa who was bitten by a Black Mamba, one of the MOST venomous snakes in the world.

He remained calm, 'walked' back to his jeep, drove three hours to the hospital and made it it.

Trouble is that the staff at the hospital DIDN'T believe he was bitten by a Mamba some three hours before as they couldn't figure out how he did what he did, they refused to give him the anti venom until tests were done (as the wrong anti venom can kill)

He was there for seven hours in a comatose state but able to HEAR everything that was going on but unable to react.

Eventually all OK, but just goes to show the basics are as important as hospital treatment.

Cheers Tony.

You need to take the snake to the hospital with you the docs know which anti venom to use , simple !

Watched a programme the other night about snake bite in India.

'Official' figures show that approximately 400,000 people are bitten per year, and some 22,000 deaths.

The 'real' figures are closer to 1.5 million bitten and 100,000 die.:shocked:

Sort of puts Australian snake bite into context, though terrible when it happens, the 'real' dangers are somewhat insignificant on a world wide basis.

Cheers Tony.

i don't think that the availability of anti venom is that great in india

• Leave snakes alone.

• Do not attempt to catch or handle snakes.

• Wear stout shoes and adequate clothing, including long trousers, in 'snake country'. Do not wear sandals or thongs.

• Never put hands in hollow logs or thick grass or under woodpiles, building material etc without prior inspection.

• When stepping over logs, carefully inspect the ground on the other side.

• Keep barns and sheds free of mice and rats as they may attract snakes.

• Keep grass well cut - particularly in playgrounds, around houses etc.

• Take care around houses, barns etc on warm nights, as snakes may be active at this time. Use a torch and wear adequate footwear.

• Educate children in the above precautions.

• Do not handle snakes whilst intoxicated.

• Do not rely on visual identification of snakes as non-venomous, as appearances and coloration may vary considerably within species.

• we used to be taught this at school

Guest Guest16631

.........the link on calNgary's post is very informative......Any material can be used as a bandage......rip up your shirt.......!

Guest guest37336
i don't think that the availability of anti venom is that great in india

• Leave snakes alone.

• Do not attempt to catch or handle snakes.

• Wear stout shoes and adequate clothing, including long trousers, in 'snake country'. Do not wear sandals or thongs.

• Never put hands in hollow logs or thick grass or under woodpiles, building material etc without prior inspection.

• When stepping over logs, carefully inspect the ground on the other side.

• Keep barns and sheds free of mice and rats as they may attract snakes.

• Keep grass well cut - particularly in playgrounds, around houses etc.

• Take care around houses, barns etc on warm nights, as snakes may be active at this time. Use a torch and wear adequate footwear.

• Educate children in the above precautions.

• Do not handle snakes whilst intoxicated.

• Do not rely on visual identification of snakes as non-venomous, as appearances and coloration may vary considerably within species.

• we used to be taught this at school

True mate.

And to an extent they rely on 'traditional' remedies, even if anti venom is available.

Glass, razor blades, pins, all types of implements followed by herbal cures are still the 'norm in many regions of India.

Cheers Tony.

You need to take the snake to the hospital with you the docs know which anti venom to use , simple !
Now why didn't i think of that!:huh:

Guest guest37336
Now why didn't i think of that!:huh:

It's surprising how many people RUN A MILE mate when they have been bitten and forget to 'collect' the snake.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

But yeah, if possible take the snake with you. Seems strange, but 'could' save your life Rock.:yes:

Very often a 'description' of the snake alone can be dangerous as many of the SAME species have different markings as well, colouration varies between individual snakes and even from state to state mate.

Guest guest37336
It's surprising how many people RUN A MILE mate when they have been bitten and forget to 'collect' the snake.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

But yeah, if possible take the snake with you. Seems strange, but 'could' save your life Rock.:yes:

Very often a 'description' of the snake alone can be dangerous as many of the SAME species have different markings as well, colouration varies between individual snakes and even from state to state mate.

Thank God the same procedure isn't necessary for Shark bites.:biglaugh::biglaugh::no: