Bringing a Porsche Boxster from UK

richselina

Hi,

I'd really appreciate some guidance on whether or not to import my Porsche Boxster with me when I move to Australia next year. I have all the import costs calculated, but am struggling to find out what modifications would be needed to the car to bring it up to the Australian standards and also what impact it would have on the future value of the car if it was an import when I come to sell it. I've seen similar cars advertised at Porsche dealers in Sydney at about $100K which means it makes sense to import it, but if then the car is only worth for example 70% as it's an import, then it's not worthwhile.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard

I can't answer the specifics of your question but I do know that imported cars are worth less than local ones. Often this is because the specs of model were not as high as the same cars sold in Australia. Might be different for a porsche. OH used to work in a luxury car dealer and the most common imports were Jaguars. He once had an import with cloth seats and wind-up rear windows.

I would suggest getting in contact with the service manager at the porsche dealer in Sydney for questions on modifications.

I would research very carefully the costs involved in bringing your car over.

It falls into the luxury car tax category straight away, and it will always be (as you have already noted) a grey import.

Insurance tends to be more expensive, servicing "might" be more expensive if its not a standard Oz issue Porche, and you will probably have compliance issues on arrival. The papertrail & costs involved make it often not worthwhile in the long run.

That said, you will probably get very little second hand in the Uk, so it's definitely worth looking into.

maybe drop ironchef a Pm. He is specialized in car imports, so might be a good place to start.