Arrived in Brisbane! Yay!

paisleylass

thats great, thanks, I have found that website. I need somewhere for 4 though, but agree would be nicer than a high rise. Just waiting for medicals to be passed and then can get on with booking flights, accomodation etc.... need to be there jan for school starting and job!

keep the posts coming, lots of great info, thanks.

The bigger cottage next to this is definitely big enough for 4, there are 2 couples and a baby plus a big doggy staying there just now :o) there's a big garden and I think the bigger place has its own spa on the deck! It's really exciting getting everything booked and having all the dates set in stone, and January isn't far off at all. Good luck with the medicals!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not done an update for a few days, I've been feeling a wee bit low since hubby started work and I became 'housewife' temporarily (hopefully). I fully expect - and need - not to be working anyway until we've moved house, but still, every day is like Sunday just now! (that song was on in the appliance store when I was in on Monday, been in my head ever since!!)

Hubby's enjoying his job so far anyway, he got his own office and gets use of a ute already. Not sole use, but he'll be able to use it for travel to the office and even for moving our junk next week :o)

We've bought tons of stuff already for our new place - a bed is being delivered next Thursday so am going to the house then and get all the other deliveries and connections done that day if possible so we can get moved in. The bed is from Fantastic Furniture, we got a queen pillowtop mattress which is fairly comfy - will keep us going til our lovely Ikea one turns up anyway! Once I've got the keys on Tuesday I plan to measure up for sofas, then head back to FF and order one or two of the recliners. They may not be super high quality but I thought they were really comfy for the money and will be more than fine for now. The living room is funny, has 3 doors off it, so corner sofas won't fit.

Also need to order a fridge and washing machine, and get electricity/gas and broadband sorted. Thank heavens our new place has gas hobs, I miss them!

What else have we bought? Ooh, bedding, towels, pans, melamine plates and cutlery (well we do mainly eat outside), sandwich press, iron... our tiny cottage is pretty cramped just now! Harris Scarfe has been great for bargains, I got a set of awesome pans there yesterday for $69. I know you can get more pans for less money at K Mart etc but they're pretty rubbish.

I dreamt last night that we'd moved back to the UK, and that it was all cold and dark and the tropical birdsong had been swapped back to sparrow chirps and magpie cackles. Weird. Waking up was a relief, hearing that musical sound outside and realising we were still here.

Got the keys to our long term rental today, hurray! I went in and checked the electricity and gas - both connected :o) Then checked for damage not in the condition report - some of the lower panes of the sash windows were cracked so I noted them, and the polished floors were scratched and scuffed badly in the bedroom so that's all noted. Ace. Measured up for a sofa and was pleased to see the 3 seater we had our eyes on will fit, so afterwards nipped to Aspley to get that ordered. Checked alll the aircons work - yep. Also appears that the new fridge freezer will go nicely in its place, in fact I'm glad we didn't go for a side by side in the end (hubby complained that large pizas wouldn't fit the freezer!!) - would have been too wide. I'd forgotten, or just didn't notice, how much storage space there is - there's loads! Huge pantry in the kitchen and 2 ceiling height cupboards in the hall. Plenty of outdoor lighting, and 2 sockets on the patio. The garage is fantastic - more sockets and tons of space for stuff like a chest freezer if we need one, empty boxes etc, besides hubby's ute!

The garden is better than I remembered, and in fact features 2 massive bird of paradise plants I had failed to notice - probably because the flowers had died and need cutting down. As soon as I can I'm gonna get pruning the plants and hope for regrowth, I love birds of paradise! Hope it's not too late in the year.

Move-in is Thursday when the bed, fridge, washing machine and (hopefully) sofa get delivered. In the meantime we are going to heft some of the junk we've bought since arriving, which is piled up both inside our short term rental and out on the deck. We're hoping the landlady gets someone else in for the last week of our booking so we can get some dosh back!

Had our first bbq on Sunday :o) We went to Bunnings and saw a decent kettle type one but decided to hold out til we'd moved, and for short term use bought a 'big red bucket' one (only $16) as they were out of disposables. Well, it was really good and served us well, there was easily enough space for food for 2! No rush to get the big kettle bbq heheh.

No work for me yet. Bit bored now. I do need time for the move this week, but next week will start looking properly for temp work if my contact doesn't have anything going!

Wow, 3 weeks since we arrived! Seems longer as we've done so much and maybe cos I'm a bit bored not working ;0)

Hubby's enjoying his work, it's a vast improvement on conditions in Glasgow, colleagues and boss are friendly and he's getting out and about a bit. He'll be working away a lot soon so hope I'll be kept busy working myself! I may try and get some casual work next week.

We moved into our rental yesterday and so far so great. Bed, sofa, washer and fridge all turned up. I put the bed together and it's nice and comfy enough until our uk bed turns up, when new bed becomes the spare! Just need broadband connected now. We aren't bothering with telly until ours arrives from the uk. Am coping with my iphone and can always pop to Chermside library for proper internets if need be til TPG connects us.

It's ace having all new stuff, fridge is luxurious compared to the crap built-in we had in Paisley! Simple things like a twisty ice maker and huge light and bottle pockets that fit 2l bottles without cracking heheh. Accidentally got soapy water on laundry floor by using too much detergent but it was a handy way of getting the floor clean as we enter the house through this room and don't have a doormat yet - so much more to buy!

Can't wait to hit Bunnings again for plants, my alstromeria is doing well and I'm gonna get a lime tree as a tree is cheaper than a kilo of limes! (just under $30 last I saw, eat your heart out bananas haha!)

Just thought i would say hi - enjoying your posts - i moved here 2 weeks ago arrived 11/11/11 - living in wooloowin/Lutwyche - near the good guys shop

am loving it just bought us a car - taking delivery of it tomorrow - so can get around a bit more and to the all important job interview;s - have been job hunting hard but not getting very far yet - have on on tuesday .

Regards

Andy

Just thought i would say hi - enjoying your posts - i moved here 2 weeks ago arrived 11/11/11 - living in wooloowin/Lutwyche - near the good guys shop

am loving it just bought us a car - taking delivery of it tomorrow - so can get around a bit more and to the all important job interview;s - have been job hunting hard but not getting very far yet - have on on tuesday .

Regards

Andy

It's scary thinking that in another 3 weeks we'll be in Brissie too... doesn't feel like any time at all that I was following your thread with you just having arrived. Aaargh! Can't wait!

Glad you guys are settling in. :o)

Aaargh, after posting this realised that it's 2 weeks today until we fly.. I thought I had another week!! :arghh::twitcy:

I'm in Chermside library with my laptop, TPG aren't connecting us to t'internet til next Tuesday!! Grr! I wanted to send my CV to Russo Recruitment, which is impossible on the iPhone, so now that's done I can chill.

Joob joobs haha, the last few weeks go sooo quickly, no wonder you got confused. Hope you feel as relaxed as I did when you board that plane! I've had a few stressy moments since arriving, but nothing to rival the madness of the last few months in the UK, I had constant indigestion, chest pains, the lot - all gone now. Oh, it's one month today since we left!

Andy, best of luck with your job hunt (I feel your pain), and you're not that far from us! I've been to Lutwyche for shopping a few times, I like the Coles better than the Chermside one and First Choice is my favourite offy! The guy in the 7-eleven is really nice too :oD

Stacey, I can believe that about the weather, it was early Dec last year the awful snow started wasn't it? I remember walking home from work (4 miles, took an hour in the deep snow without wellies!) - some were stuck in traffic for hours. Shudder. I hate being hot and sweaty but I hate slipping on ice even more. Just dreading the humidity, it's hot enough already! hehe.

Michelle thanks, I hope you are enjoying your new home too! I do like Chermside, we are only a few mins walk from the library and a few more to Westfield, but the street is lovely and quiet - apart from next door's home cinema last night hahaha, couldn't hear it inside though :o)

Righhty I need to borrow some books, get fly killer and mozzie repellent then go for a nice sweaty walk home!

Hi paisleylass, been enjoying your updates as we have spent a bit of time in this area of Brisbane (Aspley, Chermside). We have friends living there and from what we gather it is a good suburb to be in. Spent some time living near Chermside while on some training and enjoyed it. We still haven't made our move to Auss but once things get moving, then if Brisbane is the destination we will look at the same area's. Good luck in the job hunting, sure something will be offered soon. On one of my trips to Auss I spoke to a friend of a friend, who said he was always keen n employing people who had moved/emmigrated as it showed determination and a good attitude, and generaly a desire to succeed !!

Enjoy...

Joob joobs haha, the last few weeks go sooo quickly, no wonder you got confused. Hope you feel as relaxed as I did when you board that plane! I've had a few stressy moments since arriving, but nothing to rival the madness of the last few months in the UK, I had constant indigestion, chest pains, the lot - all gone now. Oh, it's one month today since we left!

Definitely way too fast! Can't wait to chill out on the plane. :SLEEP:

Your first month there has really flown in, thanks for all your updates. Keep them up please!

Yeah this time last year we had awful snow, not sure if it was as bad in glasgow but was horrible here. no snow yet except sleety hail and we have a weather warning for rain tomorrow, possible flooding! im not a big fan of humidity and being sweaty but i keep thinking of how good it would be to wait on a bus without feeling like my fingers were going to fall off lol, hate the ice too, i always fall on my bum!

Hope you have plenty pics to show us all :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a wee hile since I updated this thing. Just got broadband yesterday so it's much easier now! I was going to go out but it's raining Scottish-style out there so can't be bothered heheheh :o) Stacey, I certainly don't miss that cold fingers thing - I bought some reusable hand warmers last winter but chucked them just before moving here! Photos, hmmm - I've posted loads on Facebook and they're stored on my iphone, I may see about transferring some to my laptop and doing a little album on PIO :o)

So the 1 month mark passed a few days ago, and it was 2 months ago today I had my first day of not working when hubby and I flew to Berlin! Blimey, seems a bit longer. So I'm still not working, but am waiting to hear from agency about a promising sounding job they put me forward for - in fact I just had a courtesy call there to let me know no decision's been made yet, so don't feel quite so depondent :o) but generally each weekday is a bit of a drag and I feel guilty as hubby sets off to work in his ute. I've also looked at jobs on seek but there never seem to be any suitable ones, bah.

I kept busy yesterday by visiting the botanical gardens at Mt Coot-tha, it was so beautiful. I kept stopping to sit at particularly pretty bits. I need to go back with hubby, the place is huge and I missed out a whole section! It was so easy getting there even as a non-driver - there's this big mad bus route The Great Circle that goes all round the suburbs surrounding Brisbane, takes over 3 hours in all. Good job I got the right bus as they go clockwise or anti-clockwise, or it'd have taken a lot longer to get to Mt Coot-tha!

Weekends are fun, though we seem to be still spending too much time shopping! Saturday afternoon went to the vintage shop in Lutwyche where we are quite friendly with the owner, had a couple of drinks and ended up going to a rockabilly gig on Sunday which was great fun :o) There's a possibility of having an 'orphans' Christmas to join in with which sounds ideal!

Still really enjoying the rental house, it's mainly quiet except for bird noise (of course), and a few doors down there appears to be some kind of student house (or maybe just general young bogans) where they have the odd noisy party, but not late enough to disturb sleep - I guess the closer neighbours keep them in check! We now have most things we need except what's being shippped, and we need a desk and chairs (got my eye on a big long desk at Ikea, for us to share) and a lawnmower. We didn't spend a vast amount on stuff - $899 for 3 seat sofa, $797 fridge freezer, $599 washer (Bosch front loader, fab!), $800 for bed plus a few hundred on smaller bits like vacuum, bedside drawers, microwave, pans etc. We are def waiting for the shipment for telly, even with the rainy weather laptops and books are enough entertainment!

Back home there's loads to chase up - no rent has come in yet and not sure why, council owes us money (they took another council tax instalment a month after I told them we'd left!), TV licence ditto, still no idea when our shipping will arrive... got a headache thinking about it! I can't be bothered with it all as I don't want to think about that house and that town but guess it all needs doing.

Great to hear your update - it's been snowing here in Paisley, but the rain and gale force wind during the night have washed it all away!

Your post has reminded me that before we leave we will have to cancel direct debits with bank to prevent companies taking payment's they aren't owed. That said I have never trusted Renfrewshire Council and don't have a direct debit for council tax - I got a Sheriff's Officer letter last month (again) for a property I moved from 6 years ago! After a visit to their office (again), got a phone call to say can't understand why as I don't owe anything!

Hope you get things sorted out - especially with rent.

Thanks for the update, take care x

I've lost all feeling of my fingers and toes! your missing out on some horrible weather you lucky woman lol. I really enjoy your updates, im sure you will find work soon, sounds promising with the agent.

The botanical gardens sound lovely! Shame about the noise from party but at least its not too bad, maybe they'll invite you in at the weekend lol kidding.

Keep updating and i hope the rain goes away for you soon!

Time for another update, as we are about to hit the 6 week mark!

Nicely settled in our house now, we have just about everything we need except all the furniture we're awaiting from the UK! Which reminds me again to chase the removals company, I have no idea when it's getting here! So it's good that we pretty much have no more major purchases to make. Food shopping bills are settling around the $100 a week mark with a couple of extra minor shops a week, so say $120. That said we've stocked up on a crazy amount of Pepsi as it's been on offer in Woolies so won't have to buy that again for a while. Anyway, we eat pretty well on that :o)

Last weekend we bought a Coopers home brewing kit which is great fun, we should be bottling up this weekend and it'll be ready just after New Year, though we could be tempted to crack open a 'premature' bottle for Hogmanay ;o)

Noisy neighbours seem to have disappeared - bet they are students back home for Christmas! Then another house started playing music dead loud, all day there's pan pipe music, then it turns to opera, and later on we get blues. But we can't hear it inside, I just had trouble hearing Holby when I watched it on my laptop outside heheh!

I finally received a statement that explained why we hadn't received anything after the rent came in - VAT! Oh dear, I hadn't factored that in to the charges, so that meant we owed the agency money. Then even worse - the washing machine broke down. It was broken beyond repair and a new one has been fitted, and will cost more than the rent coming in. This is turning into a proper disaster, we are just losing money in the UK :o( - hopefully next year will see at least part of our mortgage repayments being offset!

And I am still not working, which is particularly inconvenient as my earnings could be sent back to the UK to help pay the mortgage, and we'd do OK with that because of the exchange rate. There is very little on Seek that suits me - I search analyst jobs in Brisbane, and virtually all the results are for business or IT analyst, neither of which I know anything about! But last night *my* kind of job came up, so I whizzed off my CV and got a call this morning - am being considered for a 3 month contract with the Government. But I'm not holding my breath as there's been no word about the other job mentioned in my last post.

More positively, I finally got my butt in gear to register with a GP as my thyroxine supplies are running low. I'd spotted a surgery at Centro Toombul that bulk bills, so I rang today and am registering this afternoon and should walk away prescription in hand - wow, that's fast! I have a hospital letter and current labelled tablet package to prove that yes, I do take a high dose of thyroxine! Then I'll have the joy of finding out just how much this stuff is actually going to cost, as I think they prescribe month to month, whereas in the UK I always got 3 months worth and was exempt from paying anyway - ah well!

It's hubby's first night away with work tonight, he flies to Gladstone later and gets back tomorrow night. I don't mind, I'm used to his work taking him all over the place, but I just know a huge spider will make its first appearance when I'm alone nooooooooo haha!

Sioban, Renfrewshire council are shocking. Last time we moved, they asked for proof that the house we were still in the process of selling was empty. Even though I said, well we've moved all our stuff to the new place where we're now paying the bill, he didn't believe me and wanted photos to prove it was empty and said being double charged is one of the pitfalls of being a homeowner!

• 10 months later...

Wow - almost a year since we left Paisley and I just re-read this thread - it's great, like a wee diary! I'll do a proper update when we reach 1 year but so much has changed! I'm soon to start my third job (having been jobless for the first 3 months have been employed in temp/contract roles ever since), we have a little kitty (but might not be able to keep him due to hubby allergy :cry:), are hopefully about to get a new UK mortgage that will allow us to rent the house long term, been on a USA holiday where we made great pals with folk from Melbourne who we'll visit next month, and will be spending Christmas in Hawaii which I mentioned I was obsessed with in my first post in this thread - yay!!

• 5 months later...