Visa 801 information..

Guest Valley12

Guest Valley12

Hi,

I am back in the UK after 5 years working in OZ, i had a Sub Class Visa 801. Does this visa mean i am not entilted to reclaim my superannuation that i gained whilst working there..?

I am getting conflicting messages...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Barry70

Hi Valley 12,

I'm unsure of the correct answer so I have contacted the Australian Immigration and Citizenship Department and am awaiting their reply. I have assisted a number of 457 visa holders to reclaim their superannuation after they had returned home but as yet have no experience yet with 801 visa holders. The process will be very similar. As soon as I receive a definite answer I will let you know.

One negative aspect of receiving your super is that you only receive 65% of the total contributions paid by your employer(s). The other 35% is taken as tax. Also do you know which superannuation fund(s) have the funds you are hoping to recover? I can assist to find out this information if required.

As soon as I hear from the Immigration Department I will advise you of their answer.

Guest Barry70

Hi again Valley 12,

I've received a reply back from the Australian Immigration Department. In their reply they state as follows:

As you hold a valid Permanent Residence Class Visa you are currently not eligible for a Confirmation of Immigration Status Certification for the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment. You may however, apply for the Confirmation of Immigration Status once your permanent visa ceases.

If you would like further information on the DASP scheme or eligibility requirements please refer to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website at www.ato.gov.au/departaustralia

Alternatively you may send an email enquiry to the ATO Helpdesk at DASPmail@ato.gov.au or contact the ATO by telephone +612 6216 1111 (outside Australia) or 13 10 20 (inside Australia)

So essentially what they are saying is that until you cancel your permanent visa you can't recover your super.

I have a son living in the UK. He wanted to transfer his Australian Superannuation to a UK Superannuation Fund but he can't as he is an Australian citizen.

If you would like any further assistance please feel free to contact me at setter65@gmail.com