Student Visa issues!

Guest Jo H

I am planning on travelling to Berowra, NSW for a year as of January 2012. I am travelling on a tourist visa. I am also bringing my 9 year old son with me. I am having issues getting my visa agency to forward his visa application. I have found him a place in school. The agency are saying that they need a certificate of enrollement to process his visa. Apparently, the school has to be registered with the immigration authority for him to go there. The school I have chosen and whom have offered him a place are not registered so I have been told that the agency will not forward his visa application..... Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions??? I have chosen a specific school as we already have accomodation sorted and it is in the locality.

Is he going as a tourist or on a student visa? If he is going as a student then he has to be enrolled in a school which complies with the requirements - if the school you have chosen does not comply then perhaps you need to choose another school??? The government will only issue visas for study at particular institutions and not all schools are prepared to take international students or are registered to do so. Looks like that area is a bit short on possible primary school options http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/schools/locator/sv/?section=showRegion&region=531&regionname=Northern%20Sydney

If he is going with you on a tourist visa then he can only be enrolled for a short period (12 weeks?) IIRC and will pay international fee rates

Thank you for your reply. I am currently looking for an alternative school, but struggling!! He will be on a student visa as I want him in school for the year. Thanks again.