and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Misssweetkay

Arriving in Darwin on the 1st of dec with Toddler

Guest Misssweetkay

Hi,

My partner and I are moving to Darwin on the 1st dec from Cambridge UK and will be bring our 2 year old little boy. I was wondering if anyone could advised me about toddler groups/ toddler activities.

Many Thanks

Kaylee

Hi Kaylee.

There are heaps of activities in Darwin for families and kids, most free! What suburb will you be in? We are in Palmerston and they have songs and activities at the library, a bus that goes around the parks in the dry season with toys, songs and activities (in the salvo buiding in the wet now), and lots of other individual toddler playgroups. Good beginnings ones are particularly good as they help prepare them for the transition to school. The library had the list of all the groups in my area so that may be the best place to start. Our local gym also runs a toddler gym on Fridays for $5 a session, i know there is one in the city somewhere too.

Other great things for the kids are Leanyer recreation park, a free pool, slides, wet play area and park with bbqs. Palmerston is getting a new free one opening in January too. Darwin wave pool is nice £5 entry for adults. $3.50 or something for kids. Finally check out Darwin toy libabry if you are waiting for your stuff to come over. If you go on their website theirs a voucher for cheap membership and then they have tonnes of great toys to borrow including bikes, cars, slides etc.

I hope this all helps, just what I have learnt over the past 2 months! There are a few mums on here with kids same age as yours so I'm sure they will have more to add. Happy travels, enjoy wearing a jumper for the next few weeks then throw them away! It's pretty toastie here!! :wink:

Guest Misssweetkay

Thanks for your response, we think we will be in the leanyer area, i will defo use th water park in the dry season. Is there any website that you know of with useful info one.

Hiya,

We live up in the northern suburbs, Tiwi, which is just round the corner from Leanyer and just like Palmerston there is loads to do with kids up here. Both cities tend to mimic each other with activities and groups so it doesnt matter where you live. Our son is nearly 3 and absolutely loves it here so Im sure yours will too. Let us know when your settled and we can meet up. There are other mums on here too that Im sure will be more than happy to meet up too!

Darwin city council website can be useful for finding out about things going on.

Pos Skills Ass 7/2/11, TRA passed 28/3, NT SS applied 29/3, NT SS approved 31/3, 176 Visa lodged 14/4, CO 10/5, PCC's rec 18/5, meds done 27/5, VISA GRANT 6/6:biggrin:

Guest Misssweetkay

reddebz - thanks, i will have alook. My little boy is nearly 2 1/2 and i am hoping he loves darwin as much as i do. i would love to met up my little boys loves playing with other childern, so am hoping to make friends quickly.