and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jennz009

Debt owed to commonwealth aus

Guest jennz009

Just wanted to know. I have just applied for a visa and am aware of the importance to clear all debts owed to the commonwealth Aus. How can you check if you owe anything. I met with an accident before my travel offshore and i know I have a hospital bill to pay which was suppoed to be taken care of by my insurance company and hasn't. I also have a ortho bill with a clinic. How do I locate what I owe If i dont have the bills or name of the place.. WIll this affect my visa application.

Guest tullyfolk
Just wanted to know. I have just applied for a visa and am aware of the importance to clear all debts owed to the commonwealth Aus. How can you check if you owe anything. I met with an accident before my travel offshore and i know I have a hospital bill to pay which was suppoed to be taken care of by my insurance company and hasn't. I also have a ortho bill with a clinic. How do I locate what I owe If i dont have the bills or name of the place.. WIll this affect my visa application.

Hiya,

The debts you mentioned don't seem to relate to Commonwealth (Government) bills. Those refer to things like unpaid tax bills or monies directly owed to the federal government (not State governments). Medicare and private bills from the ortho clinic shouldn't fall into this category. We have unpaid education bills which didn't affect our application - and they are federal debts owed to the australian taxation office.

So I wouldn't worry - though if you have lingering doubts I'm sure your case officer or someone at the high commission would be able to give you a definite answer on which you could fall back upon at a later date.

Cheers.

Guest jennz009

Hey,

Thanks heaps, also just wanted to confirm, I wnt to pay them off how do i figure that out.. I dont remember the namesof the clinic i went too.. besides.. does non payment of bills or debt not paid show up on criminal records.. coz mine is clean so far..

Guest tullyfolk
Hey,

Thanks heaps, also just wanted to confirm, I wnt to pay them off how do i figure that out.. I dont remember the namesof the clinic i went too.. besides.. does non payment of bills or debt not paid show up on criminal records.. coz mine is clean so far..

If you have a Medicare bill contact Medicare with your Medicare number (so they can access your files) and you can set up a payment scheme.

If you have a bill from a private hospital, contact the hospital directly and make your payment to them.

If you can't remember the name of the clinic you attended, I can't help you with that one, but chances are that debt has been cleared if it's been so long that you can't remember the name :biggrin:

Unpaid bills will not affect your criminal records check. Only criminal convictions are relavent to the check where you have been found guilty of an offense. The same can't be said for you credit rating, which will probably take a while to recover - but luckily that won't affect your visa application! :smile: