Sign in to follow this  
Guest stoorob

Shipping cost differences

Guest stoorob

We shipped some of our belongings from Glasgow to Melbourne earlier this year through Crown for about £550 all in. Was only about about 1.5cbm so not a lot.

Things haven't quite worked out as we had hoped and we are moving back for a really good contract in Cork, Ireland. Definitely looking to move back again in 9-12 months time, as we do like the place, just bad timing.

Anyway, back to the reason for this post.

We contacted Crown regarding shipping our belongings back to either Ireland or the original address in Glasgow. The first quote I was given was for $3500. I nearly fell off my chair when I read that quote. They revised is to a groupage shipment to their store in Dublin for collection (no delivery to a residential address) for $2200. Nearly 3 times what we paid to ship over here....

I contacted another removal company here in Australia for a quote - Grace Removals. For 2cbm they quoted $1200 all inclusive and including delivery to an address in Ireland. As our belongings are less than 2cbm the actual cost will be a little less, more in line with what I was expecting.

We were happy with the service and price from Crown when we moved down here but after the quotes I've been given from their Australian office I will definitely not be using them again when we do eventually make the move back down in a year or so.

I've spoke with someone from their office and exchanged several emails and they've been completely unwilling to accommodate our request or give a satisfactory explanation to why the cost is so much higher than to ship from the UK to here.

Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for you. Good luck in Cork though. We have just booked Crown for our Edinburgh to Melbourne move next March. So far it's been excellent service. I can't understand why they are wanting to charge you so much for the return journey.

Hope it all works out for you.

Subclass 100 visa granted 12th Sept 2011. Emigrated to Melbourne 5th March 2012.

Guest BobN

Anyone moved a complete containerload (20ft or 40ft) from Uk to Australia? I am currently in Sydney, and we are looking to pack up in Uk and move some of our belongings to Sydney. I've heard 20ft is not half price of 40ft, and there is drawback in going for half container as you have to wait for the balance of the 40ft load to accompany your stuff to the same destination, inducing delay. Does anyone have recent pricing and experience of different removals companies? Tks for any info