"Cold" Xmas meal ideas

landv

What people normally have for their main xmas meal apart from the usual turkey?

I just really don't fancy putting the oven on to cook a traditional turkey and all the trimmings in the heat. I'm thinking to do some sort of cold platter.

Any nice ideas anyone?

We bought an electric spit roast for the barbie and do the Turkey outside. I put the tray with the roasties and chipolatas, stuffing, roasting veggies etc in a tray below the spit roasting turkey, close the lid and enjoy your day! For me Christmas wouldn't be Christmas with out the full works. We don't eat til about 4pm tho....jsut too hot to even eat it earlier!!!:cool:

Guest Guest31881

Providing we have decent weather the Turkey will be cooked outside on the BBQ and carved up outside, we will have a buffet style meal with salad, fruit and sea foods.

If I've got anything to do with it (and hopefully it'll be at my house rather than the in laws this year), a BBQ extraordinaire with:

smoked mackerel

sausages (decent pork ones)

gammon steak

porterhouse steak

peri peri chicken

halloumi

washed down with decent Marlborough Sauvy Blanc (maybe Sancerre once the inlaws have gone) and/or Stella

oh, and salad

Not having a traditional Christmas dinner is a godsend. For our first Christmas on holiday in Tassie we had a barbie on a beach with prawns, sausages and lamb chops from the esky, a bit of salad served on paper plates and cleaning up was wiping the barbie and chucking everything in the bin - so easy and no washing up.

We don't do turkey, didn't in the UK either. Here we have a barbie with lamb chops, salad, roast potatoes (done in tin foil on the barbie), garlic prawns for starter, might get octopus or something too this year.

Lots of champagne, beer and wine too!

Guest Bob Tonnor

Hi there

Whatever you decide on id suggest you serve with some nice big juicy prawns, salt and pepper and some lemon wedges! And a few coldies!

mmmmmm...

Bob

Providing we have decent weather the Turkey will be cooked outside on the BBQ and carved up outside, we will have a buffet style meal with salad, fruit and sea foods.

If you cook the turkey on the barbie, do you cook it as a whole and in tin foil?

What is the best way to cook it on the barbie?

If I've got anything to do with it (and hopefully it'll be at my house rather than the in laws this year), a BBQ extraordinaire with:

smoked mackerel

sausages (decent pork ones)

gammon steak

porterhouse steak

peri peri chicken

halloumi

washed down with decent Marlborough Sauvy Blanc (maybe Sancerre once the inlaws have gone) and/or Stella

oh, and salad

Sounds very posh. Excuse my ignorance but what is halloumi?

I was wondering what to do for Xmas instead of Turkey. I wasn't keen on it in the UK so don't fancy it in the heat of summer.

Think I've decided on some kind of seafood platter: Prawns, Lobster (though any tips on how to prepare would be appreciated - have never tried it at home), smoked salmon and cream cheese and lots of yummy side dishes and salad. Topped off with a Trifle, and some Pimms.

I have the in laws coming and am slightly dreading it so guess I'll need to be careful not to undercook the shellfish eh. :eek::biggrin:

Guest Guest31881
If you cook the turkey on the barbie, do you cook it as a whole and in tin foil?

use a spit roast on the BBQ to cook the Turkey and have a tray under it to collect the juices as it cooks and roast the veggies in there if you want to. :biggrin:

I was wondering what to do for Xmas instead of Turkey. I wasn't keen on it in the UK so don't fancy it in the heat of summer.

Think I've decided on some kind of seafood platter: Prawns, Lobster (though any tips on how to prepare would be appreciated - have never tried it at home), smoked salmon and cream cheese and lots of yummy side dishes and salad. Topped off with a Trifle, and some Pimms.

I have the in laws coming and am slightly dreading it so guess I'll need to be careful not to undercook the shellfish eh. :eek::biggrin:

I find lobster very expensive and a pain in the neck but prawns are easy and can be barbequed, grilled or cooked in a frying pan easily. Cook for 1 min each side max and you can make different marinades easily. Otherwise a big cold ham or lamb chops and salads are lovely. A fresh freuit salad is easy to do with a bit of cream or ice cram and the fruit is so much better here than in England.

With difficulty unless you have a smoker or a spit grill, on a smoker it will take several hours and on a spit oit will also take a long time....ahhhhh just stick it in the oven mate and save the barbie for the snags and bits that go with it.

I find lobster very expensive and a pain in the neck but prawns are easy and can be barbequed, grilled or cooked in a frying pan easily. Cook for 1 min each side max and you can make different marinades easily. Otherwise a big cold ham or lamb chops and salads are lovely. A fresh freuit salad is easy to do with a bit of cream or ice cram and the fruit is so much better here than in England.

Cheers for that. I figured that lobster may be expensive. Would make it a bit more stressful if I made a dogs dinner of it :shocked:.

Maybe I'll just stick to prawns. My in laws are pretty fussy and don't like the same thing which makes it a bit of a nightmare. Have learned my lesson not to ask them next year...:arghh:

Cheers for that. I figured that lobster may be expensive. Would make it a bit more stressful if I made a dogs dinner of it :shocked:.

Maybe I'll just stick to prawns. My in laws are pretty fussy and don't like the same thing which makes it a bit of a nightmare. Have learned my lesson not to ask them next year...:arghh:

If you are worried just stick in all in the oven as you know it will turn out fine, food cooked on the barbie can turn out tough unless you get it spot on, at least in the oven your in-laws will have no case for complaint.

With difficulty unless you have a smoker or a spit grill, on a smoker it will take several hours and on a spit oit will also take a long time....ahhhhh just stick it in the oven mate and save the barbie for the snags and bits that go with it.

I've neot tried it yet but "Beer up the bum chicken" looks easy. Just crack open a can and shove it up the chicken's bum so it sits on the beer can and roast it on the barbie. The beer keeps it moist and adds to the taste.

It looks hillarious if nothing else

http://www.wasabibratwurst.com/beer-butt-chicken-recipe/

I've neot tried it yet but "Beer up the bum chicken" looks easy. Just crack open a can and shove it up the chicken's bum so it sits on the beer can and roast it on the barbie. The beer keeps it moist and adds to the taste.

Tried it and highly recommend it!! Works well with a can of coke too if you have a BBQ type spice / marinade with the chicken.

Guest Sir Les Patterson
decent Marlborough Sauvy Blanc

Is there such a thing :laugh:??? but then I'm A Chardy person if I drink white.....or "bubbles" which the partner likes.

If I'm not working (if I am it will be airline food) it will be "Kingies" or Endeavour prawns (local here in Cairns) and mudcrabs which I get sent down from Sabaii Island in the Torres Straits ($5 each) and a fair bit of James Boags Premium Lager.........oh and like Harpo........some salad.

It's a hard rubbery salty Greek cheese which is excellent for grilling on the BBQ and IMO best served with sweet chilli sauce.

Have you tried it with a good quality honey..............magnificent

The first time we went to a barbie and watched that being cooked we were shocked to say the least hehe ... all good though !

Anyway we are having a big Ham cooked ( with the aircon on , in the oven .. ) with nice salads , oven cooked roasties, vegies like carrots and squash and other nibbles .. Not a huge fan of turkey to be fair , we used to have beef or pork in the uk with all the dressings:yes:

Guest guest17301

Loving all of these ideas.....

I missed my turkey the last few years...I might cook mine overnight this year so the kitchens not hot during the day...

Then we will put the barbie on for the other bits, roast veggies etc...want a proper stuffing too this year.....I miss being able to buy nice pre made dinner items like pigs in blankets/stuffing balls etc...made UK dinner less stressy, no time for making it all from scratch......might do a garlic prawn starter or some other prawn dish too...... Always stuck for dessert ideas as my awkward family all like different things but trifle is my fave, so might do a cheeseboard/fruit salad for everyone and then an individual trifle or xmas pud por moi!

Lashings of fizz and other alcoholic beverages to complete the picture