1st XMAS in Australia

caz2048

Hi

I'm 25 and from the uk and this will be my 1st Xmas in oz (brisbane) and I would love any hints or tips on how to make it good/enjoyable as not looking forward to being away from family back home!!

Would also love any suggestions on what Xmas presents are good to send family back home, so things that are easy to send (not too big or break)

Any info would be great :-)

Hi! This is a good thread for us new Ozzies. Do you have friends to spend it with? I don't know what we will end up doing, and tbh it won't really feel like Christmas to me personally so I probably won't be bothered. I guess the best thing would be to make the most of the weather and get out and have a bbq somewhere? Would love to hear what some of the more established Ozzies do, will you have family over?

I usually spend Xmas in Sydney with my brother's family which usually means going to his mother in law's house. He married into an Italian family so food is both important and plentiful. I remember the first time I went, after the first course, Emma asked me if I wanted any more and I said, 'no, I want to leave some room for the dessert.' She was shocked, 'That was just the entree!' I can't remember what the term is, but we just buy the one present for one member of the family?

I prefer to send picture postcards of Australia in lieu of Xmas Cards as I think they are easier and more 'Aussie' than winter pictures of snow-bound villages although you can get cards with Aussie themes of course.

I don't know about what kind of presents to send to UK - perhaps something small that would fit into a card & envelope? A fridge magnet for eg? Maybe those fridge magnets featuring the recipient's name on an Aussie car rego?

I'm not above using beer coasters from a pub or club as postcards either, especially if they say something like 'Xmas greetings from such and such club or pub!'

BBQ on the beach is popular but I'm pretty sure that at Bondi/Bronte/Coogee, the most popular beaches, there is a booze ban. Pick a more family-orientated beach like Neilsen Park and there's no problem taking booze.

I don't know what I'd do if I was spending Xmas on my own - probably just go to a club/pub/restaurant for a meal. Some people in Sydney like to volunteer to help at one of the homeless hostels which I've never done before but seems like a good way to get out of your own loneliness factor.

You are in Brisbane? Why not book into a youth hostel for a few nights - sure to be something on there or go to Surfers' / Noosa if you can get a room?

You know, if I was spending it on my own I would just go to the beach with my own little picnic and be happy to be amongst all the families.

I think our first Christmas is oging to be odd, we won't know anyone, won't be near family etc.... but it can't be as bad as last years which could be summed up as

Snow

Snow, traffic, snow

stuck, hotel,

ferry,

sick child 1

sick child 2

an 8 hour drive from Dublin to Cork

No running water

No heating oil

Annoying family members

more snow

Thank god for baby wipes, talc and hair straighteners!!

Sarah

i agree with you norfolk gal, although snow and frost is definitely more xmasy i actually dread winter, i worry my family wont be able to travel here at christmas in the snow and the transport is always distrupted and last year the running water went off for most the village. It'll feel very strange being in the sun but i think i'll enjoy it, well i hope so anyway!

i agree with you norfolk gal, although snow and frost is definitely more xmasy i actually dread winter, i worry my family wont be able to travel here at christmas in the snow and the transport is always distrupted and last year the running water went off for most the village. It'll feel very strange being in the sun but i think i'll enjoy it, well i hope so anyway!

Stacey, I am sure you will, and so will I!

S:yes:

Hi there. I'd make it as different as poss from your normal xmas experience, that way it'll be more fun and more memorable, especially if you're spending it with friends.

Personally, my first Xmas way from home was probably my best, spent at Lake Toba in Sumatra :wubclub:.

These days, Xmas is spent with my in laws.........:cry:

'Marley was dead" to begin with: There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was dead as a door-nail.'

'Marley was dead" to begin with: There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was dead as a door-nail.'

NON-Secateur_ouvert.jpg

huh????

Examples of NON SEQUITUR

1. We were talking about the new restaurant when she threw in some non sequitur about her dog.

He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sharp but he's still cut himself, Stacey, because the 'new restaurant' we are all discussing is 'Christmas' and the 'dog' is a somewhat famous, perhaps THE MOST FAMOUS, story about Xmas!

I didnt really bother with stockings when i was younger, sometimes would get some sweets n make up in them. I told mum not to bother with christmas presents this year, im far too old but shes went and got all my stuff today. Think shes worried it'll be our last xmas together. Quite a sad thought!

Hi

I'm 25 and from the uk and this will be my 1st Xmas in oz (brisbane) and I would love any hints or tips on how to make it good/enjoyable as not looking forward to being away from family back home!!

Would also love any suggestions on what Xmas presents are good to send family back home, so things that are easy to send (not too big or break)

Any info would be great :-)

as the others have said.. try do something that you probably wouldnt be able to do back home, surfing maybe? or a bbq? You'll probably still miss your family but at least your spending it with friends :wubclub:

as the others have said.. try do something that you probably wouldnt be able to do back home, surfing maybe? or a bbq? You'll probably still miss your family but at least your spending it with friends :wubclub:

My first Xmas, 1978, I was staying in a residential college at UNSW, and there were some missionary families staying there too - they were doing a linguistics course I seem to remember, to help them when they went up to PNG. Anyway, one of them slid a Xmas chocolate under my door on Xmas Day. I think my Mum was touched when I told her about it.

Here's the antidote to 'A Christmas Carol', from 'Diary of a New Chum' by Paul Wenz who was a Frenchman who came to OZ over a 100 years ago.)

'Christmas! I am told by the almanac that this is Christmas Day. The

thermometer marks 101 deg. under the verandah, and the flies are

swarming everywhere. You would expect that in Australia old Father

Christmas would be allowed to go without his furs, with scarcely

anything on. But imagination is hard to kill; the poor man in everybody's

mind as well as on the Christmas cards is obliged to be in full uniform.

We have a Christmas tree, and have to face a plum pudding just as

solid as the genuine English article. The fat goose is there, too!

O, for just one square yard of real snow! One breath of cold, snappy

wind, loaded with the scent of pines! If I live a hundred years in

Australia the 25th of December will be the day before the 26th, but never

Christmas.

All the same it was fairly gay to-day till after the long dinner, when

most of us felt sleepy.

I noticed that Thomson had a sprig of paper mistletoe (paper mistletoe,

think of it!) hanging from one of the beams of his store; I noticed, also,

that Miss Murphy had to go to the store to get some ink. It took her some

twenty minutes to get it!'