WHich insurance did you take out?

Guest suzannah

Guest suzannah

We're getting Pickfords to move us (NEXT WEEK!!!!!) and the last thing to sort with them is the insurance. I don't know what to take out.

Itemised, or total value! It seems so complicated and I have no idea what either are likely to cost - Pickfords can't say until they see what we want to insure.

So, what did you take out? Anything?:wacko:

Guest Beth101

We took out itemised insurance when moving - we were sent an A3 form to go through and write down an approximate value of every item we were shipping. The form already had a room by room breakdown to help you list everything - eg. Kitchen: Table, chairs, dining set, pots, small electrical appliances etc, and you could put down multiples of items - eg. 20 x shoes at £60 each etc It sounded like a daunting task but didn't actually take too long to do.

As for costs, they charged a premium of 1% of the total value, so for a value of £30,000 you pay a premium of £300.

We did make a claim, as our kitchen table was damaged in transit, however in the small print there was an excess of £250 and we had valued the table at £350 so we didn't receive much back.

If I was doing it again I would still take the insurance otherwise I would have been too stressed worrying about the ship sinking/going on fire/being attacked by pirates etc :wink:

We went with Letton Percival - definitely cheaper than the insurance from the moving company, and included more.

I wasn't very impressed with the rep from our movers, who when he realised we weren't going ot use their insurance started to bad-mouth L-P, saying claims would take longer etc etc... This didn't work for me in the end - just made me more determined to go with LP!

Mind you our stuff hasn't arrived yet (still off the coast of Portugal) so nfi if they'll be any good!

:)

We also did not take any insurance. The reasons for this were:

1) we were self-packing which means we would have to pay twice as much for insurance but would only get back a tiny amount if something happened at all

2) if something had happened no money in the world could have replaced the content of these 85 boxes which consisted of books (work related material)

We got lucky, nothing happened to our container load.

We self packed so could only insure for total loss not for damage in transit. Insurance is just an odds thing. Consider the odds of losing a container overboard, logically for it to be lost it would need to be on the top and outside row (pretty remote odds). Then the odds of it happening, also remote. Then consider if it doesn't drop overboard that the crane will drop it - remote.

We then asked the question, if we lost all the stuff would our life stop? Well it'd be upsetting to loose all the sentimental things. The car, motorbikes, pool table etc etc are all just toys. Yes it'd cost a fortune but we'd manage.

To sum it up we thought sod it it's worth the gamble. The outcome? A 40ft hi cube container with a car, 2 quad bikes, and completely full of stuff................a broken £20 vase.

I've just been on the phone to Ian at Letton Percival for a quote for insuring our belongings to go to Perth in January. Found him very good to deal with, he answered all my questions (there were many!) and we have been quoted a rate of 1.3% (does not include insurance premium tax) which also includes mould and mildew, electrical/mechanical derangement, and pairs and sets which are often optional extras on the removal companies insurance.

So I'm thinking I would like to use them although OH thinks it's better to go with the removal company as quicker to deal with one company. I disagree as I think it should be independant so there is no conflict of interest which I would have thought there would be if using a removal company. Oh dear :confused:

Guest Big Steve

We have just chosen Letton Percival. A 3rd of the premium for more cover than going with the movers. It's a simple tick box on the movers form to say NO to insurance. Dealing with Letton Percival (Ian) has been so easy. Just some emails, some scanned documents (breakdown of the value of our goods) and details for a bank transfer. We are now covered door to door. Whether they will honour any claim.....? I hope not to find out. As insurance is a numbers game - I'm sure I won't have any issues in the very unlikely event of needing to claim.