elderberry

Do you have less colds in Oz?

So, the windows are closed, the heating on and the office with those horrible warm air heaters has become a breeding ground for colds and flu. Yet again I have a cold :mad:

Question for migrants - Have you had less colds since leaving the UK?????

IELTS Academic 19/03/2011 Overall 8.5 | Skills Assessed CPA 18/06/11 | NSW State Sponsorship 19/09/11 | 176 Visa Lodged 06/10/11| CO Assigned 24/10/11| Police checks loaded 11/11/11| Medical 11/11/11, finalised 18/11/11, VISA GRANTED 21/11/11. Arrived 17/11/16 and settled in Melbourne

Citizenship App: 24 May 2020
Test Invitation: 
Test Date: 
Approval: 
Ceremony: 
Council: Port Phillip, Vic

Can't tell you for migrants going to Aus but I know that for the two months my grandkids were here in UK they didnt have runny noses AT ALL and they had been pretty constant for the past year in Canberra. No colds here for me yet either but I did come over with an absolute ripper which took a little while to recover from.

So, no, for us, the converse has been true.

Guest guest37336
So, the windows are closed, the heating on and the office with those horrible warm air heaters has become a breeding ground for colds and flu. Yet again I have a cold :mad:

Question for migrants - Have you had less colds since leaving the UK?????

Hi Elder.

Difficult one, but.

Never really suffered from colds and the like. But cannot remember getting a cold in OZ, but had many a sore throat due to going in and out of air con all the time.

But after some adjustment never bothered me.

But as far as cold and flu go I would imagine it is possible, but each person will react differently I guess.

Cheers Tony.

Oh well. I'm gonna believe I'll have less colds when I get to Oz:yes:

Think I'll steer clear of canberra Quoll! :laugh:

IELTS Academic 19/03/2011 Overall 8.5 | Skills Assessed CPA 18/06/11 | NSW State Sponsorship 19/09/11 | 176 Visa Lodged 06/10/11| CO Assigned 24/10/11| Police checks loaded 11/11/11| Medical 11/11/11, finalised 18/11/11, VISA GRANTED 21/11/11. Arrived 17/11/16 and settled in Melbourne

Test Invitation: 
Test Date: 
Approval: 
Ceremony: 

Guest sh7t man no way

i have more in queensland--its the dammed humidity--and they seem 2 last longer-nothing like a minus 2 degrees 2 kill the germs--and it costs me $90 for me flu jab:no:i get it for nowt when im in the uk:jiggy:aye the old NHS:notworthy:might not be perfect but it will do for me:yes:

Strange but I had far more sore throats and colds in Oz than I do here, maybe the warmth keeps the virus stronger.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

i have more in queensland--its the dammed humidity--and they seem 2 last longer-nothing like a minus 2 degrees 2 kill the germs--and it costs me $90 for me flu jab:no:i get it for nowt when im in the uk:jiggy:aye the old NHS:notworthy:might not be perfect but it will do for me:yes:

every bl***y year in the UK...3 times in Australia, none in Qld.:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest sh7t man no way

Cheers, Bobj.

just as well your in oz mate--at your age another cold may do for ya:wink::biglaugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

One a year in the UK anit bad bob, unless it lasted for 6 months:cute:

I get one or two colds a year here but i usually end up with one when i go on holiday, think i catch them from the plane. yuck

I think that a move overseas can often mean you become more prone to infections, colds and so on for a while. Just your body has immunity to the common things you have grown used to and it then has to adjust and build up immunity to the new stuff its exposed to. Same sort of thing when you go on holiday, sit on a flight and so on.

End of the day though, if you are generally fit and well and all that, chances are you won't notice a massive difference. Also the seasons you move about in can make a difference I'd think. If you've just come from somewhere where its autumn/winter and been exposed to colds and coughs then head somewhere where is is spring/summer or early autumn chances are you'll have better immunity. If that makes sense.

Guest Guest31881

I have had one cold since getting here and that was when I arrived, I presumed it was due to the planes air con passing the germs around to everyone.

I've had far more colds since being in Australia, and they tend to linger far longer. This winter has been better than last though, since we moved from an un-heatable rental, into a better insulated one such that I can now actually feel my toes for more than just the two minutes in the shower each morning...

Don't have as many colds but have had flu once. Really felt ill and had to come home from work. Spent a couple of days in bed and took a while before I was over it. I'm sure it's because we were fairly new arrivals and not used to the germs. Not had flu for the past few years and unlike the other poster on here always managed to get a flu jab for free if I wanted it. My wife is a nurse and turns down the flu jab avery year. For some reason she's not a massive beliver in them.

She or the boys never seem to get flu and I've not had it for a few years. It's hard to say whether the flu jab works or we've all just become used to the germs?

None of us seem to get colds though.

I've had more colds this winter in Brisbane than the last ten years in England . Whether it's working in people's houses where as I was outside 99% of the time in the uk , different strains or my refusal to wear many clothes because I'm in qld I don't know . But I did have the flu jab in England , and not because of my age !

So far, I have been far healthier in Oz. I used to always catch colds and would get regular flu type symptoms in the UK, but fingers crossed have only had one cold in 9 months here - which for me is amazing.

Partner visa lodged 5/7/10, subclass 309 Partner visa granted on 29/10/10. Permanent Residency visa granted 15/11/12. :cool:

Guest guest17301

Ive had a terrible year for colds, first 2 years we were here not much difference to be honest but when Winter hits its a shocker, we've all had almost constant, colds, throat/chest infections and tonsillitis from June to Sept. Got another one now. Before we emigrated I couldnt believe I would catch a cold in Oz, that showed me! I think a virus is a virus whichever country its in!

Ive had a terrible year for colds, first 2 years we were here not much difference to be honest but when Winter hits its a shocker, we've all had almost constant, colds, throat/chest infections and tonsillitis from June to Sept. Got another one now. Before we emigrated I couldnt believe I would catch a cold in Oz, that showed me! I think a virus is a virus whichever country its in!

Yes Fiona I was the same, constant colds in Oz which I can only put down to the fact that viruses can survive better in a warmer climate :eek:

I think if you are susceptible to hayfever or asthma you may find it a lot worse in Australia.

I can only really speak for Melbourne, but have been having bad hayfever this year. Must be a lot of pollen flying around.

I noticed when I was in Europe on holiday, I didn't need my ventolin inhaler even once, but at various time in Australia suffer quite a bit with hayfever and wheezyness.

Hayfever in spring. Asthma more so in winter.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Well here's my sob story, I asked a violinist to play along whilst people read this but he says only when I come out of quarantine.

Anyway, out of the 5'ish weeks I've been here I've been ill for 4'ish. If I get the flu in the UK it'll last a week and even then I'll still function and go about my day normally. These Aussie viruses are something else though. Even the doctor said it's been a bit of a menace and floored her for three days. Yesterday I had to double over when coughing such was the intensity of it. If I didn't it felt like I'd rupture my stomach. There's been times when I've felt like just jumping on a plane and going home. Though I'm glad I never because I'd probably be stuck in the middle of nowhere thanks to Qantas. When I was imagining coming over to Australia, laying in bed for three days was never in my thought.

At the moment I'm drinking smoothies galore. Everything and anything blended just to overload in nutrients. Tonight I had apple juice, broccoli, fennel and carrot. Which, was surprisingly good.

I've even resorted to the old wives tale of apple cider vinegar. Swigging it from the bottle such is my desperation to feel normal again. The smoothies seem to be working, and slowly things seem to be turning around.

One thing this episode has highlighted is how vulnerable we are as new arrivals. With no support around you and the "no recourse to public funds" stamped in your passport. It does make me realise how dependant we are on our health to establish our selves here in Australia.

In case anyone was wondering. Send me a PM and I'll forward my address so you can send the flowers, grapes and chocolates. :laugh:

Guest littlesarah

Personally, I doubt it has anything much to with climate - the viruses that cause colds and 'flu are pretty resilient. Sadly, hand hygiene is hard to carry out effectively when one has a streaming cold, and that's considered the number one transport mechanism for most infections.

When it comes to public transport, the evidence suggests that airplane aircon is less likely to be the culprit than the person who used the bathroom before you, or who sneezed on your seat as they boarded the plane. A few viral spores on your hand, you rub your eye, or touch your nose, and before you can say "I hate rhinovirus" you're incubating a lovely big cold!

There's probably something in the idea that a 'new' country will hold strains to which one hasn't yet developed immunity, that I can see.

I have to say that my hayfever is generally less severe, but tends to last for longer during the year.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Afro. I played you a suitably mournful tune on my fiddle, but I don't suppose you heard it from up here in NSW!!

These Aussie viruses are something else though.

Hope you get better soon Afro, I'd send ya flowers but they'd probably be dead by the time you got them, I'd send you chocs but they'd probably melt so I send you this instead :hug: ! You'll get over it soon for sure, take it easy.

Reminds me when I was there and got stung by a bee on my knee - was virtually crippled. Went to the docs and he said 'well it's just a bee sting mate' to which I said 'but look how much it's swelled up, never had that back in the UK' answer ' Yeah, its an ozy bee not a pommie bee, what dy'a expect!'

Love the aussies :smile:

Test Invitation: 
Test Date: 
Approval: 
Ceremony: 

:biglaugh:

TRA Bricklayer submitted 19/07/11 - Technical interview 10/08/11 - TRA successfully completed 11/08/11 - Employer nomination (drc) and visa application (non-drc) applied together 13/09/11 - Meds 22/09/11 - CO 14/10/11 - VISA 17/11/11 - Flights 30/12/11 citizenship 09/03/17

My parents lodged 143 contributory parent visa 18/03/15

request for form 80/meds/police check/AoS 10/10/17

AoS process commenced 16/10/17 and completed 14/02/18 

Case officer appointed 12/01/18 

All docs submitted and acknowledged 15/02/18

2nd VAC request 12/06/18

:biglaugh:

Yeh, you believe that Nicole.

Good Luck :biggrin:

Yeh, you believe that Nicole.

Good Luck :biggrin:

Nah, don't believe it for a second. Do think it's very funny though!

TRA Bricklayer submitted 19/07/11 - Technical interview 10/08/11 - TRA successfully completed 11/08/11 - Employer nomination (drc) and visa application (non-drc) applied together 13/09/11 - Meds 22/09/11 - CO 14/10/11 - VISA 17/11/11 - Flights 30/12/11 citizenship 09/03/17

My parents lodged 143 contributory parent visa 18/03/15

request for form 80/meds/police check/AoS 10/10/17

AoS process commenced 16/10/17 and completed 14/02/18 

Case officer appointed 12/01/18 

All docs submitted and acknowledged 15/02/18

2nd VAC request 12/06/18