How much does it cost you to fly back to the UK?

bell123321

be careful with kinsure and read all the small print. Amongst other things, pre-existing conditions are not covered, when I looked at the small print a couple of years ago, I realised that there were actually very few situations in which they would pay out.

I prefer to self-insure, making sure I keep a buffer in my savings account that would cover emergency flights home if necessary. This way I can afford to go when I feel the need to, rather than when someone on the other end of an insurance contract condescends to help.

Not been in this situation myself, but know people who have needed emergency flights, and apparently many airlines will do you a compassionate fare, especially if you're a member of their frequent flyer club (all the more reason to sign up).

So if ever anyone needs an emergency flight, generally instead of just looking online, it's best to take some evidence of why you need to travel, and go a talk to the highest ranked person at the ticket office of the airline. There are several strings that they can pull under special circumstances.

e.g. they'll often give it to you for the standard fare, rather than the jacked up last minute price, or let you use airmiles even if there's no "airmiles seats" left on the plane, or bump someone up to business to get you an economy seat on the next flight out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had to book emergency/compassionate fares on a number of occassions, always BA or Qantas, and in all cases have paid what I would call a reasonable fare (under 1000 quid return)given the circumstances (flying within 24 hours). This was from the UK to Australia.

One crazy time Qantas wanted 2200 quid, and BA would sell us the same flight for 900.

Anyway, as Quoll says, all you need is a passport and a credit card - there are circumstances when nothing else really matters and you have to get 'home'.